TDS - Erm, wheres the gripping plot?

I've just finished mission 7 "killing time" and a brief glance at a
walkthrough has shocked me after realising that I am 75% through the game?

Like many people I was waiting for TDS a LONG time, also like many people I
have been playing T since the first day of release (in the uk) of TDP, so my
expectations of TDS were at to get at least as much game as the other two.

I am a bit nonplussed as to where the gripping plot is and also the tiny
size of the levels so far. The first few are mere practice levels compared
to TDS and T2. Also why have the keepers been made out to be slimy snidy
idiots, I'm pretty sure they didn't some across like that before.

I'm really pissed off as this should have been so much better than it is.
The next 3 missions better be bigger and better!

BTW - If you wondering why its took me so long to play it after claiming to
be a big fan, I've been studying damn hard!

I am praying for a level editor so that the trully talented can put these
wrongs to right.

I'm not as disappointed as you are but you've got a point re: the
inconsistencies.
Still like Thief 1&2 better and probably always will after having come
towards the end of DS.
Not a bad game though. Maybe we're just too used to the older ones from
playing them for so long?

"Barnaby" <nospam@please.no> kirjoitti viestissä
> I'm not as disappointed as you are but you've got a point re: the
> inconsistencies.
> Still like Thief 1&2 better and probably always will after having come
> towards the end of DS.
> Not a bad game though. Maybe we're just too used to the older ones from
> playing them for so long?

Perhaps so. Still, while I don't think the plot of TDS is without its
faults, all things considered, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I found the
ending -- which I'm not going to spoil -- extremely satisfying and... yes,
appropriate. This is how I wanted it to end. This is how I think it was
'meant' to end.

- Mika L

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 20:15:22 +0300, Mika Latokartano confounded his critics
by announcing:

> "Barnaby" <nospam@please.no> kirjoitti viestissä
>> I'm not as disappointed as you are but you've got a point re: the
>> inconsistencies.
>> Still like Thief 1&2 better and probably always will after having come
>> towards the end of DS.
>> Not a bad game though. Maybe we're just too used to the older ones from
>> playing them for so long?

That could be it. A bit like watching a new TV series of a older classic
one, where they might do everything right but you've seen the old ones so
many times, the new one can't possibly live up to your expectations. Red
Dwarf springs to mind.

> Perhaps so. Still, while I don't think the plot of TDS is without its
> faults, all things considered, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I found the
> ending -- which I'm not going to spoil -- extremely satisfying and... yes,
> appropriate. This is how I wanted it to end. This is how I think it was
> 'meant' to end.
>
> - Mika L

You've convinced me to see it though, I think it is the "satisfying" that
does it!

> I'm not as disappointed as you are but you've got a point re: the
> inconsistencies.
> Still like Thief 1&2 better and probably always will after having come
> towards the end of DS.
> Not a bad game though. Maybe we're just too used to the older ones from
> playing them for so long?

I liked TDS a lot but I think that it is a lot more "style over substance"
oriented than the first two.

"Paul Harris" <lord_harris@lycosNo-SPAM.com> writes:

> I liked TDS a lot but I think that it is a lot more "style over substance"
> oriented than the first two.

There were a lot of good things in TDS, plot wise. Ie, there are
subtle foreshadowings of the main enemy even in the tutorial mission.
There were some side plots that petered out though - I expected a full
war to brew between the Pagans and Hammerites and have that story come
to the fore. The plot also ties together with the first and second
game plots thematically.

--
Darin Johnson
Where am I? In the village... What do you want? Information...

"Darin Johnson" <darin_@_usa_._net> wrote in message
> "Paul Harris" <lord_harris@lycosNo-SPAM.com> writes:
>
> > I liked TDS a lot but I think that it is a lot more "style over
substance"
> > oriented than the first two.
>
> There were a lot of good things in TDS, plot wise. Ie, there are
> subtle foreshadowings of the main enemy even in the tutorial mission.

Really? Remind me.

> There were some side plots that petered out though - I expected a full
> war to brew between the Pagans and Hammerites and have that story come
> to the fore.

I agree. I was expecting the coming dark age to be an apocalyptic war
between the Pagans and Hammers. I figured that whoever the main enemy turned
out to be, he/she was probably deliberately trying to provoke a conflict -
hence the theft of the Chalice/Paw.

--
"I will not live in a land where man is deprived
of his basic right to raise sheep on Mars."

http://www.sendbobtomars.com

"Paul Harris" <lord_harris@lycosNo-SPAM.com> writes:

> > There were a lot of good things in TDS, plot wise. Ie, there are
> > subtle foreshadowings of the main enemy even in the tutorial mission.
>
> Really? Remind me.

Hmm, my memory now tells me this was mission one and not the
tutorial... The bit where the guards mention someone finding
a body with no skin. By the time the game explicitly talks
about the main enemy I already knew it was going to be the hag
and that there was an orphanage involved.

> I figured that whoever the main enemy turned
> out to be, he/she was probably deliberately trying to provoke a conflict -
> hence the theft of the Chalice/Paw.

I liked the bit that one of the artifacts was recovered in Thief 1. I
was sort of expecting to discover that Garrett had been manipulated in
the first two games precisely to recover artifacts to be used by the
enemy now. I spent of a bit of time trying to remember if the "Heart"
was found in Thief 2 or not; if it had been a mask of some sort it
would have neatly tied a lot of things together.

--
Darin Johnson
I'm not a well adjusted person, but I play one on the net.

Darin Johnson <darin_@_usa_._net> wrote in

> "Paul Harris" <lord_harris@lycosNo-SPAM.com> writes:
>
>> I liked TDS a lot but I think that it is a lot more "style over
>> substance" oriented than the first two.
>
> There were a lot of good things in TDS, plot wise. Ie, there are
> subtle foreshadowings of the main enemy even in the tutorial mission.
> There were some side plots that petered out though - I expected a full
> war to brew between the Pagans and Hammerites and have that story come
> to the fore. The plot also ties together with the first and second
> game plots thematically.

Yeah I hear you on your points here.

I was surprised that the two factions did not war.

> "Paul Harris" <lord_harris@lycosNo-SPAM.com> writes:
>
>> > There were a lot of good things in TDS, plot wise. Ie, there are
>> > subtle foreshadowings of the main enemy even in the tutorial
>> > mission.
>>
>> Really? Remind me.
>
> Hmm, my memory now tells me this was mission one and not the
> tutorial... The bit where the guards mention someone finding
> a body with no skin. By the time the game explicitly talks
> about the main enemy I already knew it was going to be the hag
> and that there was an orphanage involved.
>
>> I figured that whoever the main enemy turned
>> out to be, he/she was probably deliberately trying to provoke a
>> conflict - hence the theft of the Chalice/Paw.
>
> I liked the bit that one of the artifacts was recovered in Thief 1. I
> was sort of expecting to discover that Garrett had been manipulated in
> the first two games precisely to recover artifacts to be used by the
> enemy now. I spent of a bit of time trying to remember if the "Heart"
> was found in Thief 2 or not; if it had been a mask of some sort it
> would have neatly tied a lot of things together.

What about that Mask in Drepts office?

Wasn't that from one of the other thief games too ?

I was glad to see they kep "G"'s mech eye for this iteration of Thief.

I miss the rope arrows.