Core i3 and Audio

technikal

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Sorry for the crosspost - I probably should have posted here instead of the motherboard forum...

I've built a HTPC system using a Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H and core i3 processor running Win 7 x64. My audio and video connection is via HDMI.

What benefit do I get from installing the Realtek Audio drivers off the Gigabyte site. I'm getting sound via HDMI with the default drivers in Win 7. Will the Realtek driver override that and provide different/improved capabilities over HDMI, or is it only applicable to non-HDMI based outputs?

Sorry - I'm confused by the 'onboard' nature of the i3 chip. Is the sound over HDMI coming from Intel or Realtek?

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
If you are using the IGD in the Core i3 it supplies its own Audio driver. If you want to updated that you will need to update the Graphics driver.

If you want to play audio out the back panel audio stack then you can use the Realtek Audio driver or stay with the default Windows driver.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010

The Sound over HDMI comes from Realtek, since that is what the audio in the board is based on. I don't think think there'll be any tangible benefits over updating the Realtek driver, but there's no harm in trying.