Questions about hooking up drives to which sata ports

tommytmi

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
I would like to know which ports and mother board settings I should use when hooking up my ASUS CD-ROM SATA 24X DVD Burner, Western Digital Caviar Blue W 640GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive, and a Intel 80 GB X25M Mainstream SATA II SSD. I have a Gigabyte ud3r motherboard. I have read a lot of the posts so I am thinking I should hook the front panel sata to GSata 2_8 and set it to AHCI but what about the others?

Thanks for your help!

Solution
There is only one selection in the bios. Use achi for both. If one already has ide, then you will have to format and reinstall windows so both use the same setting, or continue using ide with the new ssd. Another option is to clone your current drive.
Unless you have mixed sata ports (some 3.0 and some 6.0) it won't matter which ones you use. If the ssd isn't detected, you can try prepping it with some hardrive software. I use maxblast 5.0, a free download. You may also go to the device manager and click on a small icon on the right side at the top to detect any new devices if you plug them in after you've started windows.

There is only one selection in the bios. Use achi for both. If one already has ide, then you will have to format and reinstall windows so both use the same setting, or continue using ide with the new ssd. Another option is to clone your current drive.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS