4gb (2x2) not working together....

jaydoubledub

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
I have a total of 6gb of Patriot memory (2gb-1x2 +4gb-2x2). I have been having glitches in games and already did many HDD test to r/o HDD's. When I'm using the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool, I seem to have found out that the PDC34G1333ELK memory modules don't want to work properly together. I tested each stick by itself, in each slot, and with and without each of the 1gb sticks. Whenever and wherever (slot-wise) I test the PAIR of 2gb sticks (that came as a 4gb kit together) there is always a "hardware problems were detected...." around 24-30% on the first pass.

Both 2gb sticks will pass the test with one or both of the 1gb sticks. However, in ANY combination that they are together, there is a 'hardware problem'. Is it possible that they don't simply work together? If so, then (out of curiosity) why is that? I am still within my time period to return them to Fry's. I will most likely do it tomorrow. btw the 2gb (1x2) are model PDC32G1333ELK.

And lastly, is there any setting I can do on my mobo that may fix the error? My mobo is an MSI 890GXM-G65, if it helps. I am running Windows Vista Pro. Stock video (for now) with a Happague 1600 TV tuner. my PSU is a CoolerMaster 500w (non-modular). I have one internal DVDRW optical and one 500gb Maxator HDD.

Any help would be awesome!!!!

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
I'm kinda vagued frm your explanation. seems like somewhat messed up.

so let me sum it up:
- You test 2 x 2GB : "hardware problems were detected...." around 24-30% on the first pass.
- You test one stick 2GB from 4GB kit, with 1GB from 2GB kit: in ANY combination that they are together, there is a 'hardware problem'.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

You haven't told about:
- test 2 x 1 GB sticks? Are both of them working properly?