Sign in with
Your question

Need help picking 4GB of DDR2 pc 6400 from this site....

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
November 22, 2010 2:57:49 AM

WHich would you choose? upgrading from 2GB to 4. Here is the site tell me which memory you would choose please ! I need to buy them tomorrow.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=24_311_3...

Right now I am running 2 GB Corsair XMS2 Matched SLI ready sticks. At the moment, the patriot viper II looks the coolest or maybe the Kingston because the heatsinks are blue (lol). I would guess lower timings the better so Im looking for 4-4-4-12 or better.

Thoughts? And thanks ! :pt1cable: 
a b } Memory
November 22, 2010 4:00:06 AM

Then go for the same make and timing of the new 2 sticks too. You'll end up with lesser problems.....
Better timings are not going to help since the load will be balanced between the higher and lower timing RAMs that you put in, it will only lead to more complications when setting memory timings and more BSODs....
It will be advisable to go with 2 more identical stick of the already existing RAMs that you have plugged in....
m
l
November 22, 2010 4:34:24 AM

I was planning to replace the 2 i already have with 2 sticks of 2gb each. Would it make sense to get 2 more 1gb sticks? For some reason i remember something about using specific slots to make it dual channel or something....
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
November 22, 2010 4:50:13 AM

Get two more 1GB same sticks. Don't bother with the timings, you won't see any difference.
m
l
November 22, 2010 5:07:04 AM

i didnt know I could do that.... I thought you always had to use the 1st and the 3rd slot and use 2 or something... think it was something i was told like real long time ago...
m
l
a b } Memory
November 22, 2010 5:10:56 AM

They will work in dual channel but don't bother with that either, it's no big deal.
m
l
November 22, 2010 5:13:27 AM

So any advantages for 2 2gb over 1x4 gb? Im running xp 32 bit so 4 is max anyways and I dont plan to go more. If I do it will be a whole new setup. right now im on a e6750 c2d, 680i sli board with 1 gtx470.
m
l
a b } Memory
November 22, 2010 5:34:13 AM

Well, with that OS you don't need anything more than 4Gb..... since you already have 2x1Gb RAMs and hopefully 2 Free RAM slots... just buy 2 more of the same make and size and put them in.... you'll not have any problems......
Don't mix and match RAMS...... it's not a very good idea.....
m
l
November 22, 2010 7:25:44 AM

That actually works out to be cheaper I can get 2 more of the same sticks as they're readily available however, I've been reading on oc'ing my e6750 to get the performance up and less of a bottleneck. Does having 4 sticks draw more power or impact overclocking?

If you guys don't mind check out the link and just tell me which ram you would choose if you were me :) 
m
l
!