Sign in with
Your question

RAID 6 or 50..? with 8x RE4-GP 2TB drives.....

Last response: in Storage
April 18, 2012 7:45:51 PM

HI all,

Im looking to set up a raid array with 8x RE4-GP drives, it will be used for storage and streaming HD video.

I am thinking of a RAID 6. However RAID 50 maybe a good alternative. What would be the differences between 6, and 50? And what would the read/write difference be?

Many thanks :) 

More about : raid re4 2tb drives

April 18, 2012 7:46:36 PM

forgot: I am using the ASR-6805
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 18, 2012 11:54:17 PM

hexstatic said:
... It will be used for storage and streaming HD video...

If that is your application, then you do not need all that fancy, high performance set up like that
Save $$ for the HDD instead.

get 2x SPM393 - HW raid5 http://www.amazon.com/multiplier-hardware-RAID0-CLONE-C...

Create TWO raid5
Then you can configure it as RAID0 or Mirror or SPAN (BIG)
a b G Storage
April 19, 2012 4:24:17 AM

Just go RAID 5 or 6. RAID 5 will allow 1 drive to fail without losing your data, RAID 6 allows 2 drives to fail and the first failure will not impact performance. I would just do 1 big RAID 5 or RAID 6 array if I were you.

RAID 50 will required 2 parity drives just like RAID 6, but if 2 happen to fail in the same stripe, you're screwed. The benefit of RAID50 would be a little faster write performance but thats not really important in your application.
a b G Storage
May 3, 2012 6:59:53 PM

tokencode said:
Just go RAID 5 or 6. RAID 5 will allow 1 drive to fail without losing your data, RAID 6 allows 2 drives to fail and the first failure will not impact performance. I would just do 1 big RAID 5 or RAID 6 array if I were you.

RAID 50 will required 2 parity drives just like RAID 6, but if 2 happen to fail in the same stripe, you're screwed. The benefit of RAID50 would be a little faster write performance but thats not really important in your application.

Totally agree!
If you have the card already, otherwise you can save serious $$$ by using SPM39x series controller
!