a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 12:10:11 PM

Old news I'm afraid.
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 12:10:53 PM

Old News; Posted yesterday.
Related resources
March 6, 2010 12:19:59 PM

can u explain how it 'matches' performance???

So when u get a heavy rendered scene and your 5870 drops to 17fps and is nearly unplayable....and the gtx 480 is still happilly playing along @ 35fps?? theyre matched?? i dont get it?

min FPS is the ONLY thing that matters really....u'll need 2 5870's to play the game without hiccups vs 1 gtx 480???
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 12:38:12 PM

In unigine's demo.
March 6, 2010 12:40:15 PM

i can understand that, but you would naturally assume that its going to be similar in games that use tessalation...
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 12:44:04 PM

That is the big question, Unigine uses an unusual amount of tesselation at the expense of other things. Games will most likely not use it to such an extent and there is still the question of how nvidia will be able to utilise their tesselation units when the shaders they are linked to are utilised for other functions.
March 6, 2010 12:48:41 PM

Quote:
It's all well and good being able to handle extreme amounts of tesselation, but it'll only matter to the end user if game designers use it as extensively as this benchmark did.

add to the end of that "without antialiasing". This was also using unigene 1.1 compared to the 5870 using version 1.0. could it be twimtbp nonsense again?

if nVidias 300 watt top range monster card can only beat the 5870, with heavy tesselation and no antialising, while using an optimised benchmark, it is a lot worse than anybody feared.
March 6, 2010 12:55:40 PM

nfail said:
Quote:
It's all well and good being able to handle extreme amounts of tesselation, but it'll only matter to the end user if game designers use it as extensively as this benchmark did.

add to the end of that "without antialiasing". This was also using unigene 1.1 compared to the 5870 using version 1.0. could it be twimtbp nonsense again?

if nVidias 300 watt top range monster card can only beat the 5870, with heavy tesselation and no antialising, while using an optimised benchmark, it is a lot worse than anybody feared.

and not to mention probably more expensive, haha.

BUT if this displays similar results in games then its nearly 2x as effective when it counts.

March 6, 2010 1:07:16 PM

that depends, would you accept no antialiasing on a range topping graphics card because i wouldnt.

I mentioned before the 470 beats the 5870 in unigene without aa too, but when 8x antialising is added the 470 can only beat the 5850 by 1 fps.
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 1:32:21 PM

Until we know actual pricing and actual performance by independant reviewers we can't say anything about what competes with what. Simple as.
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 2:20:04 PM

nfail said:
Quote:

unigine 1.1?? i cant find 1.1 version on google or their homepage :S
March 6, 2010 2:30:19 PM

i know nVidia got access to a "special" version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpdPSZB8A8E

fastforward to 1 minute 5 seconds and look at the top of the screen, you can see Unigene Heaven Benchmark 1.1

Now look at this - http://twitter.com/binstream/status/9518230933

even with these advantages, nvidia had to run the benchmark with no antialias and 1x anisotropic filtering. What that does is allow the polymorph engine to concentrate fully on tesselating, showing it at its maximum strength.

just typical nVidia smoke and mirrors, if they had showed it against a 5970 it would lose by a lot.
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 2:31:58 PM

You assume it would lose by a lot. Anyway, this is as important as 3dmark.
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 6, 2010 2:39:35 PM

strangestranger said:
You assume it would lose by a lot. Anyway, this is as important as the vista benchmarking tool.

Fixed.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 6, 2010 2:46:30 PM

Faster Higher Quality Anti-Aliasing
[/img]

With the PolyMorph Engine, GF100 implements the world’s first scalable geometry pipeline with up to 16 individual tessellation engines on a single GPU. These engines deliver revolutionary performance in DirectX 11’s most important new graphics feature, GPU-accelerated tessellation. By allowing more detailed geometry to be packed into a scene, tessellation lets developers create more complex environments with beautiful visual clarity. Blocky edges are smoothed out, allowing game characters to be rendered with cinema-quality detail. And since tessellation is only applied to necessary areas, game performance is not compromised.
a c 217 U Graphics card
a c 81 Î Nvidia
March 6, 2010 2:57:51 PM

And what exactly does that mean to you?

To me, it means with heavy tessellation, it can be comformed to handle a ton of tessellation at the expense of normal processing power. This will mean that dev's will have to balance it's use carefully, it also means that with a lot of tessellation, it "can" perform a lot better than the 5000 series.

What that does not say is how well it performs normal tasks. It might not compromise the performance the card can normally handle, but it doesn't say it will perform up to the standards of any specific card.

The concept is cool, and may be the wave of the future. How well it works today is still up in the air until we see an array of benchmarks. You can bet the cards performance is going to have peaks and valleys, much more so than anything we've seen so far.
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 6, 2010 2:58:59 PM

I'm still laughing that nVidia downed DX11. And this whole thing is over Tesselation, where GPGPU/dedicated tessellators will come in handy.
!