Sign in with
Your question

Love Hate relationship w/ 5770

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 6, 2010 9:57:16 PM

Gotta be honest. I'm actually an Nvidia fanboi. However, after reading some reviews I decided to buy an xfx radeon hd 5770. All is well and dandy till I got those "grey lines of death." I've known about this problem but I figured most of those posts were months old and ati would've already fixed those problems... or so I thought.

Don't get me wrong. I really like the card. Great performance for the price plus it runs really cool and does not use that much power. I've gone through 2-3 days without experiencing any difficulty. But every time those grey lines appears, I just want to pull my hair out. This never happened to my old 9500 gt.

I just started learning about computer hardwares. I wanted to know if driver issues on vid cards are common and how long does it usually take before they fix it? (or will they ever fix it) I'd like a vid card that would last me for a couple of years (i got this because of dx11) without being too pricey (being only a part-timer).

I have a week left before I can RMA this card. I really like the card but hate the crashing part. I can't decide whether or not to return it.

I would really like to get a 275 gtx but I heard it gets hot plus I can't really afford a new psu (currently have 550w). If I did decide to replace my 5770 w/ a 275, will it last me a couple of years?

More about : love hate relationship 5770

a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 10:02:17 PM

Have you tried the latest drivers?
RMA the card & they'll send you another.
m
l
March 6, 2010 10:06:07 PM

I got the 10.2 one. Checked again this morning and I still have the updated one.

Did I just get a bad card? I just assumed it was a driver issue since a number of people are having similar problems.
m
l
Related resources
March 6, 2010 10:06:16 PM

+1 for RMA, 5770 is a good card :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 10:10:33 PM

My bro's Saphire VaporX 5770 is fine...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 10:12:00 PM

the grey line driver issue was solved almost straight away. sounds like a hardware lockup by a bad card.

so yeah, RMA it.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 10:12:51 PM

Pailin said:
My bro's Saphire VaporX 5770 is fine...

Now now, no anecdotal evidence :non:  , I'm not allowed to so neither are you.
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 10:14:16 PM

I have personally found that with the memory underclocked by 50, and the core overclocked by 50, I have no vertical lines ever, on my 5870's and it performs better than stock.

You might want to try it and see if it helps (the overclocked core isn't needed, it's just it works nicely).
m
l
March 6, 2010 10:19:02 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Now now, no anecdotal evidence :non:  , I'm not allowed to so neither are you.

you really missed the point didnt you?

the gsod issue affects a tiny number of people, and those it affects can send the card back for RMA. Also, GSOD isnt killing cards, they still work most of the time, its just an annoying bug.

what you tried to do was pretend there was nothing wrong with the 196.75 drivers just because you havent had any issues. what did you say, you used rivatuner for fan control? how many nVidia users use rivatuner do you think???

your stupid fanboyism probably led to people losing their cards. ATI fanboys aren't making people lose their graphics cards. the fact that you cant even grasp this simple point proves you arent fit to be a moderator.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 10:19:09 PM

bystander said:
I have personally found that with the memory underclocked by 50, and the core overclocked by 50, I have no vertical lines ever, on my 5870's and it performs better than stock.

You might want to try it and see if it helps (the overclocked core isn't needed, it's just it works nicely).

According to JofaMang you can't say that kind of thing.

JofaMang said:
My Camry doesn't have any accelerator issues. I call BS on that.
My Xbox hasn't had RRoD. I call BS on that.
My phat PS3 had no problems on March 1st. I call BS on that.

Really, anecdotal evidence is useless, and can only degrade the credibility of the person trying to pass it off as some sort of proof.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 10:22:22 PM

nfail said:

the gsod issue affects a tiny number of people, and those it affects can send the card back for RMA. Also, GSOD isnt killing cards, they still work most of the time, its just an annoying bug.

what you tried to do was pretend there was nothing wrong with the 196.75 drivers just because you havent had any issues. what did you say, you used rivatuner for fan control? how many nVidia users use rivatuner do you think???

your stupid fanboyism probably led to people losing their cards. ATI fanboys aren't making people lose their graphics cards. the fact that you cant even grasp this simple point proves you arent fit to be a moderator.

saying that an overheat issue can be solved by manually adjusting fan speeds is a valid point.

saying a problem doesn't exist just because you don't experience it, is not.

m
l
March 6, 2010 10:23:26 PM

just do the decent thing and quit your moderator position mousemonkey, you've lost the little credibility you had.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 10:24:34 PM

nfail said:

You missed the point buddy, I said that I was not having a problem and asked what the problem was to which all you can come back with is that it's the driver, it's the driver, it's the driver and no, I don't us Rivatuner to control my fans which if you had read any of my posts you would have seen.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 10:26:24 PM

nfail said:
just do the decent thing and quit your moderator position mousemonkey, you've lost the little credibility you had.

