Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Nvidia GT240 Screen Freezing Issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 6, 2010 1:21:40 PM

I installed a new GT240 DDR5 card in my new HP p6320y and it works great most of the time except when the screen freezes up while on the internet and I have to reboot. It is starting to frustrating though. I am not a gamer but do use photo and video editing software. I changed the bios to read the PCI-E slot first instead on the onboard Nvidia 9100 onboard graphics. I installed the new driver 196.21 from nvidia first thing and I didnt load the earlier driver on the CD it cme with.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreviated. Thank you

My PC Info;
AMD II X4 Quad 820
8GB DDR3 RAM
1T HD
OS- Windows 7 - 64bit
a b Î Nvidia
March 6, 2010 3:56:34 PM

It freeze only when u are opening browser?
Did u try to playing video or games, just to test it?
Score
March 6, 2010 6:30:57 PM

wa1 said:
It freeze only when u are opening browser?
Did u try to playing video or games, just to test it?

Thanks for replying! No I haven't tried any games. After I go to the internet go to some various sites and open some links it just cursor freezes. I can still see everything on the screen picture I just cannot move the cursor.

Thanks for the help wa1.
Score
Related resources
March 6, 2010 6:36:31 PM

I just tried a video and it plays fine. Do you think it could be my mouse or keyboard driver? I have a MS wireless 5000 mouse & keyboard.

Thx
Score
a b Î Nvidia
March 7, 2010 1:30:40 AM

Then try with general PS/2 or USB mouse/keyboard, see if that make any changes... :) 
Score
March 7, 2010 2:43:48 AM

im having same issue with same video card,
here are my system spects

intel core i5 750
gigabyte h55m-ud2h
GEForce gt 240 1gb ddr3
4gb corasair xms3 ddr3 ram
Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit

and i currently have a vga only monitor which the video card has a vga out dvi, and hdmi...

ok i bought this machine yesterday and put it all together. I updated the bios and went to bed after
i pretty much finished the job i was tired.

I woke up today and started installing some of my favorite prorgrams
Yahelite chat client, MIRC chat, microsoft visual studio

the screen kept freezing on me, i would not get a blue screen at all the screen would just lock up and i could do nothing except hit the reset button!
i thought maybe the bios was the issue so i reverted to the version the the mobo shipped with, still same issue.
so eventually i reverted back to the newest bios version.

after trying to track the problem down i thought it might be firefox, casue when opening the window it would freeze up.
then i was running MIRC and it froze while i was running that so i decided to uninstall that, still kept freezing up.

i went in the bios to assure all the settings were setup ok, saw that there wasnt much for me to change so all i did was change the default video adapter to PEG 1 which is defined as the pci express 16 video card slot that the gt 240 is plugged into.

none of this worked, so i tried disabling the Aero theme and used the standarrd windows 7, the pc seemed to run flawlessly
but i didnt build this badass rig to run it with minimal effects for the windows display manager. so again i re enabled the aero theme. I noticed there was a feature in the bios which affects ram performance, the default is turbo, there are 2 other settings
standard and super turbo or some bs.... in the setting it says that if you oc the processor sometimes you'll have to set the ram to standard for stability, so in an effort to cure my problem i decided to try this even though the cpu isnt overclocked at all.!
it seemd to run fine for a couple few hours then, when i was excited and thought i beat the problem BAM i open my browser and before it even gets to full screen it freezes and i cant do jack squat!
so that wasnt the problem, so i went back in the bios and clicked "load optimized defaults" which didnt seem to chane much of anything when i looked back over the3 settings, so i rebooted then decided to run it for a while and see what happen. I saw there was some updates for windows 7 i could install so i selected them and insalled them. the pc seemed to run well for a while and then all of a sudden the screen went black and i could do nothing at all, i had to reset the pc again!

so im still kindof clueless and have no idea what my problem is, it hasnt blule screened at all the screen has gone black twice, but most the time the screen freezes up, the taskbar, mouse, browser, (not always in that order) but eventually it freezes to where i cant do a damn thing , and am forced to reset to the pc.

your wireless mouse/keyboard theory has me interested i may try that tomorrow, for i had bought a new wireless mouse/keyboard combo the same day as the parts and has been the only set ive used on the new pc. It isnt the same make
as yours its called "gearhead".

Im doubting that this is the problem, i keep leaning toward it being the video cards fault is my best guess. But what the hell i got a wired keyboard and mouse i can try i guess tomorrow(i hope) cause theres only one ps2 port not sure if i have a ps2 to usb adapter or not, i think so but not sure.

