Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking to 5ghz with an 3770k?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 29, 2013 6:05:19 AM

What motherboard will i need? or do you recommend?

also i am getting the NZXT Kraken X60 water cooler, which is very nice and fits perfectly in my case :) 

so yeah i just need help in picking a motherboard which will make me archive the 5ghz mark if possible
January 29, 2013 6:53:03 AM

footlong96 said:
Sabertooth.

yeah i can agree as well but does anything else at the same or similar price tag more better than an sabertooth?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a c 150 K Overclocking
January 29, 2013 7:54:13 AM

Go custom water.

Is there any reason on why you want 5ghz?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2013 7:59:51 AM

probably not going to happen
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2013 8:23:58 AM

for gaming? if so, just get the i5. Its a lot of money to spend on that setup for the minimal gains it will get you for gaming. Money better spent on more video cards, and/or monitors.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2013 9:11:47 AM

Even watercooling a a massive feat for 5.0Ghz on Ivy, good luck! If your only interested in the 5.0Ghz club go for an i7 2700k.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2013 9:12:28 AM

Oh sorry the motherboard you want for this is the Asrock Z77 OC, and not the sabertooth!
m
l
January 29, 2013 9:40:43 AM

mmm if so ill just overclock to 4.6-4.8 :| haha !

and its for everyday gaming and editing as well :\
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2013 9:47:09 AM

ivybridge is hot hot hot. its why i prefer sandybridge. the sad part is, is that it didnt have to be that way. the main reason ivybridge runs so hot is because of the cheap compound they used between the die and the heatspreader.
m
l
January 31, 2013 6:43:24 AM

neon neophyte said:
ivybridge is hot hot hot. its why i prefer sandybridge. the sad part is, is that it didnt have to be that way. the main reason ivybridge runs so hot is because of the cheap compound they used between the die and the heatspreader.

That has only part of the blame. As the transistors get smaller, you will see that overclockings going to be harder to do. Intel knows that and so they left big big big HUGE "easter eggs" when they launched Haswell at CES 2013. They said it was going to be "an overclockers dream". But the transistor size has to do a lot with it.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 31, 2013 10:24:28 AM

transistor size only has part to do with it. ivybridge is seeing good overclocks from people who do something called "delidding."
m
l
February 1, 2013 6:29:06 AM

neon neophyte said:
transistor size only has part to do with it. ivybridge is seeing good overclocks from people who do something called "delidding."

Soo risky to do though D:

And im just psyched and ready to see what intel will bring to us with haswell for us overclockers.
m
l
February 1, 2013 2:57:22 PM

footlong96 said:
Soo risky to do though D:

And im just psyched and ready to see what intel will bring to us with haswell for us overclockers.

when do you think they will release the new cpus ? should i wait ? or should i just get the 3770k and overclock it too 4.6 - 4.8ghz? :s
m
l
February 2, 2013 3:17:47 PM

andiedee said:
when do you think they will release the new cpus ? should i wait ? or should i just get the 3770k and overclock it too 4.6 - 4.8ghz? :s

its possible to achieve 5.0ghz, but before the mobo you would need a good processor (DELIDED my processor to achive lower temps and higher ovrclock)

it could be done by AIR or Water here is a guide for 3370K..

http://www.overclock.net/t/1247413/ivy-bridge-overclock...

i was going to recommend asus formula V but you have a closed loop, so you cant hook it up with loop.

but the gene V would do crazy work and affordable @ 200$ (its a overlcocking board) , and above then 200 $ asus P8Z77- ( Pro or deluxe ) higher in price but better phase CPU power design + -phase iGPU power design for overclocking.

gene V is as good or better then saber tooth as in performance, and the rest are just better. (they are all limit to two way sli)

so now its about looks and what you want!!!

m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2013 3:35:35 PM

delidded ivys are sexy. careful though, it has killed more than a couple processors
m
l
February 2, 2013 3:42:53 PM

neon neophyte said:
delidded ivys are sexy. careful though, it has killed more than a couple processors

from 50C down to 40C (change in delta -10C)... im pretty satisfied, but im using Artic Silver 5. i just order indigo and liquid Pro i will try more tests and could update...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2013 3:45:46 PM

i always like a good delidded thread.

i like delidded ivys more than i like my sandy and i like my sandy more than regular ivys.
m
l
February 8, 2013 10:39:56 AM

ashrafkreidieh said:
its possible to achieve 5.0ghz, but before the mobo you would need a good processor (DELIDED my processor to achive lower temps and higher ovrclock)

http://imageshack.us/a/img515/2128/img2013013100366.jpg

it could be done by AIR or Water here is a guide for 3370K..

http://www.overclock.net/t/1247413/ivy-bridge-overclock...

i was going to recommend asus formula V but you have a closed loop, so you cant hook it up with loop.

