CPU $ vs. SSD $ - Hard Choice Please Help!

I am "trying" to select a system and I am painfully struggling with the following choices. I have a hard-budget and option 1 is my max+.

1. i7-930 (2.80GHz) + [Corsair] 256GB SSD (+$200 US)
2. i7-975 Extreme (3.33GHz) + [WD] RAID 1 SATA III/(2X)1TB HHD/64MB Cache /7200 RPM

Obviously, I realize the SSD drive is faster than the HHD but so is the CPU in the above. Yes, I prefer RAID 1 "peace of mind" - this system is used in my day to day life (I will never RAID 0 a HDD). My thoughts are once the initial application + data is loaded it is all about CPU, but Filemaker Pro is about Disk + CPU.

However, for example I run Filemaker Pro with *HUGE* (6 GB+ - textual ; 18-60 related record files) records Millions of records and the some relational searches take 5+ minutes and a weekly data output that can take several hours to process. The non-indexable relational searches are what bothers me the most.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! :)

Basic build info:
MOBO GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R w/ SATA III+RAID
RAM 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Corsair Dominator

The ONLY reason is that I found a great deal with the i7 975 for $600 (normally it's $900-$1000) verses the i7 930 at $290 which is close to 50% off though a vendor. Sale = Buy according to my wife! Hence, my budget got blown for my greeeeedy eye on the i7 975. Budgets suck ... otherwise everyone would have $10K+ systems. I began with a $1000 then went to $1300 now I'm looking at $1700+ and need to get real and stop at $1500 - BTW because I'm married so I'm going to be in the dog house as it is.

Thanks!

I purchased the i7 930 with a 128GB SSD + 1 TB [WD] SATA III/1TB HHD/64MB Cache /7200 RPM for the Documents. I came within my target budget of <$1,500 after discounts and MIRs.

This is a Business rig for my Wife at home and she does not play games. I got an okay HD 5770 GPU that I can crossfire in the future. The system is also water cooled for noise and just in case I mildly overclock. It's all about Performance-to-Money.

Thanks!

basket687

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009

In fact I would get the newly released i7 875k if I wanted a fully unlocked quad core, it is cheaper than the i7 975 and not really inferior to it.

That's okay. Threads and especially opinions are what it is all about. In the next few months I will need to replace my current machine and like everything new stuff is always coming.

5 years from now people will be belly laughing about i7s and that $1500 machine will be $100 after a rebate...

Thanks!!!

---

FYI - I priced a similar system from Dell XPS 9000 with a RAID 1 (x2) 1TB and a i7 920 that came out to $1,798.99 ; stock CPU cooler, 8 Gb DDR3 [Dual Chanel] (4 x 2 1066Mhz), "spaghetti wired", and I am certain with very junky components... Unless you go to Alienware no SSD and no liquid cooling, but you'll pay even more $$.

Read does not wear an SSD at all. Write does. How much of this usage with filemaker pro is write? Specs-wise, modern SSDs can take GBs per day and still last 10 years or so. (WD specsheet for their blue SSDs)