Network windows 7

rdc363

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
You need a passive stumbler application. For windows you'll need an Airpcap adapter to get in RF mode. With Linux most wireless cards can be put into RF monitor mode and Kismet will pick them up. However, you may need a tool to perform a deauthentication attack first.

Why is it hidden and if you know it's there, why can you not go in to the router's settings and unhide it? Is it that you want to hack someone else's network? That's illegal and you should get no help here but i fyou have a genuine problem, post some more details

[/#000ff]

rdc363

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
That is a bit presumptuous. He asked a simple question, in a legitimate context, and deserved a legitimate answer. Of course, hitting the power button on a computer can be the precursor to an attack, as well.

There is nothing wrong with curiosity! That is why I answered his question, intent, in my book is important. It looked as though the original poster was just curious. Besides, if they do not understand enough about WiFi to find a hidden/cloaked ESSID, they're not much of WiFi H@x0r.

I take your point that I may have jumped to a premature conclusion and apologise to the OP if I'm wrong. That said, we're three days down the line, and he hasn't come back. Maybe I default to caution when posting on things that can lead to illegality and intent is difficult to read into some posts. Supposing someone had told the OP this was all possible without mentioning the possibility of going to jail for doing it - do we not have a responsibility to point that out?

Best we agree to differ on this one but I personally think the industry has already had to step up wireless security twice if not three times in just a few recent years and costs could go down for all of us if the spread of the disease could be restricted to the crooks and not to every kid who wants to poach a bit of music and let someone else get caught for it.