Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Do i have pci?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 22, 2010 2:13:41 PM

Im sorry for all the questions but does my laptop have a pci slot? i was in device manager and came across
a pci bridge or something. does this mean i have a pci slot or no. also pci express root port. please help
because i would like a gfx card for laptop and im not sure if i have pci slot. i woukd take the thing apart
but im not familier with laptops. its my first one.
specs also...
manufacture-toshiba
model-KSWAA
chipset- intel gl40
southbridge-intel-82801im (ich9-m)
specs of my main board are there if that helps. thats what cpu-z tells
me anyway.
thanks in advance.

More about : pci

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b V Motherboard
November 22, 2010 4:09:38 PM

OK, I Googled Toshiba KSWAA (which by the way is the motherboard).

But I was able to find out that your laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L500 Series. Other than that, can not tell what specific model it is as you omitted that information along with processor and screen size.

What I was able to come up with though was this:

Looking for Answers about L500?
Directly from the Toshiba website. There is about 41 pages of Questions & Answers on the L500 series.
a b V Motherboard
November 22, 2010 4:35:47 PM

Graphic cards/chipsets on laptops cannot be upgraded to the extent I know.. In other words, you cannot put a graphics card in your laptop..
Related resources

Best solution

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b V Motherboard
November 22, 2010 7:34:18 PM

Actually, whether one can upgrade the video card in their laptop all depends on whether or not the Video is integrated into the motherboard or added on as a daughter board, meaning you would need the User/Service Manual for your laptop so you could check to see exactly what is what.

The hard thing would be locating a supplier for a replacement video card and you could only go with what Video cards were available for that particular Model Series at the time of production as the video cards may or may not be custom manufactured for the laptops in question.

From what I can tell, it does look like your laptop's video card should be about 6" or so from the left side of your laptop, about even with the front edge of the cooling fan. But the part I'm not sure of is if it's mounted on the top or the bottom of the motherboard. It's roughly a square card with what appears to be a miniPCI connector which would fit into a miniPCI edge connector on the motherboard so the board would lay flat.

Here is an example of an HD4570 for a Toshiba Satellite L500 Series Laptop

----------------------------------------

My first laptop was a Dell Inspiron 8100 and I had upgraded the Video card myself.
November 28, 2010 11:39:14 AM

Quote:
Actually, whether one can upgrade the video card in their laptop all depends on whether or not the Video is integrated into the motherboard or added on as a daughter board, meaning you would need the User/Service Manual for your laptop so you could check to see exactly what is what.

The hard thing would be locating a supplier for a replacement video card and you could only go with what Video cards were available for that particular Model Series at the time of production as the video cards may or may not be custom manufactured for the laptops in question.

From what I can tell, it does look like your laptop's video card should be about 6" or so from the left side of your laptop, about even with the front edge of the cooling fan. But the part I'm not sure of is if it's mounted on the top or the bottom of the motherboard. It's roughly a square card with what appears to be a miniPCI connector which would fit into a miniPCI edge connector on the motherboard so the board would lay flat.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBTACYdBGw8XwPw3G2VyIETsetaZaXDFNhDo1yJvSDdVP4SCioBg

Here is an example of an HD4570 for a Toshiba Satellite L500 Series Laptop

----------------------------------------

My first laptop was a Dell Inspiron 8100 and I had upgraded the Video card myself.

ok thank you.

its just that i was doin some research and i have pci bus or something and apparently i can hook up media devices such as sound cards, graphics cards and stuff like that so i was just curious. im bumbed out but ohwell.
and strait to you as the best answer. thanks
November 28, 2010 11:57:33 AM

Quote:
OK, I Googled Toshiba KSWAA (which by the way is the motherboard).

But I was able to find out that your laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L500 Series. Other than that, can not tell what specific model it is as you omitted that information along with processor and screen size.

