A very easy to follow guide to overclocking

jblovekim

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
A very easy step by step guide with no screwing around just straight to the point to tell us what to do
I've been reading some guides and its hard to follow on with those 15 paragraph walls of text, and i'm just wondering what is the most straightforward step to overclock a CPU, so far what i got was this
1. go to bios and change the voltage
2. tinker with the multiplier, multiply clock ratio and bclk frequency to get your desired speed
3. save what you did and reboot
4. do some stress/temperature test and stuff
Am i missing something here?
oh and why do the guides I read say something about setting up the ram to blablabla, i though I was overclocking the cpu?

Hello... as you raise your FSB, the RAM speed will change too... CPU's are easy to overclock, due to direct heatsink/fan cooling... but your RAM is not so easy to overclock, in other words, adjust your ram back to standard setting for greater CPU overclocks.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
If you want to maximize a CPU overclock, then loosen your memory timings to their limit first. That will allow you to see how far you can push the CPU. There is a lot more to do as well, like manually setting the PCI/PCIE bus speeds, etc.

jblovekim

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

what are these "a lot more to do as well" ?

Sorry i'm just a beginner and I really want know more about overclocking, the basic ways to overclock a cpu and the easiest way to do it for a dummy like me

**1. go to bios and change the voltage to what? do you know the safe limits of your chip? can't just go altering things, especially voltage willynilly
2. tinker with the multiplier, multiply clock ratio and bclk frequency to get your desired speed Again, tinker/adjust to what settings? just pick a number and decide thats what you want?
3. save what you did and reboot at last, a sensible view, always save your bios adjustments
4. do some stress/temperature test and stuff and stuff?....
Am i missing something here? Yes, about fourteen and a half pages of information, warnings and a whole lot of sense
oh and why do the guides I read say something about setting up the ram to blablabla, i though I was overclocking the cpu If you read the whole thing you would know why you set the ram to certain speeds and voltage manually

Seriously, it may seem like a lot of unneccessary tat but those fifteen pages are years of knowledge condensed into a shortform to help those with a little patience understand how to overclock and are the result of a lot of work on the authors part,
If you are indeed a dummy as you claim, then you should not be overclocking as one day soon you will arbitrarily adjust something and then Pc go bang, which is where the expense side of things comes into play, you don't know what you did and its going to cost you to have it assessed by someone who does know what he is doing, and thats before bringing in the cost of replacement hardware,
TLDR?
If you don't have the time to learn, don't do it.
Moto