Your question

Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X Unable to OC

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Sapphire
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
January 29, 2013 3:45:13 AM

I just recently picked up a Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X, installed it, and was pleased to see it running perfectly. However, when it came to OCing the card, it just wouldn't deliver.... at all. First, I tried 1100/1575 on stock voltage using TRIXX. I ran Heaven and 3DMark, each time having them both freeze my PC halfway through. Now, seeing as how voltage may have been a problem, I used Afterburner and boosted it to 1.25mw, and still, every time, my PC would crash halfway through the benchmarks.

At this point I started to experiment to try and source out the problem. I ran both Heaven and 3DMark at their lowest possible settings, with the card still OCed. Still the same results, leading me to believe that the problem may be in the actual card. Even marginally overclocking the card would produce the same results. I should also add that when OCed, the card only reaches 36 C max. Usually lower.

However, when I completely reset the setting back to factory stock, everything ran perfectly. This really has been a letdown seeing as how I researched the amazing results this card can produce when OCed. :( 

Oh and also, drivers are all updated.

EDIT: Card currently has "Boost" enabled, which is pretty much Sapphire's factory OC stuffed into a second BIOS, so the card is running 950/1250

System:
Intel 3570k
Z77 Sabertooth
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3
750W Corsair PSU
HD 7950
1TB WD Black
WIN 7

More about : sapphire 7950 vapor unable

a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 3:52:41 AM

you tried a 150MHz OC from the start and you complain that it fails, maybe start from 1GHZ and then gradualy turn up the speed? and you didnt mention if you OC the memory to
m
l
January 29, 2013 4:01:20 AM

crisan_tiberiu said:
you tried a 150MHz OC from the start and you complain that it fails, maybe start from 1GHZ and then gradualy turn up the speed? and you didnt mention if you OC the memory to

I've done this actually, same results. And yes, I OCed both memory and core clock.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2013 4:18:46 AM

I was having a problem with my 680 with that same PSU untill I upgraded to a CX 1050 now it overclocks fine.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2013 4:54:34 AM

try disabling the boost clock, it could be trying to force the card to underclock from your manual overclocks to the set boost clock, which afterburner/TRIXX probably wouldnt appreciate.
m
l
January 29, 2013 4:58:05 AM

Lord Tumnas said:
try disabling the boost clock, it could be trying to force the card to underclock from your manual overclocks to the set boost clock, which afterburner/TRIXX probably wouldnt appreciate.

Will try this and get back to you.

UPDATE: Did not work...
m
l
!