Sign in with
Your question

5.1 audio problem while playing games

Last response: in Components
May 30, 2010 9:44:42 AM

hi, in every single game I play, surround sound doesn't work. The old ones, the new ones... none of them. These are games that have native settings for 5.1 in the options. No matter what I try, I get 2.1 out of my games. i am using intel 965ry onboard audio card. i am using its latest IDT HD sound drivers in windows 7. and everything is working fine. except some games like avatar, call of duty 6, assassin's creed2.. all the music movies and other stuff works fine. while playing these games get only voice and all the surround sound very very low. and in middle of game at some angle of the player it comes or even at menu also the sound will be there. but while playing the i am having the problem. and my woofers also wont work while playing these games.. only the front left right and the center will work and the voice will be coming only from the center.

any one help me plzzzz...!
May 30, 2010 9:52:59 AM

sry forgot to mention i am using philips dsp 7500 home theater speakers and connected them to my onboard 5.1 audio card by configuring the jacks to LR LL RR RL C SubW.
May 30, 2010 5:26:08 PM

Your problem isn't unique. It's pretty widespread.

A little background first-

When Windows Vista was being made Microsoft took the decision to ELIMINATE DirectSound support. What this did was eliminate multi-channel audio in games. Audio and video isn't affected. It only affects games. There is a solution though.

http://forums.creative.com/t5/Sound-Blaster/Creative-AL...;jsessionid=659771752AC00CBB5A7E8251FC8989B7
I don't know if ALchemy will work with your card, but it's worth a shot. AT the very least you might need to get an X-Fi sound card.

http://www.creative.com/soundblaster/alchemy/

Related resources
May 30, 2010 6:22:33 PM

saidutt2qt said:
sry forgot to mention i am using philips dsp 7500 home theater speakers and connected them to my onboard 5.1 audio card by configuring the jacks to LR LL RR RL C SubW.

If your speakers support spdf (optical in), & your on board audio has the reqd optical out (spdf), then it's worth a try to connect them.
May 31, 2010 4:28:18 PM

Using optical or digital coax in all likelihood won't work until the software issue is addressed.
!