Sign in with
Your question

Graphic Card Queuton it shstion

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 6, 2010 2:05:43 PM

Hi, I actually have 2 questions about my issue.

2 days ago my computer started to restart randomly, it said "No signal" on my monitor then is just restarted, so i figured it was the graphic card that was the reason for it.

I noticed that my fan on my graphic card was running rather slow and it was overheated, Iv'e cleaned so it got no dust, and all cables are put in to give the fan power, the computer usually runs for 1-2hours then it restarts.
Some additional info is that im using Geforce 8800GT (ASUS).

My question is, How can i make sure its the fan that's causing the trouble? And not that it perhaps gets too much/too little power? (The card worked for 3

years untill now), Some minor problems did occur some time ago (the screen randomly freezed while running etc games that stressed the card) but it didn't cause a reboot as it does now, it's making work impossible and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Let's say that it is an defect card and I need to replace it, any recomendations on alternatives? I'm not sure what kind of motherboard I have, but it should be any card that similiar to Geforce 8800GT ASUS, since it might reveal any other compabible cards.

I appreciate any help allot, thanks in advance.
March 6, 2010 2:13:02 PM

I can't seem to edit my post (title is spelled wrong) can any mod fix this? Thanks
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 2:14:02 PM

Hi Phorze,

Welcome to the forums,

Can you post system specs please especially the Power supply wattage/make and model and how old is it, the PSU that is ?

Is the card still getting hot ? and does the fan still run slow ?
You could try getting a new fan and installing it if this is still the case. there are plenty ofguides on how to do this on the net.

Another option could be the PSU is struggling to power the card, they loose power with age but the card will continue to try and drawthe power. If your PSU has lost enough power over the years than the card will be straining to pull the power it needs and this will in the end make the card die. This can be a gradual burning out of capacitors to a big poof and a dead screen. The latter isnt that common these days :)  just thought i should mention the worst case though, this can kill other hardware though so be carefull.

Mactronix
Related resources
March 6, 2010 2:37:33 PM

mactronix said:
Hi Phorze,

Welcome to the forums,

Can you post system specs please especially the Power supply wattage/make and model and how old is it, the PSU that is ?

Is the card still getting hot ? and does the fan still run slow ?
You could try getting a new fan and installing it if this is still the case. there are plenty ofguides on how to do this on the net.

Another option could be the PSU is struggling to power the card, they loose power with age but the card will continue to try and drawthe power. If your PSU has lost enough power over the years than the card will be straining to pull the power it needs and this will in the end make the card die. This can be a gradual burning out of capacitors to a big poof and a dead screen. The latter isnt that common these days :)  just thought i should mention the worst case though, this can kill other hardware though so be carefull.

Mactronix

Hey, thanks for the fast reply!

What specs do you need? I made an hardware log with Everest it's availible here: I hope it helps! About the PSU, It's about 3-4 years old and the specs are:

Antec (Earthwatts, Model EA-500) 500W Max

AC Input: 100-240V - 9A ; 50/60Hz

March 6, 2010 3:20:12 PM

did you install the latest nVidia drivers? they are killing graphics cards like yours.
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 3:25:51 PM

Ok well that's a very good PSU and i doubt its the problem so i would now be looking long and hard at the card.
Is it still over heating and is the fan still running slow ? If so i would suggest you get a new fan fitted to it.
As i said its easy enough and there are plenty of guides on line.
Of course you could take the opportunity to just upgrade the card anyway. I would suggest a 5770 for your monitor or a 4850/4770 as a minimum if you don't want need DX11 yet.
It would seem silly not to get a 5 series though.

You might want to consider taking down/deleting the link to the report as well. There are some quite sensitive details IP address etc which could in the wrong hands land you with all sorts of problems.
I don't for a minute suggest anyone on here would do such a thing but you cant be too careful.

Mactronix :) 
March 7, 2010 1:41:04 AM

nfail said:
did you install the latest nVidia drivers? they are killing graphics cards like yours.

Nope, Got the old ones still (4-6 months old perhaps)

mactronix said:
Ok well that's a very good PSU and i doubt its the problem so i would now be looking long and hard at the card.
Is it still over heating and is the fan still running slow ? If so i would suggest you get a new fan fitted to it.
As i said its easy enough and there are plenty of guides on line.
Of course you could take the opportunity to just upgrade the card anyway. I would suggest a 5770 for your monitor or a 4850/4770 as a minimum if you don't want need DX11 yet.
It would seem silly not to get a 5 series though.

You might want to consider taking down/deleting the link to the report as well. There are some quite sensitive details IP address etc which could in the wrong hands land you with all sorts of problems.
I don't for a minute suggest anyone on here would do such a thing but you cant be too careful.

Mactronix :) 

I'll probably go for an card upgrade :) , was it this card you ment by 5770? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If so, are you sure it would work okay with my motherboard? :) 
a c 130 U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 6:04:18 AM

Yes that's one of the better 5770's. Its a non reference design which will give you better cooling than standard.
Your board has a PCIE slot so it should work. It never hurts to check with the manufacturers web page before buying though ;) 

Mactronix
!