Anyways!!!
i think ive typed enough and im going to bed, its getting late and am fed up with working on this pc, ever since my last black screen issue it hasnt crashed once(over an hour or 2) so who knows what the hell is going onbut its time for me to get some sleep ive been at this all day. Hopefully my post can help us, and its unfortunate to see some one has the same problem im having but maybe we can help eachother in the long run who knows.

Thanks alot, this is my first post on Toms, although ive been an avid toms hardware reader for ages.

goodnight :) 
Score
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 20, 2010 4:57:03 PM

Cool, Do you know where i could find the 64 bit version?
Score
March 23, 2010 11:20:43 AM

I too have the same problem. I pulled the gt240 out and will try again later.
The newest 64 bit driver is:
197.13_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english.exe

Also I have posted the question in the HP forums.
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Monitors-and-video/Howto-A...

Lets see if I get an answer.

hobo
Score
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 24, 2010 4:55:12 AM

Same problem here,

i3 + GT240 + Win7 64bit

nothing happend during pc boot.
I tried to listen mp3 run Media player and!
everything stopped.

So I pulled off gt240 card and and using onboard vga.
***, everything is fine.

when dose Nvidia give us a solution?
I visited the link from above, But is for 32bit.

Damn, makes me crazy.
Score
March 27, 2010 12:13:41 PM

Well I reinstalled the card and all is well with the latest driver from Nividia. Must have been the old driver that caused my problems.
Score
April 9, 2010 4:08:52 PM

You've basically just described the experience I had last night... and I ended up getting just a few hours of sleep as a result.
It's nice to see I'm not the only one. I've got Win7 64bit, evga gt240 512 ddr3, 4GB gskill memory, AMD phenom.... everything I read seem to be pointing to a bad Nvidia driver... Have you resolved your problem

m0j0j0j0 said:
im having same issue with same video card,
here are my system spects

intel core i5 750
gigabyte h55m-ud2h
GEForce gt 240 1gb ddr3
4gb corasair xms3 ddr3 ram
Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit

and i currently have a vga only monitor which the video card has a vga out dvi, and hdmi...

ok i bought this machine yesterday and put it all together. I updated the bios and went to bed after
i pretty much finished the job i was tired.

I woke up today and started installing some of my favorite prorgrams
Yahelite chat client, MIRC chat, microsoft visual studio

the screen kept freezing on me, i would not get a blue screen at all the screen would just lock up and i could do nothing except hit the reset button!
i thought maybe the bios was the issue so i reverted to the version the the mobo shipped with, still same issue.
so eventually i reverted back to the newest bios version.

after trying to track the problem down i thought it might be firefox, casue when opening the window it would freeze up.
then i was running MIRC and it froze while i was running that so i decided to uninstall that, still kept freezing up.

i went in the bios to assure all the settings were setup ok, saw that there wasnt much for me to change so all i did was change the default video adapter to PEG 1 which is defined as the pci express 16 video card slot that the gt 240 is plugged into.

none of this worked, so i tried disabling the Aero theme and used the standarrd windows 7, the pc seemed to run flawlessly
but i didnt build this badass rig to run it with minimal effects for the windows display manager. so again i re enabled the aero theme. I noticed there was a feature in the bios which affects ram performance, the default is turbo, there are 2 other settings
standard and super turbo or some bs.... in the setting it says that if you oc the processor sometimes you'll have to set the ram to standard for stability, so in an effort to cure my problem i decided to try this even though the cpu isnt overclocked at all.!
it seemd to run fine for a couple few hours then, when i was excited and thought i beat the problem BAM i open my browser and before it even gets to full screen it freezes and i cant do jack squat!
so that wasnt the problem, so i went back in the bios and clicked "load optimized defaults" which didnt seem to chane much of anything when i looked back over the3 settings, so i rebooted then decided to run it for a while and see what happen. I saw there was some updates for windows 7 i could install so i selected them and insalled them. the pc seemed to run well for a while and then all of a sudden the screen went black and i could do nothing at all, i had to reset the pc again!

so im still kindof clueless and have no idea what my problem is, it hasnt blule screened at all the screen has gone black twice, but most the time the screen freezes up, the taskbar, mouse, browser, (not always in that order) but eventually it freezes to where i cant do a damn thing , and am forced to reset to the pc.

your wireless mouse/keyboard theory has me interested i may try that tomorrow, for i had bought a new wireless mouse/keyboard combo the same day as the parts and has been the only set ive used on the new pc. It isnt the same make
as yours its called "gearhead".

Im doubting that this is the problem, i keep leaning toward it being the video cards fault is my best guess. But what the hell i got a wired keyboard and mouse i can try i guess tomorrow(i hope) cause theres only one ps2 port not sure if i have a ps2 to usb adapter or not, i think so but not sure.

