ericgericg

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
My winxp home edition shows a System Restore tab. It lets me select restore points. When I click Restore it goes thru the motions including shutdown and boottup but always ends with the note that "the system cannot be restored". This happens with both my computers and applies to all restore points, including the ones I created.
What is going on here? Can anybody help?
Eric

ericgericg

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

Thank you for your reply. My settings for Disk Space Use are set to Max, 12%(9422MB).
I think this should be enough, in any case the pointer is at MAX and I would not know how to increase it from there.
Any further suggestion I will greatly appreciate. Eric

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Disable System Restore and reboot, on all drives.
Go to file explorer, view and select show hidden and system files & folders.
Find - System Volume Information - folder on the root of all drives involved and delete what's in them.
Enable System Restore and reboot, 1% usually does it for me, 2% if you're feeling generous. 12% is too much for large HDDs.

ericgericg

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

In following the above and coming to select "show hidden and system files", I got the warning "deleting or editing can make your computer inoperative". Ignoring that and proceeding on to "C:\System Volume" information I got a popup saying that it is "not accessible" and that "Access is Denied".
Being then stuck with that, I re-enabled and rebooted as instructed.
After that I found a restore point from a few minutes ago with the many previous restore points gone. After waiting a 1/2 hr for good measure I hit "Restore" and - lo and behold- it worked! Halleluja!

It seems that by disabling Restore, rebooting and enabling Restore again, all the old restore points in the inaccessible files had been deleted and the file cleared. The system worked again! I now have the memory set to 6%, I will leave it there as I am not pressed for space.

I like to thank you for the instructions and, although I could in the end not follow them through completely, they got me on the right track and enabled me to solve my problem.
Greetings from Raleigh, NC. ericgericg