Overclocking the FX 8150

Jan 28, 2013
Hello, there.

I've recently been playing PlanetSide 2 with semi-low framerates. During a large battle, my framerate drops to under 30 fps.

I figured this was a fairly normal problem, as the game does feature such huge and detailed battles. But then a friend of mine purchased a PC with a Ivy Bridge i7 3770. I realize this is a higher-end processor, but I decided to attempt to overclock my cpu to try to emulate his performance.

I started tweaking some settings in my motherboard's click-bios. Turning off the automatic "turbo" setting, and turning up the multiplier.

The problem is, I couldn't get any higher than 4.2 without Prime95 BSoDing me. So I figured it was a voltage issue.

I decided I wasn't knowledgeable enough to tweak the voltage, so I disabled 4 cores so I had only two running, and was able to get up to 4.5ghz without Prime95 making me BSoD.

Then I jumped into PlanetSide 2 and was pretty happy with the results, sure I wasn't getting a perfectly high framerate, but I only rarely dipped below 40fps.

After about 25 minutes of play, I BSoD'd. And after a reboot, I tried playing again and only went 8 minutes withough BSoDing.

What would you guys recommend? I really want higher performance in the game, and lowering settings really doesn't help my framerate issues at all. I know for a fact that I am CPU bottlenecked because the in-game FPS counter shows your bottleneck.

PS: When running Prime95 I received several errors on two of the four cores that were activated, what could that mean?

EDIT: PPS: I'm fairly confident that overheating isn't to blame, it stays at around 61c under load with a V6GT cooler.

Here are my current specs:
CPU: AMD FX 8150
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990fx
Ram: G.Skill DDR 3 4gb x2

Solution
You are going to need to use custom voltage settings. Googleing an overclocking guide for the fx series might be of use to you. Have fun :)
Jan 28, 2013
Update: I now have it running stable at 4.5ghz! Upped the voltage a tad and it seems to be working well. PlanetSide 2 averages above 35 now. And FarCry 3 now stays in the 50-60 range. Unfortunately GuildWars 2 is still a hog, I'll never be able to spin the camera smoothly in that game, haha. Thanks for your help everyone! If you have any other tips to further boost performance let me know :)