Sign in with
Your question

I5-3570k OC temperature too high on Hyper 212 Evo?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Temperature
  • Intel i5
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
January 28, 2013 11:43:37 PM

I followed the first post in this thread (http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclockin...) as best I could but I think my temps are a bit high.
Should I lower the OC? Get more case fans? I have been reading that people with the same setup get 70* all day under load at 4.00ghz

I have:
i5-3570k: OC to 3.8ghz
Offset Voltage: +0.005v ; Additional Turbo Voltage: +0.004v
The CPU LLC is still set on "Auto". I only have options 0%, 50% and 100%. Which should I set it to?
CM Hyper 212 Evo - "Automatic" mode set at 55*C level 8
ASRock z77 Pro4
Corsair Carbide 200r with 2 Case Fans at level 8.
I ran prime95 on blend for 2 hours and got 79*C for 3.8ghz OC
I ran prime95 on blend for 2 hours and got 67*C for stock clocks.

Attached screen shot.
Thanks for the help!

OC to 3.8ghz

Stock Clocks

More about : 3570k temperature high hyper 212 evo

a c 96 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2013 1:06:14 AM

try to lower the cpu voltage to around 1.0 volts if not reduce your multilpier to lower the heat and temp .
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2013 1:47:12 AM

You seem a little bit high... but not super hot.

When reading temperatures keep a few things in mind:
1) Voltages raises temperature dramatically, and you should not need to raise voltage much at all until you get past the 4.2GHz range. Even at stock clocks you are going to run hot under load at 1.2V. Only raise voltage if you are having stability issues, and raise it by the smallest amount possible.

2) Temperatures are highly dependant on your ambiant temperature. If you live in a home that stays toasty warm in winter you may see slightly higher temps compared to others. What matters is your temp - room temp which gives you your delta temperature. Your delta determines if your temperature is too high or too low for a specific clock.
For example, my computer OCd at 4.2GHz only hits ~65*c which seems low... but the computer lives in the basement where the ambient temperature is ~18*c, making my delta 47*c, which is actually right about normal for my CPU with an EVO that has 2 fans on it.

3) Ivy Bridge CPUs do not have consistent temperatures across the board because of the type of thermal package they have. They basically used an inferior thermal paste between the die and the housing that you see, and so some of them run OK, while others run a bit warm, and yet others have 1-2 warm cores. So I guess, just keep in mind that your thermal performance may vary a bit, and there is no real set 'normal' for an Ivy Bridge CPU like there are with others.

4) So long as you are at or under 90*c then you are not in any real danger of damaging anything from a thermal perspective. Yes, 90*c is freakin hot, but you are not about to burn anything up. And also keep in mind that normal workloads will not get your CPU as hot as a benchmark. Benchmarks are designed to peg your CPU as hard as possible, and give it a worst case scenario, not typical usage.

5) thermal paste is easy to remove and reapply. If you are not getting the temps you are expecting then simply redo your paste and try again. Keep a few things in mind when applying paste:
-Paste is the enemy... just less of an enemy than air gaps. Use as little as possible to get barely enough coverage to not let air in. Too little paste and air gaps will get you hot spots, too much paste will give you poor heatsink performance. If your CPU temps are hot, but the heat sink is still relatively cool, then you have too much paste. A little dab will do ya!
-Use the line or pea method. Do not bother spreading the paste before applying the heat sink, the heat sink is under enough pressure that it will spread the paste for you, and more evenly than you ever could. Just be sure to tighten the screws a little bit at a time using a star pattern so that you do not end up with a bunch of paste all on one side.
-Airflow is important! Not really a paste issue, but mind the direction of the airflow in your case, and have multiple fans all going in the same direction. In my case I have 1 120mm front fan... but then I have 1 140mm fan on the bottom, and 2 140mm fans on the top. So it makes much more sense for me to have my CPU cooler blowing up towards the top of the case rather than out the back. Other people have a nice big fan in the back, so it makes more sense to blow out the back rather than the top. It all depends on your setup, but just go with the flow and make sure you do not have fans fighting each other.

Hope something in that helped!
m
l
Related resources
January 29, 2013 2:45:32 AM

scout_03 said:
try to lower the cpu voltage to around 1.0 volts if not reduce your multilpier to lower the heat and temp .

Even my stock voltage caps at 1.120v (second picture). I hear its bad to go into my bios and force the voltage below stock volts. Possible to confirm?

CaedenV said:
You seem a little bit high... but not super hot.

Hope something in that helped!

Thanks for the reply.
The thermostat is set at 22*C, that would make my delta around 50-55*C.
I am also thinking it is my case cooling.
I just bought the chip/mobo, and since I know they all vary, I was wondering if I should bother exchanging the chip and mobo for another one.

Another thing is that even under STOCK voltage with only my multiplier changed to get to 3.8ghz, my core volts has capped at 1.224v, even with it being in "Automatic" mode, controled by the stock bios, mobo, etc.

See below:

Thoughts?

Thanks again for all the help so far!

Hope to solve this since I have 12 days left on my return/exchange policy :lol:  !
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2013 2:59:42 AM

"Automatic" mode is just a preset my the mobo manufacturer where they are pretty sure it will not cause damage, but definately high enough where even a bad chip would run OK. You can step it down a little bit if you needed to. 1.1V is normal, but 1.3V is kinda high, so that should give you a bit of a feel for just how sensitive the voltage can be on these new chips. Even small incriments can make a bit of a difference.

You suspect your case cooling could be an issue. What is your situation? do you have a consistent flow moving from the front & bottom to the back & top? How many fans, and what size and approx speed are they running at? Do you have a proper exhaust for your GPU as well as the CPU?
Where is the computer placed? near a window where sun gets on it? under a desk where it cannot breathe? on carpet or a solid surface?

