Solved

Cat5 Cable to USB Adapter?

I have an older laptop that doesn't have a standard ethernet port nor a wireless card... so I was wondering if they make adapters that take a normal Cat5 cable (comming from the modem/router) and then 'convert' it into a USB cord so that I can plug it into my very old laptop giving it internet access. Thanks in advance for any responses.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cat5 cable adapter
  1. d0xic said:
    I have an older laptop that doesn't have a standard ethernet port nor a wireless card... so I was wondering if they make adapters that take a normal Cat5 cable (comming from the modem/router) and then 'convert' it into a USB cord so that I can plug it into my very old laptop giving it internet access. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Not that I know of, but they make USB wireless network devices. From what I hear, the reliability isn't the greatest, but it would at least give you an option to get online
  2. Best answer
    An ethernet to USB adapter will be cheap and easy to find at any computer retailer. They seem to work fine.

You might also look at a PCMCIA slot to ethernet adapter which may cost a little more.
  3. Quote:
    An ethernet to USB adapter will be cheap and easy to find at any computer retailer. They seem to work fine.

You might also look at a PCMCIA slot to ethernet adapter which may cost a little more.

Wow, I've never seen an ethernet-USB adapter. Guess I should have done a quick Google search. Sorry for mis-informing you OP.
  4. Best answer selected by d0xic.
Ask a new question

Read More

LAN Laptops USB Adapter Cable Networking