Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Transferring Hard drives

Last response: in Storage
April 18, 2012 6:43:55 PM

Heya folks, I have a WD 1TB 7200 rpm hard drive. I have installed Windows xp and windows 7(2 times) on my hard drive, i think I have an issue with my files and speed. Im not the best with storage devices, but i think mines messed up. I had alot of Registry errors, may still while i think of it, and my computer doesnt seem to be as quick as it should be. All of my parts are brand new, i have an AMD a8-3870K APU, 8GB of kingston 1600 ram, A75-G55 Msi Mobo, and an AMD radeon 6870 GPU. when i built this system it was faster than fast, and im thinking that my issues may be in my hard drive. I have had to reinstall windows a few times and my programs a few times as well. What im thinking is that i have multiple files and my hard drive is reading from all of them. Now, i wanted to get another hard drive as back up anyways, so i was thinking, is there a way to transfer files over that i want and need, and then just wipe the hard drive thats giving me issues? Any help will be appreciated, seeming that i built this system, and i feel like it should definitely be quicker.
a b G Storage
April 18, 2012 7:37:48 PM

Hello,

Do you know what exact registry errors you receive? Also what do you mean your computer seems slower than what it should be?

The mere fact of installing programs can slow down your computer considerably, especially at start up. Although it depends on the programs you installed.

I would reccomend upgrading to Windows 7 Home premium. Windows 7 has much better multi-core support for newer processors (such as yours).

If you right click on your Task Bar and select task manager - go to the processes tab and see what programs/files are taking up CPU time and memory.

Heres a nice guide for File settings transfer wizard:

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto-01.html

You can also take off indexing on your hard drive. To do so follow these steps:

Open up "My computer" Right click on your C drive, select properties.

Under "general" uncheck "Allow indexing Service". Select "ignore all" if a prompt comes up.

This would slightly help with disk speed.
m
l
April 19, 2012 3:37:19 PM

Well first off, i guess i didnt write it correct, I do have windows 7 Home premium 64 Bit installed. So, i just put all that info because i wanted to state that i had Xp and now i have windows 7. What i meant about being as fast as it should be is, when i first had it all set up, this thing would inst-load, with all the programs i have now, but with having to reinstall windows about 4-5 times, it seems kinda slow. I dont have any issues once into games, but it just seems like its a little quirky on loading things. Maybe its just me, but it seems too slow for the setup. And for the registry errors, i am not 100 percent sure of what kind of errors i have, but i have AVG PC tune Up, and ran that registry fixer, didnt seem to do jack, and also when i tried to download Steam( a client for playing games) It gave me registry errors and i couldnt Download it. I was thinking about just wiping and starting over, but i didnt want to go through all the fuss or installing my stuff for a 6th time.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 19, 2012 4:09:40 PM

Samtastic06 said:
Well first off, i guess i didnt write it correct, I do have windows 7 Home premium 64 Bit installed. So, i just put all that info because i wanted to state that i had Xp and now i have windows 7. What i meant about being as fast as it should be is, when i first had it all set up, this thing would inst-load, with all the programs i have now, but with having to reinstall windows about 4-5 times, it seems kinda slow. I dont have any issues once into games, but it just seems like its a little quirky on loading things. Maybe its just me, but it seems too slow for the setup. And for the registry errors, i am not 100 percent sure of what kind of errors i have, but i have AVG PC tune Up, and ran that registry fixer, didnt seem to do jack, and also when i tried to download Steam( a client for playing games) It gave me registry errors and i couldnt Download it. I was thinking about just wiping and starting over, but i didnt want to go through all the fuss or installing my stuff for a 6th time.

Ok gotcha. First I would reccomend not using AVG PC tune up. I've never really liked antivirus companies making some kind of "PC tune up" program, IMO they tend to be buggy.

I know WEI scores aren't the best - but what exactly do you get for the scores in each category?

As for the registry errors - that can happen if you install then uninstall quite a few programs.

You should also try running CCleaner:

http://www.piriform.com/

Can you tell us what exact registry error you get when trying to install steam? That could possibly help a lot with helping fix your steam issue.

I also wonder if the "slowness" your noticing has anything to do with your AV. Maybe you can try installing something else other than AVG like Avira, and see if that makes a difference:

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

You have 8 GB of ram - is this a single stick, or 2x4GB sticks? I know those APU's are highly sensitive to RAM speed.

One more thing - do you have a lot of running processes in the background? Task Manager -> Processes -> Click on Show processes from all users. I would say anything higher than 60-65 processes will definitely slow things down depending on which programs are running.
m
l
April 23, 2012 2:17:10 AM

Well, I did take PC tune up off my system a little time ago. And my WEi scores are Processor 7.3 RAM 7.5 Graphics 7.8 Gaming Graphics 7.8 Primary Hard disk is 5.9 which i would think is horrible lol. Now for the Antivirus, i have Mcafee Antivirus, and the Norton Internet security, my wife bought me Norton so i figured id use it an dnot get yelled at lol. As for registry errors, i have no clue what errors i have, the programs i have ran say i have tons, but as for steam, once i installed windows 7, i had no problem with steam. And for RAM, it is 4 stick X2, all running at apparently 1333 MHZ, they said they were 1600, but thats what its running at. I looked at my processes, and i have 34 running, im not sure all that i dont need, but thast what i have. Im thinking i may remove Norton from my system, but my hard drives transfer rates seem really horrible, so im thinking a new hard drive, or a wipe may help, but im not sure.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
April 25, 2012 2:02:02 PM

Samtastic06 said:
Well, I did take PC tune up off my system a little time ago. And my WEi scores are Processor 7.3 RAM 7.5 Graphics 7.8 Gaming Graphics 7.8 Primary Hard disk is 5.9 which i would think is horrible lol. Now for the Antivirus, i have Mcafee Antivirus, and the Norton Internet security, my wife bought me Norton so i figured id use it an dnot get yelled at lol. As for registry errors, i have no clue what errors i have, the programs i have ran say i have tons, but as for steam, once i installed windows 7, i had no problem with steam. And for RAM, it is 4 stick X2, all running at apparently 1333 MHZ, they said they were 1600, but thats what its running at. I looked at my processes, and i have 34 running, im not sure all that i dont need, but thast what i have. Im thinking i may remove Norton from my system, but my hard drives transfer rates seem really horrible, so im thinking a new hard drive, or a wipe may help, but im not sure.

Ok. IMO your WEI scores seem about right for your system (No HDD's would get above 5.9, well maybe the raptor 10k 1TB).

As for your HDD transfer rates - that will depend on what your transferring to and from. If your transferring from your HDD to a USB key/device you will be limited to about 30MB/s transfer rate (with USB 2.0). Thats if the USB device supports that read/write speed.

If your going from HDD to HDD on the same system via SATA, you will be limited to around whatever speed your HDD is.

BTW - I've always had issues with Norton Internet Security with other people using it. It did seem to slow down whatever computer was using it (when I worked on peoples computers that had it). I find it to be not that great of software.

I think there's your problems - the "slowness" your "feeling" is NIS + Mcafee. What I would do if I were you would be to uninstall them both and install something free just to see if that "slowness" goes away. You could try something like FREE AVG + Microsoft Security Essentials.
April 29, 2012 2:29:29 PM

Best answer selected by Samtastic06.
m
l
!