Most places will not exchange parts just because they do not OC well (thank God for Fry's and their don't ask, don't tell policy). A part typically needs to be broken to take it back. Also, while a K series CPU is made to OC, actuially overclocking the CPU voids the warranty on it. Kinda dumb, but true.

What OC are you looking to get to? have you tried your ideal OC to see if your temps are under 90*c?

I would still try and redo your thermal paste again, as it is easy to do, and may make a world of difference.
m
l
January 29, 2013 1:01:46 PM

CaedenV said:
"Automatic" mode is just a preset my the mobo manufacturer where they are pretty sure it will not cause damage, but definately high enough where even a bad chip would run OK. You can step it down a little bit if you needed to. 1.1V is normal, but 1.3V is kinda high, so that should give you a bit of a feel for just how sensitive the voltage can be on these new chips. Even small incriments can make a bit of a difference.

You suspect your case cooling could be an issue. What is your situation? do you have a consistent flow moving from the front & bottom to the back & top? How many fans, and what size and approx speed are they running at? Do you have a proper exhaust for your GPU as well as the CPU?
Where is the computer placed? near a window where sun gets on it? under a desk where it cannot breathe? on carpet or a solid surface?

Most places will not exchange parts just because they do not OC well (thank God for Fry's and their don't ask, don't tell policy). A part typically needs to be broken to take it back. Also, while a K series CPU is made to OC, actuially overclocking the CPU voids the warranty on it. Kinda dumb, but true.

What OC are you looking to get to? have you tried your ideal OC to see if your temps are under 90*c?

I would still try and redo your thermal paste again, as it is easy to do, and may make a world of difference.

Thank you for shedding some light on the voltage. I had not realized it was MOBO controlled and thought it was internal to the CPU when set on "Automatic". So with the voltage, should I just manually set it and set it as (-0.005v)?

As for my case, I have a Corsair Carbide 200r with two stock case fans. One in the front for pulling air in and one in the rear for pushing air out, both 120mm fans running at "level 8 (out of 9)" It is under a desk on a solid surface, so that may be hindering the air flow.

I bought all parts at MicroCenter for the sole purpose of exchanging if I feel the need. They generally have a dont ask/dont tell policy with 15 days for CPU/mobo and 30 days for all other parts.

I ideally want 4.0ghz with temps around 70*C with minimal volts.

I think I did the thermal paste fine, but may redo it if necessary. Is there a preferred method to remove it and reapply? I just used the thermal paste that came with the CM 212 Evo fan.

Thanks again!
m
l
a c 96 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2013 6:02:18 PM

on auto with the 36 x multiplier is you aks more from your cpu it will go over 1.2 that why i was telling to lower it so even on full overclock it wont the specs CaedenV give you the details how to set it, and for cleanig paste you could use alcool and a coffee filter and apply only a pea spot when you repaste and thigh the cooler in cross settting for the screw ,for your case it could support up to 8 fans since you got one in front and the other on the back you could had 1 in front as intake 2on the side panel aslo intake and 2 on top as outake .
m
l
January 29, 2013 8:04:12 PM

scout_03 said:
on auto with the 36 x multiplier is you aks more from your cpu it will go over 1.2 that why i was telling to lower it so even on full overclock it wont the specs CaedenV give you the details how to set it, and for cleanig paste you could use alcool and a coffee filter and apply only a pea spot when you repaste and thigh the cooler in cross settting for the screw ,for your case it could support up to 8 fans since you got one in front and the other on the back you could had 1 in front as intake 2on the side panel aslo intake and 2 on top as outake .

I'm sorry, I am really having trouble understanding your post :lol: 
m
l
a c 96 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2013 8:25:10 PM

the more you raise the multiplier more it will give voltage to cpu to run ,for the paste use alcool and a coffee filter to clean ,for the cooler screw is one at he bottom the other opposite side at top do not fully tight them do the same with the other then tight them ,for your case it could be using 8 fans total http://www.corsair.com/pc-cases/carbide-series-pc-case/...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 30, 2013 2:14:08 PM

Yeah 3.8Ghz is hardly an overclock at all. Your CPU is running extremely hot for that. My CPU runs at around 60C when only at 3.8Ghz. I thought 3.8Ghz was like stock on turbo boost. Correct me if I'm wrong. You should be able to safeltly get it to 4.0Ghz with temps of 65C. If you can't get it like that then something is wrong. Either you applied the paste wrong or you have way too much voltage for that OC. At 4.0Ghz you shouldn't need but maybe 1.20Vcore. And with that it should run at 65C.
m
l
February 1, 2013 1:11:44 AM

Yeah, that's pretty hot. Running at 4.5 at roughly 66c at full load with same cpu cooler in a Corsair 600t w/ stock fans....

@ ~1.26V with my Gigabyte Z77x, I just have been using auto voltage... haven't had time to dial in yet. My ambient temp is 68F though. hmmm ~20C if that helps.

m
l
February 1, 2013 3:27:53 AM

I think I have solved the issue.
The stock mobo had terribly overvolted in "auto" mode.
I had to manually set the offset to -.120v and kept my clocks at 40x.
My temps hovered around 70*C as well after a 4 hour P95 stress test.
m
l
March 25, 2013 5:30:26 AM

Ehh, I am running 4.0ghz on a Hyper 212 and my temps never go beyond 70c on prime95. I'd say your temps are high. Perhaps you need to remount your cooler with better thermal paste or make sure your getting good airflow in your case. Good luck!
m
l
a c 96 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 25, 2013 6:40:54 PM

see the first answer i send you to reduce voltage around 1.volt you are now at 1.088 volts so with a repaste with a good one suggested by Stickem .
m
l
!