I me being a mod annoys you then that is all the reason for me to continue.
m
l
March 6, 2010 10:34:02 PM

it doesnt annoy me, i just think its sad that somebody like you has the power to close or delete threads that can help save peoples money. you should know better, and petty vendettas should be put aside for common sense.
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 10:36:05 PM

Mousemonkey said:
According to JofaMang you can't say that kind of thing.

They guy has a problem. I have a solution that might work. I'm passing on that info. If it works great, if not, not so great.

I'm not being some sort of fanboy telling anyone there is no problem. Please go somewhere else if you are going to act like this.
m
l
March 6, 2010 10:37:08 PM

you used real people's problems as a way to get back at ati fanboys, even though you knew it was dangerous and could cost them dearly.

the ati fanboys who didnt accept the gsod problems weren't doing that. they were just being fanboys, but you are making comments that can cost people dearly Mousemonkey. all because of some petty vendetta. you ARE NOT FIT TO BE A MOD.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 10:37:57 PM

In which case you should try and work out what it is about the drivers that's killing cards or causing the GSOD's rather than misinterpreting what people say.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 10:41:34 PM

bystander said:
They guy has a problem. I have a solution that might work. I'm passing on that info. If it works great, if not, not so great.

I'm not being some sort of fanboy telling anyone there is no problem. Please go somewhere else if you are going to act like this.

And I too have a solution to the problem with the Nvidia drivers that was worked out very quickly between myself and some other users, which we have tried to share with those who wish to read.
m
l
March 6, 2010 10:43:22 PM

i cant believe the MOD you are arguing with is being so patient with you.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 10:44:23 PM

nfail said:
you used real people's problems as a way to get back at ati fanboys, even though you knew it was dangerous and could cost them dearly.

the ati fanboys who didnt accept the gsod problems weren't doing that. they were just being fanboys, but you are making comments that can cost people dearly Mousemonkey. all because of some petty vendetta. you ARE NOT FIT TO BE A MOD.

People were having the problem before I became aware of it, I don't see how I cost anyone anything. If you have proof to the contrary then I'd like to see it.
m
l
March 6, 2010 10:52:59 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will probably RMA the card and if the problem persists on the new card. I'll probably switch back to nvidia. But I really really want the 5770.

I also read somewhere that this happens more often on xfx versions of the card. I kinda don't want to believe this since I really like xfx and their warranty.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 10:57:27 PM

clamor said:
Thanks for the replies. I will probably RMA the card and if the problem persists on the new card. I'll probably switch back to nvidia. But I really really want the 5770.

I also read somewhere that this happens more often on xfx versions of the card. I kinda don't want to believe this since I really like xfx and their warranty.

There was a post a couple of days ago,where the poster said that they had been on the phone to ATi tech support and was told to go to the XFX site to download a new BIOS for their card, if you are comfortable with that sort of thing you might want to give it a go.
m
l
March 6, 2010 10:59:41 PM

maybe that is why they have the warranty
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 11:01:48 PM

Mousemonkey said:
And I too have a solution to the problem with the Nvidia drivers that was worked out very quickly between myself and some other users, which we have tried to share with those who wish to read.

Did you see me arguing with you about that?

I may find it tacky that you like to pop up in threads like this to further some adgenda about ATi, but I'm not one of those that are even arguing with you. If you want to fight with nFail, go for it. I find his posts to be annoying too, but I have not been stalking your posts.

I use both Nvidia and ATi. I've liked both. I generally go with the best cards at the time, or at least the best value at the time I purchase a card. Most the time I've chosen Nvidia and was satisfied, but I have also chosen ATi.

Right now, I have two ATi cards and two Nviida cards. One system has 5870s CF with a dedicated physX card (8800gts) and another that has a 9800GT.

I believe the 5000 series is a good series of cards. I believed the 8800 was a great card as well as several Geforce's before that. If I am to give a recommendation now, I would normally give a 5000 series card the nod but you will rarely find a post where I do, as I find there are a lot of zealous fans already doing that. If a person wants a physX card, I will either recommend using their old physX card as a dedicated card with a new 5000 or a Geforce card.

