Sign in with
Your question

Gaming AMD processor

Last response: in CPUs
May 30, 2010 5:37:58 AM

AMD Athlon II X4 620 or the AMD Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition?

More about : gaming amd processor

a b à CPUs
May 30, 2010 5:53:52 AM

Athlon II without a doubt.

the old phenoms are bad performers. they run hot and overclock badly.
the athlon II is newer architecture and superior in just about every way.
m
l
May 30, 2010 5:54:00 AM

i'd go for the athlon II
m
l
Related resources
May 30, 2010 6:07:29 AM

Athlon II x4 620.
However an Athlon II x3 440 games very well, better than the x4 620 due to the higher clock speed.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2010 6:26:24 AM

duk3 said:
Athlon II x4 620.
However an Athlon II x3 440 games very well, better than the x4 620 due to the higher clock speed.

that depends on the game. if it makes heavy use of 4 cores like GTA4 or BC2, then the 620 would be a better chip. unfortunately its not so easy to make that call without knowing what games will be played the most.

but given that most games being released now make use of 4 cores, id get the 620 anyway.
m
l
May 30, 2010 6:31:48 AM

GTA:IV, CoD:MW2, Source Games(On SUPER High), Microsoft Flight Simulator X, BF:BC2,
and whatever game I happen to pirate (I was thinking of Crysis...)
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2010 6:35:20 AM

Well i would like to start by pointing out that we do not support game piracy, and that you should support the industry by paying for your games. (and yes, i truly believe that)

GTA, BC2 and crysis all run much better on quads. source not so much, since they are not very demanding. i don't know about Flight simulator though.

any new games will most likely support quads too, so based on that i would say the 620 would be the best choice.
m
l
May 30, 2010 6:45:13 AM

Hey, the games I DO support I buy. I BOUGHT MW2 and CS:S/Source Games. Mostly because I want a genuine experience online. H/e for GTA Im downloading and BC2 im going to buy.
Awesome Campaign, ehh multiplayer - Pirate
Any Campaign, Awesome Multi = Buy buy buy!
A Game that no one can crack- Buy.

Thanks all, I just ordered the Athlon II X4 620 2.6Ghz
m
l
May 30, 2010 6:51:16 AM

Also, all I wwant is a good 25-40 FPS (Maybe 15-20 on GTA IV)
on this combined with a ATI Radeon HD 4200 + ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
and 3GB RAM.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2010 7:02:38 AM

it sounds like you only pay for games when you have no other choice, but thats not the purpose of this thread so theres no need to discuss that here.

with that processor and a 5770 you should get pretty good framerates. you cannot use the integrated GPU simultaneously with the 5770, but the 5770 on its own should have no troubles. only BC2 may suffer some slowdown at max settings.
m
l
May 30, 2010 7:44:48 PM

Well it would be alot different if I wasn't so poor...
The only reason I can get this stuff is because its my 17th birthday, and the entire family(consisting of about 7 people left alive) had to chip in to get me this, and I had to get a roommate to help cover the bills the last few months. Bottom line, If I had the money I wouldn't think twice about buying it legally. By looking at your room and PC Specs it seems your lucky enough to not have that problem....
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 31, 2010 2:06:28 AM

Nitr0gen said:
Well it would be alot different if I wasn't so poor...
The only reason I can get this stuff is because its my 17th birthday, and the entire family(consisting of about 7 people left alive) had to chip in to get me this, and I had to get a roommate to help cover the bills the last few months. Bottom line, If I had the money I wouldn't think twice about buying it legally. By looking at your room and PC Specs it seems your lucky enough to not have that problem....

It sounds tough, and im not trying to have a go. i Just get annoyed when people openly talk about pirating games when those of us who purchase legit have to put up with invasive DRM and constant monitoring. I actually have a the same problem, im currently working part-time, so i rarely get to buy the games i want (which means i have missed out on aloty of good titles recently) and buying parts for my system involves weeks or months of saving. I have downloaded games in the past, as do i sometimes leach ISO's at LANs. but i have never done so instead of purchaisng a game (only for a game i never intended to buy).

:lol:  again though, not the place for it, more than anything i just wanted to point out its against forum rules and should not be promoted.

on topic: with the athlon II and that GPU you should have no issues. some games may require slightly lowered settings (your GPU is good, but not high end. and some games are very demanding). overall its a good system though.
m
l
!