abhi_jollyguy

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Hi Guys, Currently I have ASUS Maximus Formula (X38 Chipset) and Intel core 2 Duo E6850 (3.0 Ghz @ Stock) and 2 GB RAM Corsair XMS 2 DHX. So, I am thinking of changing my processor with Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 and 4 GB RAM Kingston HyperX 1066 mhz. So If I buy new proccy and RAM so I will save some money on motherboard.

Now I am confused that whether to change only my proccy and RAM or whole motherboard, Proccy and RAM with the core i7 Rig. As we all know that there is merely a 15% - 20% difference in performance between Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 and Intel core i7 920.

If I opt for core i7 Rig so I will have to change my motherboard too to take the X58 motherboard so for buy X58 motherboard, I will have to add near about $250 more from my pocket.

What to do now ?

All ur suggestions are welcome

Thank you

dickcruz

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
if you change it up to an i7 go for it, but dont get a core2 quad, get an AMD phenomII phenom instead because its like an i5 but only cheaper, it runs programs really smooth. Your performance differences could be off because an i7 is an 8-virtual core processor so it'd be significantly faster. C2Q's also don't have L3 cache and hence are significantly slower than i7s and their RAM latencies are in the 60's-70 ns range while i7s have them in the 25-30ns range, heck even AMD athlon II's have ram latencies in the 45-50ns range and they're like 100$ quad cores, my buddies got a Q9xx and i've got the athlon, the only difference is that his runs cooler but we get pretty much the same performance from all applications and games and he has a better graphics card than me so there's not much of a difference, go for a phenom, its worthed.

abhi, the first question you need to ask yourself is why do you want to upgrade. Is your computer incapable of doing something you want/need to do? Is there a new game out that you want to play?

If it's gaming (the usual thing that drives our upgrades :)), what about overclocking your present CPU and upgrading the video card? You can always shift the video card to a new computer next year and add a second one for SLI/XFire.

And unless you really need the high memory bandwidth of an i7-900 or the ability to run 2 PCIe-X16 video cards at full speed, why an i7-900?

I have some problems with what dick said, but he is right about his main point. If you are on a tight budget, AMD represents a better value.

abhi_jollyguy

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I want to buy only Intel machine coz intel machine has more performance in gaming and in everything though it's costly I know but I can bear the cost no problem not my main confusion is whether to buy intel core 2 quad q9650 with 4 gb DDR2 1066 mhz RAM or whole new system like core i7 920.

Please don't suggest me AMD.

dickcruz

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
that's not true buddy, unless you're going to buy an i7 you can't really say that intels are better for gaming I'm playing BFBC2, Crysis and Dirt2 maxed out on my athlon :p