Sign in with
Your question

Pentium D 9xx series on dimension 5150

Last response: in CPUs
May 30, 2010 3:32:48 AM

So this is just speculation and known that yes, most likely this won't happen, but i have a pentium D 960 i believe laying around somewhere in my house. my friend just gave it to me when one of his older computer died from motherboard problems. So our family desktop is a dimension 5150.

a quick look at wikipedia shows, that all intel express 945 chipsets support pentium D processors. So that doesn't seem to be a problem I know that it won't work out of the box as i tried it out some time ago, and of course nothing.

I pretty much wanted to see if there was a hacked bios that would allow me to use it. if not no real lose, it's not my primary computer, i was just thinking about using it to run some folding at home when my mom isn't using it
a c 159 à CPUs
May 30, 2010 10:44:31 AM

Don't even think about messing with an oem bios. You could end up with a dead board. Oem boards cost more, and the 960 isn't that fast compared to the newer Intel cpus. Not worth risking a board over.
m
l
May 30, 2010 1:15:41 PM

Dowload Everest here to get full board info

The latest of the Dell BIOS updates may solve the issue. Double check my link to ensure that this is the correct page for your particular Dimension 5150. You get the idea at least.

Backup your BIOS before making any changes. Ensure that you have the correct BIOS flash utility and files, THIS IS CRITICAL, incorrectly flashing your BIOS will kill the machine.

Is your board model a HJ054? Apparently this one does support P-D processors. All others apparently do not. It's heresay evidence anyway.

Even if you could find a BIOS hack for this and get the unit running, there is no telling how long it would run for. Differences in the board operating requirements and mismatched BIOS data could kill the unit. It's an interesting project, but not one to undertake on a machine that you actually need ;-)
m
l
Related resources
May 30, 2010 4:17:20 PM

o1die said:
Don't even think about messing with an oem bios. You could end up with a dead board. Oem boards cost more, and the 960 isn't that fast compared to the newer Intel cpus. Not worth risking a board over.

yeah i'm perfectly aware of the the risks involed, and i know the pentium D aren't fast by todays standards but compared to a P4 still more then 100% improvement.

Quote:
[Dowload Everest here to get full board info

The latest of the Dell BIOS updates may solve the issue. Double check my link to ensure that this is the correct page for your particular Dimension 5150. You get the idea at least.

Backup your BIOS before making any changes. Ensure that you have the correct BIOS flash utility and files, THIS IS CRITICAL, incorrectly flashing your BIOS will kill the machine.

Is your board model a HJ054? Apparently this one does support P-D processors. All others apparently do not. It's heresay evidence anyway.

Even if you could find a BIOS hack for this and get the unit running, there is no telling how long it would run for. Differences in the board operating requirements and mismatched BIOS data could kill the unit. It's an interesting project, but not one to undertake on a machine that you actually need ;-)/quote]

hey thanks this is actually really useful, when i was trying to find information about this it talked about A04 processors and B04 processors, telling how they only different is the maximum TDP. Since i'm assuming that pentium D is 115watts then it wouldn't work at least not for long, but it at least helps me find possible upgrades. if i ever want to
m
l
a c 141 à CPUs
May 30, 2010 8:53:18 PM

Offical support is for 5 and 6 series of the P4 only thou I know the PD925 runs on it but you have to press f1 to get past the incompatible processor message.
m
l
May 31, 2010 9:59:50 PM

I flashed the bios and on the description it. Claims that it supports newer pocssos of course they didn't specify but it's a step towards a possible upgrade path if it's ever needed
m
l
November 8, 2011 12:25:20 AM

Not sure where you landed on this topic a while back, but I just tried dropping a Pentium D 940 into my dimension 5150, which came from Dell with the HJ045 mobo and a Pentium D 820 stock. I got an amber light so I'm thinking it just isn't compatible. I have the A07 bios as well.
m
l
!