Front USB issues with GA-P55-UD3R rev. 1.0 and Antec Two Hundred case

timby_65

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I recently purchased a Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS650BC. I plugged this into the front left USB port on my Antec Two Hundred case and had the following issues:
1. Even thought it realized that a USB cable was plugged in right away, it took a couple of minutes before the reader charging screen showed up.
2. When the charging screen finally showed up, it kept alternating back and forth between charing and not charging. After a few minutes this stabilized and it showed "charging" consistently.
3. Took A few minutes for the reader drives to become visible in Windows.
4. Copying files from Calibre usually has issues. When copying, some actions would work, while others would freeze. Sometimes all file copy operations would work, but this was rare.

I tried the top right USB port and had the same results. I then tried a couple of the ports on the back of the machine and all issues were resolved. Tried the front ones again and reproduced the issue.

I was already wondering if I had front USB issues before, as sometimes copying to a USB would appear to freeze (similar to issue 4 above). I think this confirms that there's an issue with the front USB ports. Off topic, but I also find it annoying that the front USB ports are upside down. I can't see the lights on some of my USB keys, as they're facing down.

I'm not sure if this issue is case related and / or motherboard related. Is this a common issue with front USB ports? If so, is there a way I can resolve this issue? I hope so, as the back ports are a bit inaccessible.

Here are my specs:
Antec Two Hundred case
GA-P55-UD3R rev. 1.0 BIOS F8
Intel® Core i7-860 Processor
G.SKILL F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM (2Gx2)
ATI Radeon HD 4350
Corsair VX550W

timby_65

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009

I forgot about that utility. Seems like it's worth a shot. I keep my case pretty clean, but it doesn't hurt to give it another cleaning. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you know if they help.

Astra_Naut

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Hey All. I just resolved an issue with a clients PC relating to the front USB slots on a Gigabyte P55-UD3 system.

Symptons: USB devices connected to front USB slots would frequently fail to be recognised, and if they were, they'd crash when you tried to browse the contents with explorer. Note: USB devices work fine using rear USB slots.

Action: Did a @BIOS update to ver F9 - no fix. Noticed a 320w pwer supply was inside the case - for a an i5 dual core with 8GB RAM, GeForce 210 512MB, 1TB SATA HDD, DVD RW and lots of usb devices and sticks attached. I swapped out the 320w for a 450w and the problem is now resolved.

It would seem the front USB slots were not getting enough power. Hope that helps one of you.

Astra_Naut