Anyways!!!
i think ive typed enough and im going to bed, its getting late and am fed up with working on this pc, ever since my last black screen issue it hasnt crashed once(over an hour or 2) so who knows what the hell is going onbut its time for me to get some sleep ive been at this all day. Hopefully my post can help us, and its unfortunate to see some one has the same problem im having but maybe we can help eachother in the long run who knows.

Thanks alot, this is my first post on Toms, although ive been an avid toms hardware reader for ages.

goodnight :) 

Score
Anonymous
a b α HP
June 20, 2010 11:51:00 PM

Hi,
I am having the exact problem! Everytime it crashes when i am doing some browsing on the web! And this is happening after i have install my new GT240! I can play for 6 hours and it does not crash or anything! I have installed the latest driver from nVidia! But still the same problem!

Help me out please! :sweat: 

Thank you,
Regards,
Naveesh
Doolhur
Score
July 3, 2010 5:25:54 AM

Same problem here -

For sure a GPU problem. -- It seems to be more stable if I force an underclock but it still likes to make all the artifacts and freezes that we all talk about.

I'm tired of other forums of people blaming it on everything but the gpu. We all know its a gpu problem and I've swapped out the gt 240 1gb gddr3 (sorry -- wrote it out for google keyword purposes lol) for an 8800gt and that runs just fine (other than the fact that that particular card runs excessively hot for no good reason.)

Anyway, I'm with you all on this one. Its not a psu problem -- I'm almost ready to point the blame at the lack of an aux power input to the card.

Its inherently unstable. :( 

I'll be here waiting for someone else to join the forum and finally answer :) 

ALSO -- it has crashed once and recovered (woah..) !! When it finally recovered, it had said that there was a video driver failure. and just so everyone knows, I'm running the 257.21 nvidia drivers. These drivers are current as of 2010.06.15 so no one can say that i'm running old drivers or something.
Score
July 26, 2010 10:32:00 PM

Exactly same problem with EVGA GT240 DDR3 1Gb.!
Tried different driver versions, including 258.69. Tried to underclock, overclock, nothing works. The screen freezes on Youtube or if I pause a video in mediaplayer or sometimes when just browsing Internet. Sometimes it recovers but video driver no longer works properly - artefacts, symbol mess on screen etc. No solution found yet.
Score
August 1, 2010 7:56:18 PM

I solved this problem by exchanging this card to another same one. Definitely hardware issue. Don't spend much time trying different driver's versions.
Score
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 27, 2010 3:01:00 AM

I'm experiencing the same problems - freezing, especially on Youtube and other flash videos, with artifacts on the screen and little to no mouse or keyboard response. I'd like to ask the other people who are experiencing this problem a question. Are you all running Aero, or do you have it disabled? One poster mentioned that disabling Aero seemed to solve the problem, but mentioned that he soon turned it back on, and didn't really go into much more detail.

So are you running Aero, or have you tried disabling it?

I'm going to try disabling Aero and see how well it runs. It's pretty, but arguably useless.
Score
September 6, 2010 2:44:31 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. it is working fine.
Score
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 12, 2010 2:28:13 PM

i got the same problem with gt-240 ddr3 1gb... screen get freezes n etc.. initially i got a fx-9600gt 512 video card its workd well with xp when i put win 7 it gt this problem... when i put xp back problem still exists then i changed it to this new one becoz i thougt it was a prblm in da card bt no luck... always coming a notice saying nvide driver fail...any 1 gt a solution for this???
Score
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 21, 2010 10:48:47 PM

ISSUES WITH GT 240 Graphics Card

Hello Fellas,

Well hopefully this will help you out like it did for me.
1 -Uninstall your current or old drivers.
If you are not sure how to do this, Panel > System > Device Manager, open up the Display adapters, right-click on the Nvidia GT 240 driver and click uninstall.

Warning! do NOT restart the computer if prompted to do so.
2- follow this link : http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-260.89... - download GeForce/ION Driver Release 260 (Latest Version) ok? Be sure to select the 32 as this applies only to 64 bit systems. this can be done via the same link before you download the drive

3 - Install the driver then let the system reboot your computer and this should be ok.

Alternative driver is the GeForce/ION Driver Release 191 on this link but its older : http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_191.07...
Again do not forget to select 64 or 32 bit accordingly.
I apologise for sounding so bossy but I hate it when I read jargon I can not make sense of.

Goodluck guys and I'll check again to see if this solved your problems

Almsey
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 21, 2010 10:57:05 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!