Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

System Restore

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
December 4, 2004 11:04:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I had a problem with my system a week ago and tried to restore
it back a couple of days using System Restore. Well, it restored
but didn't correct the problem. In fact, it created more problems
because I had installed some Office software and then I had to
reinstall three programs again 'cause I was not able to choose
the restore point. I didn't know what software caused the initial problem.
I know, I should've created restore point(s) prior to installing each
program. I didn't because System Restore creates restore point prior
to a new installation. (at least I think it does). Anyway, enough of
my dislike for System Restore.
I need to ask about three questions.
1) Is there a right and wrong way to use system restore?
2) Can I or Should I disable System Restore? And what ever
happened to the _Restore folder??
3) Is there any backup software that simply backs up system files
that someone can recommend??

Any help will be appreciated,
James

More about : system restore

Anonymous
December 4, 2004 4:23:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hi

What was the original problem? Perhaps SR wasn't the way to correct it.
System Restore shouldn't be disabled as it can save your system and restore
it to a working system.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups


"JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
news:o 0760Gg2EHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I had a problem with my system a week ago and tried to restore
> it back a couple of days using System Restore. Well, it restored
> but didn't correct the problem. In fact, it created more problems
> because I had installed some Office software and then I had to
> reinstall three programs again 'cause I was not able to choose
> the restore point. I didn't know what software caused the initial problem.
> I know, I should've created restore point(s) prior to installing each
> program. I didn't because System Restore creates restore point prior
> to a new installation. (at least I think it does). Anyway, enough of
> my dislike for System Restore.
> I need to ask about three questions.
> 1) Is there a right and wrong way to use system restore?
> 2) Can I or Should I disable System Restore? And what ever
> happened to the _Restore folder??
> 3) Is there any backup software that simply backs up system files
> that someone can recommend??
>
> Any help will be appreciated,
> James
>
December 4, 2004 4:23:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

This isn't the first time I couldn't restore my system. Initially,
I was using a themes manager, 'cause I liked all the bells and
whistles and I was unable to save themes in the Display Properties. I
wouldn't
get any error messages but when I went to ...My Documents
(which from my understanding is were, by default, one's theme is
saved when one clicks the Save As button) there was no theme in that folder.
Doing a search of my entire hard drive I found the theme in My Recent
Documents,
a folder I don't have anymore after I formatted my hard drive and
reinstalled
a fresh copy of XP. I formatted after uninstalling the themes manager
and found the problem still existed. I posted the question concerning the
inability to save themes and was told to try restoring to a restore point
using
System Restore.
It really wasn't a big deal I usually format once a year.
I don't recall what the problem was this time when I was reinstalling all my
software.
This last time I didn't format. Everything seems to be fine now except for a
couple of issues like: I used to have a folder called _RESTORE now I don't.
I used have
a folder called ...My Recent Documents now I don't. I'm a bit hesitant to
use a
themes manager which I have already purchased a registration for.

James

"Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:o QenlRg2EHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> What was the original problem? Perhaps SR wasn't the way to correct it.
> System Restore shouldn't be disabled as it can save your system and
> restore it to a working system.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
>
> "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
> news:o 0760Gg2EHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>I had a problem with my system a week ago and tried to restore
>> it back a couple of days using System Restore. Well, it restored
>> but didn't correct the problem. In fact, it created more problems
>> because I had installed some Office software and then I had to
>> reinstall three programs again 'cause I was not able to choose
>> the restore point. I didn't know what software caused the initial
>> problem.
>> I know, I should've created restore point(s) prior to installing each
>> program. I didn't because System Restore creates restore point prior
>> to a new installation. (at least I think it does). Anyway, enough of
>> my dislike for System Restore.
>> I need to ask about three questions.
>> 1) Is there a right and wrong way to use system restore?
>> 2) Can I or Should I disable System Restore? And what ever
>> happened to the _Restore folder??
>> 3) Is there any backup software that simply backs up system files
>> that someone can recommend??
>>
>> Any help will be appreciated,
>> James
>>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 5:15:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hi

The _Restore folder is a sub folder in System Volume Information, which
holds all the SR files. It is a hidden folder so you will have to show it
via Windows Explorer:

Tools>Folder Options>View - then enable 'Show hidden files and folders'.