If they ask the value of DX11 vs PhysX, I would favor Dx11, as it's going to be a standard, physX is limited to one company.

There you know where I stand, you should have no problems with my opinions, as I do state them as opinion.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 11:20:11 PM

bystander said:
Did you see me arguing with you about that?

I may find it tacky that you like to pop up in threads like this to further some adgenda about ATi, but I'm not one of those that are even arguing with you. If you want to fight with nFail, go for it. I find his posts to be annoying too, but I have not been stalking your posts.

I use both Nvidia and ATi. I've liked both. I generally go with the best cards at the time, or at least the best value at the time I purchase a card. Most the time I've chosen Nvidia and was satisfied, but I have also chosen ATi.

Right now, I have two ATi cards and two Nviida cards. One system has 5870s CF with a dedicated physX card (8800gts) and another that has a 9800GT.

I believe the 5000 series is a good series of cards. I believed the 8800 was a great card as well as several Geforce's before that. If I am to give a recommendation now, I would normally give a 5000 series card the nod but you will rarely find a post where I do, as I find there are a lot of zealous fans already doing that. If a person wants a physX card, I will either recommend using their old physX card as a dedicated card with a new 5000 or a Geforce card.

If they ask the value of DX11 vs PhysX, I would favor Dx11, as it's going to be a standard, physX is limited to one company.

There you know where I stand, you should have no problems with my opinions, as I do state them as opinion.

I apologise if you took my comment as a personal slight, it wasn't. However you mentioned that the GSOD issue went away when you underclocked your card which is not something everyone would do or has tried, I have also seen posts where people have used a utility to increase the voltage of their cards which they have said also cures the problem, I myself have my fans powered from the mobo not the cards (in the case of my 8800's at least) and have not had a problem. As this is a tech site should we not be looking for the reasons and solutions to problems rather than just going on crusades.
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 11:23:38 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I apologise if you took my comment as a personal slight, it wasn't. However you mentioned that the GSOD issue went away when you underclocked your card which is not something everyone would do or has tried, I have also seen posts where people have used a utility to increase the voltage of their cards which they have said also cures the problem, I myself have my fans powered from the mobo not the cards (in the case of my 8800's at least) and have not had a problem. As this is a tech site should we not be looking for the reasons and solutions to problems rather than just going on crusades.

m
l
March 6, 2010 11:24:39 PM

Yeah that's why you shut down my first thread, in fact the very first thread on this forum that pointed out the nvidia driver issues.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...

which btw, spawned another thread at least asking WHY you did it and i'm sure even more posts questioning your motivations.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282977-15-thread-cl...

that one ended up with a poster of 7500 posts leaving the graphics forum because of your arrogance mousemonkey!

just accept you arent up to the task and let somebody else who isnt hated and can be an objective moderator of this forum take over.
m
l
March 6, 2010 11:29:20 PM

i tire of argueing....... bleh.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 11:29:42 PM

nfail said:
Yeah that's why you shut down my first thread, in fact the very first thread on this forum that pointed out the nvidia driver issues.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...

which btw, spawned another thread at least asking WHY you did it and i'm sure even more posts questioning your motivations.

just accept you arent up to the task and let somebody else who isnt hated and can be an objective moderator of this forum take over.

Your user name and avatar suggest to me that you a troll and that is the context in which your first post and every subsequent post has been and will continue to be taken.
m
l
March 6, 2010 11:33:13 PM

crappy argument from a crappy mod. I picked my name because i lost my graphics card due to this driver, and it was your rubbish that made me pick a anti-nvidia avatar. you are so messed up you are turning good nvidia fans against you and the company.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 11:37:54 PM

nfail said:
crappy argument from a crappy mod. I picked my name because i lost my graphics card due to this driver, and it was your rubbish that made me pick a anti-nvidia avatar. you are so messed up you are turning good nvidia fans against you and the company.

not my business, but lol.

OP RMA~ the card. If it happens once a day? thats to much.
m
l
March 6, 2010 11:38:30 PM

Mousemonkey said:
There was a post a couple of days ago,where the poster said that they had been on the phone to ATi tech support and was told to go to the XFX site to download a new BIOS for their card, if you are comfortable with that sort of thing you might want to give it a go.