but the gene V would do crazy work and affordable @ 200$ (its a overlcocking board) , and above then 200 $ asus P8Z77- ( Pro or deluxe ) higher in price but better phase CPU power design + -phase iGPU power design for overclocking.

gene V is as good or better then saber tooth as in performance, and the rest are just better. (they are all limit to two way sli)

so now its about looks and what you want!!!

ahh yes yes i heard about that i was looking to getting into that haha !

i was looking at the mpower by MSI, which is amazing overclocking board but is the gene V ?
m
l
February 8, 2013 12:11:02 PM

Here I'm providing an article with use of different TIMs with 3770k and overclocking. The Test has been done on the ASUS Gene V with the chip being delidded and I wouldn't recommend such a big blade like he used, I would use a thin blade like a straight edge would use and take my time with it.

From the image above, he was able to achieve high overclocks with the right combination of TIMs with fairly low temps.

Below link for the Full Article (Click the second Link in the forum page for the English Version of the Article):

http://www.overclock.net/t/1260555/ib-tim-replaced-indi...

For the mobo... MSI makes great boards i had my MSI Z77A-GD80 which was great for overclocking and had great features similar to the MPOWER but
i enjoy my ASUS motherboards way more then my MSI. Even thought MSI makes strong boards and well build but to me ASUS is still better for features performance and overlclocking.

best overclock records were achieve by ASUS boards and have a better variety for watecooling...

But in the end its your choice, they both make great overclocking boards.
m
l
February 8, 2013 2:30:35 PM

neon neophyte said:
i always like a good delidded thread.

i like delidded ivys more than i like my sandy and i like my sandy more than regular ivys.

you will enjoy this thread:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1260555 [...] -4-9ghz-70

Click the second Link in the forum page for the English Version of the Article
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2013 4:08:51 PM

ash, how many gflops do you get on intel burn test?
m
l
February 8, 2013 4:59:10 PM

neon neophyte said:
ash, how many gflops do you get on intel burn test?

wow, just learned something new ...

i didn't know about this performance test, my Rig is offline just ordered a new mobo and it will arrive this Sunday.
i will tell you much i get on GFLOPS,,, soon enough. also got some new TIM
m
l
February 10, 2013 5:45:52 AM

ashrafkreidieh said:
Here I'm providing an article with use of different TIMs with 3770k and overclocking. The Test has been done on the ASUS Gene V with the chip being delidded and I wouldn't recommend such a big blade like he used, I would use a thin blade like a straight edge would use and take my time with it.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8929/47ht130v20linxavxlqppk1.png

From the image above, he was able to achieve high overclocks with the right combination of TIMs with fairly low temps.

Below link for the Full Article (Click the second Link in the forum page for the English Version of the Article):

http://www.overclock.net/t/1260555/ib-tim-replaced-indi...

For the mobo... MSI makes great boards i had my MSI Z77A-GD80 which was great for overclocking and had great features similar to the MPOWER but
i enjoy my ASUS motherboards way more then my MSI. Even thought MSI makes strong boards and well build but to me ASUS is still better for features performance and overlclocking.

best overclock records were achieve by ASUS boards and have a better variety for watecooling...

But in the end its your choice, they both make great overclocking boards.

:o  very nice !
well i was looking at it but my budget is 200 AUS dollars which is the same price as the mpower.
so yeah i am looking more towards to the mpower more than everything else.. just wanted to know that if it will get to the same results as you ?
m
l
February 12, 2013 8:18:40 PM

redeemer said:
Even watercooling a a massive feat for 5.0Ghz on Ivy, good luck! If your only interested in the 5.0Ghz club go for an i7 2700k.

im running a rs240 kit on mine as i type im sitting at 4.9 with 1.455v. i averaged 78c with a max of 80c on one core. 5ghz can be done on custom water, this is also my first watercooling venture. board is z77 mpower by the way
m
l
a c 297 V Motherboard
a c 293 K Overclocking
June 24, 2013 1:22:41 PM

ASUS Maximus V (any model) or MSI MPower Z77.

My real question is: Why do you need 5GHz? Because for those 5GHz stable you will need a very good voltage, that even on liquid cooling could be "dangerous" for that CPU.
m
l
June 26, 2013 6:55:40 AM

saint19 said:

My real question is: Why do you need 5GHz? Because for those 5GHz stable you will need a very good voltage, that even on liquid cooling could be "dangerous" for that CPU.

im thinking of getting the 4770k, is it good for overclocking?
m
l
a c 297 V Motherboard
a c 293 K Overclocking
June 26, 2013 8:11:41 AM

andiedee said:
saint19 said:

im thinking of getting the 4770k, is it good for overclocking?

Those are perfect, if you want another option the ASRock Z87 OC Formula is very solid too.
m
l
!