Sign in with
Your question

Scary Harddrive Issue

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
April 19, 2012 6:32:27 AM

Alright so, I was playing WoW for about 30 minutes, and I recently got this computer back from being repaired:

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-FX6860-UR20P-Gaming-Deskt...

The motherboard in it died after ~3 months of owning the system, so they put a new one in, anyway, I was playing WoW like stated above, and I had a crash, looked memory related, the log didn't save for some reason, so I exit wow, and I just have a blank desktop, no start bar or anything.

I couldn't even alt control delete it gave me some error telling me to press ESC to restart my pc, so I did, and I got a disc read error, so I restart again, and this time I got a message similar to this:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082) Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
This product is covered by one or more of the following patents: US5,307,459, US5,434,872, US5,732,094, US6, 570,084, US6, 115,776 and US6, 327, 625

Realtek PCI Express Fast Ethernet Controller Series v1.15b (090312)
Client MAC ADDR: 00 23 8B EC 65 E1
GUID: 6075FF39-1EDA-DD11-8D3B-00230BEC65E1
PXE-E53: No Boot Filename received
PXE-m0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
Operating System not found.

So I restart, go into the boot menu, and my harddrive isn't listed, so now it's panic mode, my harddrive is a Hitachi HDS723015BLA642, 1.5 tb. So I turned the pc off, unscrewed one screw in the hard drive, let the pc sit for a bit, then screwed the screw back in, and turned on the pc, and viola, the harddrive was back in the boot menu, I recently did a defrag, and restarted before this whole mess happened, and now the PC works, what are your thoughts guys? Thanks.

-a worried pc owner.

Edit: I only took out the front screw, because I don't have the proper screwdriver to get the others out so I can make sure the cables are properly connected, but after rescrewing the one I took out in, it works again.

More about : scary harddrive issue

April 19, 2012 7:34:26 AM

Check to see if any of the cables are torn and need replacing. Also run a s.m.a.r.t. scan on the hard drive.
m
l
Anonymous
April 19, 2012 8:25:27 AM

I'll be running a smart scan as soon as I can get things working, the issue happened again, everything froze, then the previous stuff I mentioned happened, I got a proper screwdriver, took out 2 screws in the sides, and can't get to the other one with the screwdriver without pretty much taking the whole case apart, which will void my warranty.

So do you guys think I should keep trying? Or send it back to gateway for the second time in ~5 months? Thanks again

BTW do you guys think a hdd cable is loose or what?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 19, 2012 9:14:16 AM

Check if the HDD cables are securely in place. If you can get it working then immediately download and run an error test with HDtune or whatever hitachi uses...

if it just wont work after a few reboots there is not much we can do besides send it back... since its a prebuilt and all.
m
l
Anonymous
April 19, 2012 9:18:20 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, when it does work, it works for like 30 minutes, but I'm going to mess with the cables tomorrow when my more hardware savvy friends come over, we just have to get the harddrive out without taking off the side of the case that has the warranty stickers on it... gonna be a long day.
m
l
a b G Storage
April 19, 2012 9:54:14 AM

Let's say you manage to take it out. Then what?
m
l
Anonymous
April 19, 2012 6:53:15 PM

If I manage to take it out, I'm going to reconnect the cables to it, and hopefully that fixes it, going to try in a couple hours, will update once I do
m
l
!