Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cat5 Cable to USB Adapter?

Last response: in Networking
February 3, 2010 10:38:49 PM

I have an older laptop that doesn't have a standard ethernet port nor a wireless card... so I was wondering if they make adapters that take a normal Cat5 cable (comming from the modem/router) and then 'convert' it into a USB cord so that I can plug it into my very old laptop giving it internet access. Thanks in advance for any responses.

More about : cat5 cable usb adapter

February 4, 2010 1:00:36 AM

d0xic said:
I have an older laptop that doesn't have a standard ethernet port nor a wireless card... so I was wondering if they make adapters that take a normal Cat5 cable (comming from the modem/router) and then 'convert' it into a USB cord so that I can plug it into my very old laptop giving it internet access. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Not that I know of, but they make USB wireless network devices. From what I hear, the reliability isn't the greatest, but it would at least give you an option to get online
m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 4, 2010 3:28:42 AM

An ethernet to USB adapter will be cheap and easy to find at any computer retailer. They seem to work fine.

You might also look at a PCMCIA slot to ethernet adapter which may cost a little more.
Related resources
February 4, 2010 9:50:08 AM

Quote:
An ethernet to USB adapter will be cheap and easy to find at any computer retailer. They seem to work fine.

You might also look at a PCMCIA slot to ethernet adapter which may cost a little more.

Wow, I've never seen an ethernet-USB adapter. Guess I should have done a quick Google search. Sorry for mis-informing you OP.
m
l
February 14, 2010 12:36:27 AM

Best answer selected by d0xic.
m
l
!