I browsed on the process but it might be too complicated/risky for someone like me.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 11:40:32 PM

When I first started to point out to folk that there was an ongoing issue with ATi cards the response was always "I don't have a problem" so excuse me for pointing it out as it had been going on for a couple of months already but this issue with the Nvidia drivers came to light yesterday and has been acted on immediately by Nvidia. Highlighting an issue that is ongoing as per OP is not the same, as is not the same as the anti Nvidia crusade being mounted.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 11:43:34 PM

nfail said:

Yeah right, that's so believable and the unicorn sitting next to me agrees. :sarcastic: 
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 11:49:09 PM

clamor said:
I browsed on the process but it might be too complicated/risky for someone like me.

It's not for the faint hearted, if you get it wrong you will brick the card which is why I don't tend to recommend it as a solution.
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 11:53:26 PM

Mousemonkey said:
When I first started to point out to folk that there was an ongoing issue with ATi cards the response was always "I don't have a problem" so excuse me for pointing it out as it had been going on for a couple of months already but this issue with the Nvidia drivers came to light yesterday and has been acted on immediately by Nvidia. Highlighting an issue that is ongoing as per OP is not the same, as is not the same as the anti Nvidia crusade being mounted.

This thread had no fighting until you started it. If you do want to air out your issues with certain people, do you think you could just start a thread for that purpose?

You may or may not be a fanboy, but I imagine a lot of people who don't know you from the past, will likely peg you as one.

For the past few months, you've been pretty good about not getting into petty arguements like this. You did seem to be an Nvidia fan, but you never crossed the line of pettiness. I'm betting you'd like to go back in time to avoid this one if one could. (I've had posts of that catagory. It can be hard to let go of an argument).
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 11:58:30 PM

Nah, I'm fine with the status quo. ;) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 1:33:56 AM

Must I be the peacekeeper?
There has been 39 posts in this thread including OP's and excluding this one.

26 posts contain arguments.
26/39 = 67% of this thread is arguing.

The longest post streak is 3, done by mousemonkey.
The biggest poster is mousemonkey at 14 posts, 36% of the entire thread.

I am not here to condemn anyone, however this fighting has to stop.
Mousemonkey, I am most disappointed at you; as a mod it is your job to be what the entire community looks up to.

m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 1:48:47 AM

sabot00 said:

Mousemonkey, I am most disappointed at you; as a mod it is your job to be what the entire community looks up to.

If exposing trolls and fanboys disappoints you then you are in for an awful lot of them in the future, this thread presented an opportunity which I took and the troll came out from under the bridge.
m
l
March 7, 2010 2:10:43 AM

sabot00 said:

Why can't mods argue? Mods are nothing but human as well.

I don't see anything wrong for mods to join debate as long as they don't abuse their authority by banning peoples who argue with them.
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 2:27:49 AM

andy5174 said:

I don't see anything wrong for mods to join debate as long as they don't abuse their authority by banning peoples who argue with them.

There is nothing wrong with mods arguing, but I thought it was bad form to bring some dispute or grudge to this thread, when nothing in it deserved it. He didn't even pick on people who he had been fighting with from other threads.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 2:45:15 AM

andy5174 said:

This is an OP thread, not a discussion thread like the stickied Fermi one.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 6:55:28 AM

Mousemonkey said:

Some closure on this would be nice.
So the situation as seen:

I am sure we all appreciate a warning given about a driver issue with the 5XXX cards- I know do as was about to buy a 5850 or 5870 (ordered an Asus 5850 in the end for my B'day in a few days ^^ and ordered my Bro's 5770 too since those comments)

People's:
"I don't have a problem"
"My bro's Saphire VaporX 5770 is fine..."
are as important as the warnings to help gain a perspective on the situation.

From what I have seen very few people actually have any GSOD problems, even from before the driver fix. From what I read in various forums, people with problems amounted to Much much less than 1% of 5XXX owners.

You put it to someone something roughly like a short while back (not going to trawl through loads of old threads to find it to quote – but the gist of it is true):

"With these GSOD issues you shouldn't be recommending ATi 5XXX series cards to people, how will you live with it if the card they buy doesn't work?"

That is kinda going too far to say really as a mod - whose opinion gains instant respect to passers by and in a forum as prominent as this one, when as you yourself put it:

Quote:
When I first started to point out to folk that there was an ongoing issue with ATi cards the response was always "I don't have a problem"

So for you to then be closing threads warning of a Serious driver issue with the 196.75 NVidia driver (-- about the 196.75 Tomshardware posted a front page news article later pointing out NVidia had pulled this driver --) is going somewhat out of line

your:
"My 9500GT and 8800GT's are running fine on the 196.75 drivers so I'm calling BS on that. "
is a fair comment and opinion - but on its own, to say the news was wrong because your own cards had no issue is not so wise bearing in mind the ATi GSOD issue that affects so few (proportionally to the number sold).