If that option is already enabled, have you disabled System Restore?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups


"JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
news:eGFOzqg2EHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> This isn't the first time I couldn't restore my system. Initially,
> I was using a themes manager, 'cause I liked all the bells and
> whistles and I was unable to save themes in the Display Properties. I
> wouldn't
> get any error messages but when I went to ...My Documents
> (which from my understanding is were, by default, one's theme is
> saved when one clicks the Save As button) there was no theme in that
> folder.
> Doing a search of my entire hard drive I found the theme in My Recent
> Documents,
> a folder I don't have anymore after I formatted my hard drive and
> reinstalled
> a fresh copy of XP. I formatted after uninstalling the themes manager
> and found the problem still existed. I posted the question concerning the
> inability to save themes and was told to try restoring to a restore point
> using
> System Restore.
> It really wasn't a big deal I usually format once a year.
> I don't recall what the problem was this time when I was reinstalling all
> my software.
> This last time I didn't format. Everything seems to be fine now except for
> a
> couple of issues like: I used to have a folder called _RESTORE now I
> don't. I used have
> a folder called ...My Recent Documents now I don't. I'm a bit hesitant to
> use a
> themes manager which I have already purchased a registration for.
>
> James
>
> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:o QenlRg2EHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Hi
>>
>> What was the original problem? Perhaps SR wasn't the way to correct it.
>> System Restore shouldn't be disabled as it can save your system and
>> restore it to a working system.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>
>>
>> "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
>> news:o 0760Gg2EHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>>I had a problem with my system a week ago and tried to restore
>>> it back a couple of days using System Restore. Well, it restored
>>> but didn't correct the problem. In fact, it created more problems
>>> because I had installed some Office software and then I had to
>>> reinstall three programs again 'cause I was not able to choose
>>> the restore point. I didn't know what software caused the initial
>>> problem.
>>> I know, I should've created restore point(s) prior to installing each
>>> program. I didn't because System Restore creates restore point prior
>>> to a new installation. (at least I think it does). Anyway, enough of
>>> my dislike for System Restore.
>>> I need to ask about three questions.
>>> 1) Is there a right and wrong way to use system restore?
>>> 2) Can I or Should I disable System Restore? And what ever
>>> happened to the _Restore folder??
>>> 3) Is there any backup software that simply backs up system files
>>> that someone can recommend??
>>>
>>> Any help will be appreciated,
>>> James
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
December 4, 2004 5:15:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Access is denied to System Volume Information. I didn't
disable SR although I believe I did cut it back to 5%. Disk
space is no issue.

James

"Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:%23%23uN5ug2EHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> The _Restore folder is a sub folder in System Volume Information, which
> holds all the SR files. It is a hidden folder so you will have to show it
> via Windows Explorer:
>
> Tools>Folder Options>View - then enable 'Show hidden files and folders'.
>
> If that option is already enabled, have you disabled System Restore?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
>
> "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
> news:eGFOzqg2EHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> This isn't the first time I couldn't restore my system. Initially,
>> I was using a themes manager, 'cause I liked all the bells and
>> whistles and I was unable to save themes in the Display Properties. I
>> wouldn't
>> get any error messages but when I went to ...My Documents
>> (which from my understanding is were, by default, one's theme is
>> saved when one clicks the Save As button) there was no theme in that
>> folder.
>> Doing a search of my entire hard drive I found the theme in My Recent
>> Documents,
>> a folder I don't have anymore after I formatted my hard drive and
>> reinstalled
>> a fresh copy of XP. I formatted after uninstalling the themes manager
>> and found the problem still existed. I posted the question concerning
>> the
>> inability to save themes and was told to try restoring to a restore point
>> using
>> System Restore.
>> It really wasn't a big deal I usually format once a year.
>> I don't recall what the problem was this time when I was reinstalling all
>> my software.
>> This last time I didn't format. Everything seems to be fine now except
>> for a
>> couple of issues like: I used to have a folder called _RESTORE now I
>> don't. I used have
>> a folder called ...My Recent Documents now I don't. I'm a bit hesitant to
>> use a
>> themes manager which I have already purchased a registration for.
>>
>> James
>>
>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> news:o QenlRg2EHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> What was the original problem? Perhaps SR wasn't the way to correct it.
>>> System Restore shouldn't be disabled as it can save your system and
>>> restore it to a working system.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Will Denny
>>> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>>
>>>
>>> "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
>>> news:o 0760Gg2EHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>>>I had a problem with my system a week ago and tried to restore
>>>> it back a couple of days using System Restore. Well, it restored
>>>> but didn't correct the problem. In fact, it created more problems
>>>> because I had installed some Office software and then I had to
>>>> reinstall three programs again 'cause I was not able to choose
>>>> the restore point. I didn't know what software caused the initial
>>>> problem.
>>>> I know, I should've created restore point(s) prior to installing each
>>>> program. I didn't because System Restore creates restore point prior
>>>> to a new installation. (at least I think it does). Anyway, enough of
>>>> my dislike for System Restore.
>>>> I need to ask about three questions.
>>>> 1) Is there a right and wrong way to use system restore?
>>>> 2) Can I or Should I disable System Restore? And what ever
>>>> happened to the _Restore folder??
>>>> 3) Is there any backup software that simply backs up system files
>>>> that someone can recommend??
>>>>
>>>> Any help will be appreciated,
>>>> James
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 5:57:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hi

Try going back into Windows Explorer, this time disable 'Hide protected
operating system files (Recommended)'. 5% is OK depending on the size of
your hard disk/partition. The default is 12%, which is way too much disk
space to make available to System Restore.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups


"JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
news:%233mEu6g2EHA.2804@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Access is denied to System Volume Information. I didn't
> disable SR although I believe I did cut it back to 5%. Disk
> space is no issue.
>
> James
>
> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:%23%23uN5ug2EHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> Hi
>>
>> The _Restore folder is a sub folder in System Volume Information, which
>> holds all the SR files. It is a hidden folder so you will have to show
>> it via Windows Explorer:
>>
>> Tools>Folder Options>View - then enable 'Show hidden files and folders'.
>>
>> If that option is already enabled, have you disabled System Restore?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>
>>
>> "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
>> news:eGFOzqg2EHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> This isn't the first time I couldn't restore my system. Initially,
>>> I was using a themes manager, 'cause I liked all the bells and
>>> whistles and I was unable to save themes in the Display Properties. I
>>> wouldn't
>>> get any error messages but when I went to ...My Documents
>>> (which from my understanding is were, by default, one's theme is
>>> saved when one clicks the Save As button) there was no theme in that
>>> folder.
>>> Doing a search of my entire hard drive I found the theme in My Recent
>>> Documents,
>>> a folder I don't have anymore after I formatted my hard drive and
>>> reinstalled
>>> a fresh copy of XP. I formatted after uninstalling the themes manager
>>> and found the problem still existed. I posted the question concerning
>>> the
>>> inability to save themes and was told to try restoring to a restore
>>> point using
>>> System Restore.
>>> It really wasn't a big deal I usually format once a year.
>>> I don't recall what the problem was this time when I was reinstalling
>>> all my software.
>>> This last time I didn't format. Everything seems to be fine now except
>>> for a
>>> couple of issues like: I used to have a folder called _RESTORE now I
>>> don't. I used have
>>> a folder called ...My Recent Documents now I don't. I'm a bit hesitant
>>> to use a
>>> themes manager which I have already purchased a registration for.
>>>
>>> James
>>>
>>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> news:o QenlRg2EHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>>> Hi
>>>>
>>>> What was the original problem? Perhaps SR wasn't the way to correct
>>>> it. System Restore shouldn't be disabled as it can save your system and
>>>> restore it to a working system.
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>>
>>>> Will Denny
>>>> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
>>>> news:o 0760Gg2EHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>>>>I had a problem with my system a week ago and tried to restore
>>>>> it back a couple of days using System Restore. Well, it restored
>>>>> but didn't correct the problem. In fact, it created more problems
>>>>> because I had installed some Office software and then I had to
>>>>> reinstall three programs again 'cause I was not able to choose
>>>>> the restore point. I didn't know what software caused the initial
>>>>> problem.
>>>>> I know, I should've created restore point(s) prior to installing each
>>>>> program. I didn't because System Restore creates restore point prior
>>>>> to a new installation. (at least I think it does). Anyway, enough of
>>>>> my dislike for System Restore.
>>>>> I need to ask about three questions.
>>>>> 1) Is there a right and wrong way to use system restore?
>>>>> 2) Can I or Should I disable System Restore? And what ever
>>>>> happened to the _Restore folder??
>>>>> 3) Is there any backup software that simply backs up system files
>>>>> that someone can recommend??
>>>>>
>>>>> Any help will be appreciated,
>>>>> James
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 7:00:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

> I know, I should've created restore point(s) prior to installing each
> program. I didn't because System Restore creates restore point prior
> to a new installation. (at least I think it does). Anyway, enough of
> my dislike for System Restore.

System Restore has saved me more than just a couple times. I must have used
it a dozen times with WinME and just used it for the first time with XP. I
got a nasty bug that took me two days to get rid of. When it was finally
gone, I couldn't access the internet. I think I deleted some necessary files
while trying to delete the trojan. The first system restore point I chose
didn't help, but the second try fixed the problem completely. I'd think the
more space you give to system restore the more restore points will be
available. I had six to chose from. I've reinstalled the operating system a
dozen times too in the past (with WinME and Win 95 both). That's anything
but fun.

Larry Davis
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 9:32:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

If you have had a need to reinstall the Registry and windows the number of
times you say, I venture to suggest you are the last person to give advice
on how to manage a system!


"larryonline" <larryonline@dslnorthwest.net> wrote in message
news:eWn%23C$%232EHA.1144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> I know, I should've created restore point(s) prior to installing each
>> program. I didn't because System Restore creates restore point prior
>> to a new installation. (at least I think it does). Anyway, enough of
>> my dislike for System Restore.
>
> System Restore has saved me more than just a couple times. I must have
> used it a dozen times with WinME and just used it for the first time with
> XP. I got a nasty bug that took me two days to get rid of. When it was
> finally gone, I couldn't access the internet. I think I deleted some
> necessary files while trying to delete the trojan. The first system
> restore point I chose didn't help, but the second try fixed the problem
> completely. I'd think the more space you give to system restore the more
> restore points will be available. I had six to chose from. I've
> reinstalled the operating system a dozen times too in the past (with WinME
> and Win 95 both). That's anything but fun.
>
> Larry Davis
>
!