Sign in with
Your question

Q9450 reaching dangerous heat levels!

Last response: in CPUs
May 30, 2010 10:00:41 AM

Hi all,

I recently installed an Q9450 CPU for more performance and I am alarmed by the temperatures it's reading at idle and load. Also the first two cores are hotter than the last two cores, by roughly 3-6 degrees. I have not had any blue screens or glitches with the processor and everything runs well so i dont believe the processor its self is defective.
Are these temperatures normal? And if not can anyone give some advice on cooling.

Temperatures;

Idle:

The CPU will idle at 48-55 degrees Celsius (varies in that range depending on whether i'm just in windows or surfing the net).
http://img714.imageshack.us/i/idlestats.png/

This is an typical reading,
Core #0 53
Core #1 53
Core #2 48
Core #3 48

Load:

On average the CPU will hit 65-73 degrees Celsius Under load(70%+ Usage)
http://img25.imageshack.us/i/loadstats.png/ (couldn't minimise GTA 4 without the temperature dropping quickly)

This is an typical reading under stress conditions,
Core #0 70
Core #1 69
Core #2 68
Core #3 68

System stats;
Motherboard: ASUS P5E3
CPU: Intel Q9450 @ stock speed of 2.66GHz.
Memory: 4GB(4x1GB sticks) Corsair DDR3 @ 1333Mhz (the memory units also have little heat-sinks on them)
Graphics card: An ATi 5770 at stock speeds.
Hard disk: 300GB(don't know make)
PSU: 650W (I think its an artic not sure though)

Cooling setup;
I have an Eye-T Gladiator case (http://www.microgate.co.uk/media/images/product_detail/...)
One 120mm fan at the front(where the lights are on above picture) sucks air in.
One 120mm fan at the back 1/2 way down the box(just below PSU) draws air out.
One 120mm fan on the side of the case blowing air in onto the GPU/motherboard(just below the CPU and heat-sink)
One crappy stock heat-sink from Intel.
Thermal paste(put on enough to completely cover the contacts on the Heat sink with 2-3mm thickness): says WLPG on the syringe - its good stuff - was £18 for a syringe of it.

Regards, futo

a b à CPUs
May 30, 2010 10:53:24 AM

I think I know your problem - if you're covering it with two - three mm of thermal paste, that's far too much. Just a tiny blob should suffice. Also, did you make sure your stock heatsink was mounted in properly? Your case airflow seems fine.
May 30, 2010 11:19:58 AM

Thanks for the reply Lmeow, i managed to mount the heatsink fine,
I have ordered a new heat sink now anyway which should come by Wednesday so i wont reapply thermal paste to my current one. but will applying more thermal paste hurt heat dispersion as its all still conductive and it gets squashed in to the right places when you pin down the heat sink?
I had applied thermal paste so that the contact on the heat sink was completely covered from he centre to 1mm from the edge(to account for the squashing). No paste "ran out" after i'd clamped everything down so i assume i applied it well.
Related resources
May 30, 2010 1:42:46 PM

Best practice for thermal grease is to apply a thin layer spread across the surface of the heatsink contact. You are only trying to fill in micro gaps in the surface. Drop a small amount on and use a clean swab to spread it around, or a piece of paper on the end of your finger. Make sure not to get any particulate mixed into the grease.

Improper mounting of the HS/FAN assembly is a common cause of overheating. Many heatsinks come with crappy connectors which are hard to determine if they are seated properly.
May 30, 2010 2:10:33 PM

After your replies i figured id reapply the paste, i shut-off everything wiped the contacts on hsf and cpu clean with some alcohol, dried them with some paper and reapplied the paste much more thinly less than a multimeter this time and i mounted the heatsink again properly. however its been a few hours and a few reboots and things haven't improved with similar temperatures to before, i hear these cores are supposed to idle in the high thirties and hit the high fifties under load. is it possible the stock heatsink just isn't up to the mark?
May 30, 2010 4:04:08 PM

I would say yes the heatsink is not doing its job (for whatever reason) or that the processor is being overclocked and the heatsink can't keep up.

This may sound silly, but with the computer on its side and running, VERY CAREFULLY apply some downward pressure to the heatsink, what happens to the temp?

p.s. sticking your hand inside a case with running fans is generally a BAD idea, but I am out of suggestions. I had this problem with a HS/Fan once, it was seated but just wan't making good contact, even when I verified that it was clipped in properly there was too much movement and I could verify this by pressing down very gently on it, which dropped the temp dramatically. buying a new HS/Fan unit solved the issue. If yours feels like it is secure it should be doing its job.
May 30, 2010 4:47:32 PM

canadian69, im running the 9450 at stock speed 2.66Ghz and as far as i an tell that hsf aint budging at all and temps remain constant as ever during runtime. I took a look in bios and the fan on the heatsink has a speed of 1800RPM so the fan is spinning decently too. Ive ordered an replacement heatsink the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Do you believe this is a good enough replacement(that said anything seems better than what ive got now) as ive heard some of these heat sinks wont fit some boards or are too heavy but mine's an socket 775 so it should
May 30, 2010 5:13:01 PM

Words of caution here, make sure the HS is going to fit in your case. Some of these 3rd party vendor HS are unwieldy, and thats an understatement. Bigger is not always better!

Another thing, those types of plastic push pin connectors are crap. I have had no end of trouble with these, just be careful. I know your options are limited when it comes to the types of connectors. They break easy and sometime pop off, sometimes weeks or months after install.

I have heard that Noctua is very good. As is Thermalright. I know they are more expensive (about 2-3 times as expensive) but you wouldn't use cheap bricks in the foundation of your house. Just my 2 cents.
May 30, 2010 6:37:43 PM

cheers for that Canadian, ill look up your suggestions and maybe get one of them if the Arctic isn't quite what everyone's been saying it is and if the push pins fail i guess there are always cable ties for good measure lol. Ill look in to extra mounts or screw-in versions too.
May 30, 2010 7:05:24 PM

Ya, that looks like a good one, similar to the Thermalright Venomous, but less expensive. Sort of depends on where you are in the world and what currency you are using too.
May 30, 2010 7:42:38 PM

erm, UK and British pounds, ill have a look for this one in an European or uk shop
May 31, 2010 10:20:17 AM

Overclockers are quite good, been there a few times and i dont know if you've heard of it but the red store(http://www.redstore.com/base/front_page.php) can have some pretty good prices from time to time.

And for some good news,the idle temps on the core have dropped to the 45-50 range, which is more bearable but still, i believe, far too hot for a 45nm cpu in idle.
a c 82 à CPUs
May 31, 2010 11:15:02 AM

typical application of thermal paste is a small spot the size of a grain of (uncooked) rice, and let the heat synch spread it out.

whats the airflow in the case like, whats the 'system' temp in speedfan reading?
May 31, 2010 12:16:37 PM

futo333 said:
Overclockers are quite good, been there a few times and i dont know if you've heard of it but the red store(http://www.redstore.com/base/front_page.php) can have some pretty good prices from time to time.

And for some good news,the idle temps on the core have dropped to the 45-50 range, which is more bearable but still, i believe, far too hot for a 45nm cpu in idle.

After reading some reviews on some of the heatsinks we have been talking about I have seen people state that they can get it down to like 25-35 in idle states. It'll be interesting to see the results of your new purchase.
!