What I was able to come up with though was this:

Looking for Answers about L500?
Directly from the Toshiba website. There is about 41 pages of Questions & Answers on the L500 series.

im really dumb i know but if you could tell me how to put a image here i will show a picture of cpu z for you.
and its also a celeron dual core t3100 prosessor. if this helps my screen resolution is 1366 x 768 if that gives you an idea on my screen resolution.
and really thank you for your time helping a noob like me lmfao.
thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b V Motherboard
November 28, 2010 1:47:09 PM

If you mean a CPU-Z Banner such as I have in my signature which you can click on, just run CPU-Z then click on the Validate Button. Another dialog box will pop up, go to the Manual Mode section and click on the Save Validation File Button which is step #1.

Step #2 click on the link under the button to submit the file. Here you will get an ID, be sure to save it for future reference.

Step #3 enter your ID and click OK.

You will be provided with code that can be used in your signature so you will have your own banner.

------------------------------------------------

As for installing other devices in your laptop, I honestly don't think you would be able to do that as the miniPCI slot is there just for your video card. If you remove the video card, then you won't have any video.

But as for sound card and other stuff, they do make such devices which connect directly to USB 2.0, Firewire, PCMCIA and ExpressCard

Creative which is better known as Sound Blaster makes an external X-Fi sound card for laptops.
You can even find external video cards now which are of gaming quality.
November 28, 2010 3:10:15 PM

Quote:
If you mean a CPU-Z Banner such as I have in my signature which you can click on, just run CPU-Z then click on the Validate Button. Another dialog box will pop up, go to the Manual Mode section and click on the Save Validation File Button which is step #1.

Step #2 click on the link under the button to submit the file. Here you will get an ID, be sure to save it for future reference.

Step #3 enter your ID and click OK.

You will be provided with code that can be used in your signature so you will have your own banner.

------------------------------------------------

As for installing other devices in your laptop, I honestly don't think you would be able to do that as the miniPCI slot is there just for your video card. If you remove the video card, then you won't have any video.

But as for sound card and other stuff, they do make such devices which connect directly to USB 2.0, Firewire, PCMCIA and ExpressCard

Creative which is better known as Sound Blaster makes an external X-Fi sound card for laptops.
You can even find external video cards now which are of gaming quality.

thanks.
but iv seen the vidock review of the external gpu but i dont have a xpress card slot so i dont know if that would work. is there a usb type gpu or does usb not have enough power to power something like that. i also mean if i buy a gpu and replace it with the one thats currently in there will it work. haha if that makes more sense. lol
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b V Motherboard
November 28, 2010 9:18:12 PM

:lol:  no problem :) 

You're doing your best to learn what you're doing from the sounds of things and it sounds like this is your first time actually getting into the heart of things.

Even though I took both electronics and computers in school years ago, I learned pretty much the same way. Hands on by getting a hold of systems and just doing what I could with them one step at a time including tearing them apart and rebuilding them and upgrading them.

Started the hands on bit back in the early 90's which by the way was about a decade after I got out of school. :) 

----------------------------

Now as for replacing the GPU, I'd first recommend finding out what you can about what Toshiba was offering at the time for the L500 Series in the way of various video cards. This way you will have a good idea of what will work in your laptop.

Maybe there might be some answers in that link I provided earlier at the beginning of the thread or possibly in the Toshiba forums (if there is such a thing). For all I know, seeing as it is a modular miniPCI card, it's possible that there might even be some newer video cards that might work with your model. I honestly don't know.

But you will need to be careful that you don't get ripped off by someone selling you a supposedly good card that is D.O.A.

Ebay would be a good place to find parts for your laptop unless you can find an online dealer who has parts for your laptop.

---------------------------------------

On a side note.....

I've been helping my daughter by trying to see how many words can be found using the letters: A - E - E - I - H - M - R - S - T - T - V

So far, I've already found 220 words in English.
November 29, 2010 3:24:35 PM

Quote:
:lol:  no problem :) 

You're doing your best to learn what you're doing from the sounds of things and it sounds like this is your first time actually getting into the heart of things.

Even though I took both electronics and computers in school years ago, I learned pretty much the same way. Hands on by getting a hold of systems and just doing what I could with them one step at a time including tearing them apart and rebuilding them and upgrading them.

Started the hands on bit back in the early 90's which by the way was about a decade after I got out of school. :) 

----------------------------

Now as for replacing the GPU, I'd first recommend finding out what you can about what Toshiba was offering at the time for the L500 Series in the way of various video cards. This way you will have a good idea of what will work in your laptop.

