HP Pavilion N5425 Laptop CMOS Question

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 3, 2004 3:06:40 PM

I've seen the posts about needing to call HP - PLEASE read my
"problem" first and advise accordingly.

I know my BIOS password, and can get into BIOS just fine. For several
months I had enabled the boot password to stop the kids from using it
without our knowledge. Several weeks ago I noticed they were using
it, and they told me they weren't asked for the boot password.

After getting them off the laptop, I verified that the boot password
was no longer being prompted for. I then booted up into BIOS (with
the password) just fine. However, even though it shows the boot and
bios passwords enabled, they're "grayed out". I can't select them,
nor other certain items. I get an error telling me that I can't do
those functions in "user" mode and I need administrative privileges.

I have an extended warranty on this though a "Big Box" store and took
it there. Even though they accepted the unit for repair (I asked to
have the CMOS reset to defaults, and the Cust Svc Rep got into the
bios just fine with the password), it came back after a couple of
weeks with nothing done but a notice to call HP to get the password
reset.

I know my password and getting it reset isn't the issue. Not being
able to do certain things in BIOS anymore with it is the problem,
especially since the boot-password is really needed to control the
kids usage of it.

What could have happened and how can it be corrected?

a b D Laptop
September 3, 2004 3:06:41 PM