Solved

Overheating And Auto Shutdown

Hi Guys,I'm New here
I just burnt my Zotac Geforce 9800gt. To prevent this in the future Please suggest a good hardware monitoring software which will automatically shutdown my PC if Temps Cross values which i can set. Couldn't find the settings in bios.
My PC
Core2Duo E7400@2.8Ghz
2GB DDR2 667Mhz
Intel DG41RQ Mobo
Zotac Geforce 9800GT 512MB
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about overheating auto shutdown
  1. First off, unless you have warranty on that 9800Gt, I strongly recommend upgrading to an ATI card. The equivalent of your 9800GT would be around the HD5670/HD5750. ($85 and $120, respectively). However, the best-deal on any ATI card right now is the HD5770, priced at a mere $140.

    If you do choose nVidia, I recommend not updating your drivers. nVidia's latest drivers have burnt several tens of thousands of graphics cards; you are not alone. The drivers prevented the fan from functioning on the graphics card, which caused massive overheating.

    As for BIOS settings; your PC will only shut down if your process (CPU) reaches above a certain point, I think. The default is 65'c, I believe.
  2. Uh, oh. Do you have the new Nvidia drivers? They have been blowing a lot of cards recently. Well, either RMA the card, or buy you'reself a 4850 1gb, or a 5770 or a 5850/5870/5970 depending on budget.
  3. shadow187 said:
    First off, unless you have warranty on that 9800Gt, I strongly recommend upgrading to an ATI card. The equivalent of your 9800GT would be around the HD5670/HD5750. ($85 and $120, respectively). However, the best-deal on any ATI card right now is the HD5770, priced at a mere $140.

    If you do choose nVidia, I recommend not updating your drivers. nVidia's latest drivers have burnt several tens of thousands of graphics cards; you are not alone. The drivers prevented the fan from functioning on the graphics card, which caused massive overheating.

    As for BIOS settings; your PC will only shut down if your process (CPU) reaches above a certain point, I think. The default is 65'c, I believe.


    Thanks for the Reply. I have given my card to my dealer and am hoping for a replacement in 15-20 days. Secondly Please suggest a software.
    Also what is the ideal cooling required by a 9800gt. Thinking of going for a new case. Should Cooler master RC310 With 2 120mm Fans be enough.
  4. It's not a cooling problem. You just need to go back to the old drivers, and you're fine.
  5. More than enough with 2 120mm fans.

    For software, I am not too sure.
  6. builderbobftw said:
    It's not a cooling problem. You just need to go back to the old drivers, and you're fine.

    Its not the drivers. i was on the old ones. Actually I had a pathetic case with just 1 80mm fan .
  7. What about a software. is there no software to save GPUs from frying
  8. Use the old drivers. So yes, ther is. Also, download GPU-Z.

    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
  9. I want something to warn me or shutdown. or something to show temp ingame
  10. Best answer
    chinuhark said:
    I want something to warn me or shutdown. or something to show temp ingame

    Rivatuner, if you enable the OSD then you can monitor whilst you game.
  11. Mousemonkey said:
    Rivatuner, if you enable the OSD then you can monitor whilst you game.

    Finally what I was looking for THANKS
  12. You're welcome.
  13. Best answer selected by chinuhark.
  14. Hi, Im new and inexperienced.

    I have an nvidia gtx 280 and my screen keeps going completely haywire.. like pink and blue or yellow and geen is this something that overheating a graphics card would do?
  15. It does sound like a symptom of overheating VRAM, yes.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Zotac Shutdown Geforce Graphics Product