Sign in with
Your question

Got new system up and running but Freezes ONLY on internet!

Last response: in Systems
March 21, 2010 5:19:41 AM

Hey folks, I waited 4.5 years for this and I finally got my new system built and running. Below are the specs:

Asus P7P55D
Intel i7-860 Quad core
Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler
4GB PC3-1600 Corsair memory
Diamond HD 5870 Video
Corsair 750W power
DVD-RW DL Disc Drive
2x-WD Caviar Black 1TB (Raid 0)
Windows 7 64-bit
**All updated drivers to include: chipset (Intel Matrix), onboard sound, onboard NIC, Video
**Latest Bios
**Windows Update set to auto
**Running Microsoft Security Essentials Anti-Virus/Malware, also running ZoneAlarm firewall.

Installation went well as did the installation of various games:

Dirt 2
Bioshock 2
Farcry 2
Mass Effect 2
Prototype
Unreal Tournament 3
World in Conflict
Assassains Creed

Also installed (for benchmarking, stress testing):

3dmark Vantage
PCmark Vantage
Prime 95
Lavalys
Unigine

Now, I have NOT overclocked my system yet. I plan on it, once I have a stable system. So far I have run 3x 12+ hours of Prime 95 to stress the CPU and Memory. All 3x, there were no issues. Heat got to a manageable 59 degrees max. I have also logged at least a few hours on each of the games listed above and had NO problems whatsoever.

However, my system FROZE about 20 times so far and ONLY done so when on the internet. Most of the time, seconds after web browser starts! The sites most visited: Cnn, voodooextreme.com, hardocp.com, gsmarena.com, gmail.com.

Frustrating that my system passes benchmarks and burn-ins no problem but in this past week freezes hard on the internet.

What I've done so far to track down the problem:

1. Checked windows logs and other than notices of improper shutdowns....nothing out of the ordinary.
2. Ran MS Security Essentials full virus scan. Clean.
3. Ran Spybot Search and Destroy Anti-Malware scan. Clean.
4. Ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware full scan. Clean.

5. Disabled onboard Realtek 10/100/1000 NIC and Installed trusty Linksys NIC and loaded latest drivers.
6. Did yet another overnight (14 hours) Prime 95 CPU/Memory burn in. Passed. No problems.
7. Instead of using my favorite Google Chrome browser, I tried on IE.

Did all of the above but internet still RANDOMLY freezes my whole PC.

I am out of ideas, folks. Again....and this is the frustrating part...my system will run the burn-in software and high end games with ease but just starting the internet can freeze it up and I have to do a cold boot. Frustrating.

Any suggestions, ideas? Anything?

I thank you in advance!

March 21, 2010 8:11:03 AM

try another browser maybe :p ?
March 21, 2010 9:03:29 AM

you may want to scan for any virus's or as a last result re install windows. if not it may be you internet connection but try the previous suggestions first. i think it is most likely a virus as i have had a similar problem.
Related resources
March 21, 2010 9:20:59 AM

Done my share of virus/trojan/malware scans and always come up clean. Chrome and IE both are affected and hardware is stable otherwise so naturally I think the issue is software based. For now, I removed Microsoft Security Essentials and replaced it with AVG Free Edition. Let's see how that works. Will report back. Thanks
March 21, 2010 9:28:39 AM

Try NOD32 trial. Very good antivirus
March 21, 2010 11:06:56 AM

did you look at your router or modem. Check to see if internet is working on other computers.
March 21, 2010 1:31:36 PM

if you have a spare hard drive you should try installing windows on it.
April 4, 2010 10:09:01 AM

Alright folks. Tried and tested, I found the problem and you may not believe it! I uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials and replaced it with AVG free and haven't had A SINGLE ISSUE with the PC since (be it online or otherwise).

Needless to say, I won't be using MSE anymore! Thanks all for the suggestions!
!