slauterama

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
hi, can anyone tell me if these components are compatible with each other

AMD AMD Athlon X2 7850

ASROCK alivexfire-esata2

i've bought these components and have bench tested them(CPU, PSU, 1 stick of ram, GPU, all that happens when i hit the power button is that the fans on the CPU, GPU and PSU spin for about a second and then nothing...everything is connected in the right place

the specs are

AMD AMD Athlon X2 7850
ASROCK alivexfire-esata2
cit 450 watt psu
3gb ram 5300(bench tested with 1gb at a time)
2x 160gb sata hard drives
2x radeon HD4550(bench tested with just one, with the PCI E switch card)

i've tried this with multiple configurations, in the case, out the case...it feels like i've tried everything and im at a stand still...all that happens is that the fans spin for a second and then they stop...any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
AM2+ Athlon X2 AD785ZWCJ2BGH Kuma 2800MHz 1800MHz 512KB+512KB 2MB B3 95W....

Is on the supported list since version P3.10 of the BIOS for the motherboard. Check your BIOS revision.

slauterama

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
it says p3.50-7b on the actual chip.

so if its a BIOS chip problem...is there any actual way i can update the bios? or will i have to get a whole new CPU?

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Hi
Even though your vga cards arent powerful at all, your psu might be the culprit because it is a no name brand and i would strongly advice to not use this psu. now it can be either this or that you have shorted the motherboard. this is because i have the experience of this problem in the past and it was that the motherboard was short. this short could have happened by static or a metal in contact with the motherboard while running. Hope i helped

slauterama

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
would a short'd mother board be like a permanent thing then?:S and yeah i was wondering if the PSU could be to blame, ie not being powerfull enough.

thing is, it wont even stay on when theres no graphics cards installed...what kinda power supply would you recomend?

cheers for your help, its much appreciated

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Hi
If it is shorted then in some cases it can be repaired, but it depends. otherwise it is permanently damaged. as far as a psu i concerned, i suggest that you first test your system with another psu. get it from a friend or go to a computer shop and ask them to test it. if it works then go for a psu else you can think of something else. and if u are certain to buy a psu then tell me your budget first. also any corsair psu will be fine, but then again if you have some money then go for a corsair psu atleast 500W as it will support many vga cards in the future. i am currently using corsair cx400 which is 400W and yeah eventhough it is a solid psu but the wattage is low. if i have to get a decent vga card then i would have to upgrade it. hope i helped

slauterama

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
well, i have tested it with a HP 365Watt PSU...its lower power etc, so that wouldnt really prove it was the CPU and i got the same results :\ i guess i'll try a new PSU and if that fails, a new board...lol, i wish i could remember where i ordered this board from so i could send it back as faulty, if it is the board

but yeah, you guys have helped :)

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

hi
if it happened with the hp psu as well then i think your motherboard is screwed.because it should atleast start. secondly it doesnt matterif the hp one was lower in wattage as compared to the psu u have. when u want to buy a psu just remember to chk the following things in that same order:
1) brand name
2) amps on +12v rail
3) efficiency
4) wattage
5) price

if these things are high and good then you can rest assure that your psu will be fine. it also depends on your needs. if you intend to run your system only and not upgrade in near future then a 450W psu or even the 400W corsair psu will be sufficient. Hope i helped

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
The symptom you are describing is indicative of a CPU problem, is there a tech shop around that you could take it to to have them see if they can get it to POST with another CPU? Even without memory or video card, you should get stable POST followed by POST error codes. Fans should stay running. The other culprit would be the PSU, and the motherboard is not get a power good signal which would create the described symptom, but since you have swapped PSU's that is starting to look less likely. And as lordszone says lastly and hopefully not the case, but the motherboard may be a problem. Try stripping the whole unit down, lay the motherboard on a non-conductive surface, connect the power supply only and see what happens. Double check your jumper settings too.

slauterama

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
just tried powering it up without the CPU in the socket...the CPU, GPU and PSU fans all start up and spin as happy as a rat with a golden tooth

would this indicate something is wrong with the CPU?

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Is there a small speaker attached to this? Are you getting post codes? I'm not expecting that you would without the CPU installed, but either way installed or not are you getting any beeps? Also, check the PINs on the CPU make sure nothing is bent or broken.

slauterama

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
with the CPU removed when i hook up the case speaker from my other computer, it emmits one long whine...

with the CPU in it emmits a whine that lasts as long as the fans spin...or as long as i hold the power button down

slauterama

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
how would i tell? on the actaul bios chip it just says "ALIVE XFIRE-ESATA2 P3.50-7B, in the manual it says "bios LPC chip" if that helps at all :S

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Did you check the CPU pins?
Did you check to make sure the CMOS clear jumper is not set?
Did you check to make sure there aren't any shorts? (by stripping it down to just the MOBO and PSU as suggested)

I looked at the manual and it says AMI, so I will assume thats correct.
One continuous beep would point me to a serious motherboard fault (defect or short) however it isn't actually listed as a valid AMI BIOS beep code so its hard to tell. A series of 7 beeps would indicate a CPU problem. So, looks like you may need to replace the motherboard, but I wouldn't do that without at least attempting to check some other CPU in it first. Which you may need to do before you will get an RMA number from your vendor. Or maybe an easier test would be to test the CPU in another machine. That may be easier for a tech to do locally.

slauterama

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
the CPU pins are all straight and fine
Cmos jumper is in the right place according to the manual
when stipped down to just MOBO and PSU, the power supply comes on and runs fine, if i plug in the CPU fan, that spins fine, when the graphics cards are in, both fans spin fine, tried plugging in the case fan and that spins fine

it seems like the only time things dont spin, or LED's dont come on is when the CPU is in its socket

cheers for all the help btw