Maybe there might be some answers in that link I provided earlier at the beginning of the thread or possibly in the Toshiba forums (if there is such a thing). For all I know, seeing as it is a modular miniPCI card, it's possible that there might even be some newer video cards that might work with your model. I honestly don't know.

But you will need to be careful that you don't get ripped off by someone selling you a supposedly good card that is D.O.A.

Ebay would be a good place to find parts for your laptop unless you can find an online dealer who has parts for your laptop.

---------------------------------------

On a side note.....

I've been helping my daughter by trying to see how many words can be found using the letters: A - E - E - I - H - M - R - S - T - T - V

So far, I've already found 220 words in English.

ok well il have a look thanks.

if you need a hand...
seat, him, he, meet, meat, me. lol im no good at that stuff.
thanks heaps. so your positive its a miniPCI? lol why computers gota be so technical.
thanks again
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2010 4:00:10 PM

Unless it's a miniPCI Express slot of which I honestly don't know if they make such a slot for laptops, then it would have to be a miniPCI slot.

You'll need to look up the specifications of your specific laptop.

I'm still running a Dell Inspiron 6400/1505 with an 80GB Intel X25 G-2 running Windows 7 Ultimate and have yet to purchase a new lappy. :) 

Spend most of my time on my Desktop system.
November 30, 2010 1:14:43 AM

Quote:
Unless it's a miniPCI Express slot of which I honestly don't know if they make such a slot for laptops, then it would have to be a miniPCI slot.

I'm still running a Dell Inspiron 6400/1505 with an 80GB Intel X25 G-2 running Windows 7 Ultimate and have yet to purchase a new lappy. :) 

i have been searching heaps and there seems to be quite a lot of different versions of the l500.
and i havent seen much about my specific model so i dont know. i tried to take it apart to stop all this searching time on the net but its a f*ker to get apart. excuse my language but yeah. but thanks for all your help.
cheers
November 30, 2010 2:36:49 AM

Quote:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_7mhYmqH5R74/TPR9pQGF9mI/AAAAAAAAA...

i dont know if this how you put an image on here but you could google if you want to. it looks like a gpu.
its from the top of my laptop like under the keyboard but looking down at it.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b V Motherboard
November 30, 2010 12:23:06 PM

To add an image you can manually do so by using these tags

1. [img]<address of image>[/img]
  3. example
  5. [img]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_7mhYmqH5R74/TPR9pQGF9mI/AAAAAAAAABA/6nwoGv822vA/s128/Pic_1130_014.jpg[/img]

Here is your example outside of the code box.

Here is a page which you may find useful for finding out how to do different things in your posts. Although not all things may be possible as it depends on what the Forum administrators allow to be used on the particular forum in question.

Useful Page -------> BB Code

Case in point, many forums do not allow html, php, video or anything else which may allow someone to post malicious code whether it be intentional or unintentional. Unintentional would be by way of infected code such as a webpage, video or what not.

It's hard to say, but if that is part of the motherboard itself and not a daughter board above the motherboard, then I'd have to say that it looks like the back side of the CPU socket.

Take four coins and arrange them in a square. The top left is the cooling fan in your laptop, thereby representing the cutout in the motherboard. The bottom right which is adjacent to the fan but just one row down is approximately where the GPU should be.

Now this is going from the images I have seen of the motherboard when I googled what I could find. As for the pennies, I was not trying to represent the entire laptop, just the region of the fan and the GPU.

------------------------------------------

Doesn't your laptop have any codes on the bottom such as a Service Tag or any other type of code that could be used to identify the laptop?

Or are the codes all worn or scratched off?

There should be some sort of code that could be used in the Toshiba Support section that would allow you access to your exact model specification, drivers, manuals, etc.....

Dell, eMachines, Gateway, Acer, HP, IBM and a whole bunch of others do this sort of thing if only to make providing support that much easier.
November 30, 2010 12:58:23 PM

Best answer selected by wonder44.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b V Motherboard
November 30, 2010 1:17:02 PM

Good Luck with everything! :) 
!