Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Did I make a rookie mistake with this motherboard???

Last response: in Overclocking
January 29, 2013 5:18:57 PM

I have a machine that I use for gaming, so I swapped out my AMD Phenom II 840 for a Intel Core i5 3570K. So far so good. To go along with my great new processor I chose a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H motherboard. I have since then read that the B75 chipset is not good for overclocking, and also that the whole point of getting an unlocked processor is to overclock. A few points to consider.

1) I have never overclocked a anything in my life.
2) I work in computer/software support so general experience and working knowledge is good.
3) Everything is already installed so I don't even know if I can take it back. (I may be stuck with it)
4) This is definitely a budget build.

So far I love the board. It has some great features. I looked in the manual and found some pretty advanced looking features for adjusting clock speeds and voltages. (Don't worry I do not intend to do any over clocking until I have a much better understanding of how to do it.)

Some additional information.
I am using a stock CPU cooler. I would consider an after market cooler if I decide to overclock.

My other equipment.
4GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) Micro Center Brand Memory
XFX HD 6850
Cooler Master extreme power plus 500w power supply

From the manual (sorry about the formatting)

Whether the system will work stably with the overclock/overvoltage settings you made is dependent
on your overall system configurations. Incorrectly doing overclock/overvoltage may result in damage
to CPU, chipset, or memory and reduce the useful life of these components. This page is for advanced
users only and we recommend you not to alter the default settings to prevent system instability or
other unexpected results. (Inadequately altering the settings may result in system's failure to boot. If
this occurs, clear the CMOS values and reset the board to default values.)
This section provides information on the BIOS version, CPU base clock, CPU frequency, memory frequency,
total memory size , CPU temperature, Vcore, and memory voltage.
On the main menu of the BIOS Setup program, press arrow keys to move among the items and press <Enter>
to accept or enter a sub-menu. Or you can use your mouse to select the item you want.
•• When the system is not stable as usual, select the Load Optimized Defaults item to set your
system to its defaults.
•• The BIOS Setup menus described in this chapter are for reference only and may differ by BIOS
version.
`` M.I.T. Current Status
This screen provides information on CPU/memory frequencies/parameters.
`` Advanced Frequency Settings
&& CPU/PCIe Base Clock
Allows you to manually set the CPU base clock and PCIe bus frequency in 0.01 MHz increments. (Default: Auto)
Important: It is highly recommended that the CPU frequency be set in accordance with the CPU specifications.
&& Processor Graphics Clock
Allows you to set the onboard graphics clock. The adjustable range is from 400 MHz to 1600 MHz. (Default: Auto)
&& CPU Clock Ratio
Allows you to alter the clock ratio for the installed CPU. The adjustable range is dependent on the CPU being
installed.
&& CPU Frequency
Displays the current operating CPU frequency.
`` Advanced CPU Core Features
&& CPU Clock Ratio, CPU Frequency
The settings above are synchronous to those under the same items on the Advanced Frequency Settings
menu.

Best solution

February 2, 2013 10:01:33 PM

You got a B75 chipset mobo with an unlocked Intel i5: 3570K.

You could've gotten the i5 3570 (non-K) if you weren't going to overclock anyways. It is also cheaper that way. And you could've chosen for a mobo with H77 chipset, which is a bit more advanced.

If you are still in the 'try-it-out' period and you can bring it back, then take the stuff out, swap the i5 with the 3570 (NON K) and maybe get a mobo with H77, but if you feel ok with this one stay with it. (Although I do recommend mobo with H77).

Conclusion: I think you did make a 'rookie' mistake, but stuff happen! :p 
February 2, 2013 10:55:16 PM

Cooler Master extreme power plus 500w power supply ............i would pick up a corsair or seasonic psu
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2013 1:06:45 AM

Well I think I am going to stick with it.
First of all I paid $189 for it and Newegg has the locked version for $200, so if I wanted to get the locked version it would cost me $10 more. Also I got $40 off the mobo because it was a bundle deal.
I will just pretend like it is the locked version. Besides, I don't think that CPU would be limiting me on gaming (especially with my current video card).
As far as the PSU, I know. This is my infinite upgrade computer. So far the old Cooler Master has been rock solid. I know at some point I am going to have to upgrade it if I am going to get a card that requires two connectors.
As far as rookie mistakes go I could have done much worse.

Anyway the computer was blazing fast earlier when my wife was playing solitaire. Got to keep everyone happy, you know what i mean? :lol: 
Thanks for the feedback guys.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2013 6:03:39 PM

Quote:
with a 6850 having the ability to oc your 3570k is the lest of your concerns.

You make it sound like he stuck a 5450 in there and is about to try playing Skyrim. The 6850 is a great card still unless you're a hardcore gamer who really wants to play the newest games without compromises. If he came in saying "hey- just built a gaming monster!" and had a 6850, he could possibly deserve some grief. As an already claimed ongoing project, I don't think it's fair to come in here and critique his B+ tier component that he already mentioned will be upgraded while ignoring the actual question he asked.

The only think I would redirect attention to- and it's a matter of not damaging the rest of the system, not an issue of low FPS- is the power supply. CM units are notorious for noise/ripple in their voltage delivery, beyond not actually being capable of their claimed output most of the time. Neither of those issues would come to the surface in a computer running stock clocks and not pushing the power output ceiling, but they could with the changes in those dynamics. It's extremely plausible for a poor power supply to damage pretty much anything inside the system that uses electricity if you start overclocking and it's not up to the task. Before you dish out a dime more on anything, I'd say focus on the only component that has a real impact on preserving all the others..... :hello: 
m
l
February 5, 2013 6:15:16 PM

Thanks for the input. I didn't know about the problems with the CM PSU's. That will definitely be something that I will be looking into replacing next. You are right. I am not playing the latest games. I have a backlog that I frankly don't have the time to catch up with. I usually catch games when Steam puts them on sale for virtually nothing. It's not what I would call cutting edge but it's fun none the less. I know I am running out of daylight with this card, but for now it seems to be working fine.
m
l
February 5, 2013 6:17:32 PM

Best answer selected by Dr_NO.
m
l
!