JofaMang:
"

Really, anecdotal evidence is useless, and can only degrade the credibility of the person trying to pass it off as some sort of proof.
"

JofaMang's comment was completely valid in this context of pointing out your one (2 if you count both your NVidia cards) off anecdotal evidence was not worthy of calling the driver warning fake.

The "My bro's Saphire VaporX 5770 is fine..." type comments are not claiming to be the complete answer to a situation – but are entered to help contribute to the truth of others growing understanding of the situation

For you to then quote JofaMang (as above) and say:
MM
"I wasn't trying to prove anything, other than letting the troll poster have their five minutes on the soap box but now I've had enough. "

and then close the thread - is not the kind of behaviour expected of a mod in a prominent forum like this.

I am sure you love this forum and want to stop threads devolving into flaming messes - and you do an admirable job most of the time and your dedication is very much appreciated.

But sadly it seems you are stepping over a line and abusing your position here to a small degree accidently maybe - we all have our own character of who we are thankfully :) 

Your:
"Now now, no anecdotal evidence :non:  , I'm not allowed to so neither are you."
politely amused me as intended I would hope – now that I know it came about from a situation where you closed a thread unfairly, do I honestly have to start to wonder if things are darker than they seem...

I mean really guys – including the other sides to this coin – just all take a nice step back and remember we are here to learn and have fun with each other and help others too ~_^
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 7:20:29 AM

Sorry about that clamor - just seemd the best place to add my 2c to something best put behind everyone.

Back on topic:

not entirely sure what you mean by "I have a week left before I can RMA this card."

but as already suggested, maybe RMA your current card and you should be good with a new one if you can't fix it.

unless someone can help out somehow...

Could try http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ - download link at bottom of page - will show some info about your card - like clock speeds etc

Somewhere I read that the problem was clock speeds dropping too low in desktop mode. - when are you getting your grey lines of death issue?
(sorry - not sure myself what they should be at atm)

m
l
March 7, 2010 7:39:46 AM

Just RMA it.
As far as I know there are to causes for GSODs. One was fixed with the latest drivers but it became clear that there gotta be another cause somewhere because some users were still experiencing GSODs. Might be defective hardware, who knows. RMA!

But I don't have any problems, I call bs on that. :lol: 

m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 8:02:52 AM

Pailin said:
You put it to someone something roughly like a short while back (not going to trawl through loads of old threads to find it to quote – but the gist of it is true):

"With these GSOD issues you shouldn't be recommending ATi 5XXX series cards to people, how will you live with it if the card they buy doesn't work?"

Is this the post that you were referring to?
Mousemonkey said:
I notice you don't mention the GSOD issues, lets hope the OP does not run into them if they do follow your advice. ;) 

If so then what I actually said and what you have quoted me as saying are not quite the same and neither is the gist, although you did get my tongue in cheek jibe at not using anecdotal evidence. The reason that thread was closed was because it was started by a troll for the purposes of trolling and nothing else, other threads about the same subject have also been posted but without the overtones of flamebait.

As for this GSOD issue and how many people have been affected, I have yet to see any verifiable numbers myself so to say it's only 1% or 50% or any percent is a tad misleading, if you go over to Hardocp they have some sort of deal going with ATi where they have been sending cards back that have manifested the problem in an effort to find out what is causing it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 12:10:05 PM

Good Morning

Yes, you found it, though without trying to read false intentions into it, I think the meanings are similar enough and certainly the indicated intention is meant well by you - though more fairly put in your wording ;) 

As for the other thing...

You seemed happy enough all the way through the thread and it was NFails 1st Thread (post?) so is hard to say it was started by a troll - unless you can see his IP and it matches someone else’s. The post was quite a scoop find, enough to get a guest to sign up for an account and get it in there, hopefully...

Until after
JofaMang:
Quote:

You then had one cross posted funny msg with the piccy,

Then saw his ^ msg directed too close at you and abruptly closed the thread...

Quote:
I wasn't trying to prove anything, other than letting the troll poster have their five minutes on the soap box but now I've had enough.

As you said in bold as your opinion of your earlier comment (which claimed as your own 2 cards are ok – then everyone else must be wrong + NVidia -- maybe meant tongue in cheek am sure considering that most ATi users have been ok in relation to the GSOD driver issue, so then responses to it would be expected to possibly of taken it the wrong way one way or another)

JofaMang in what he said in response to your original comment could have been a little less cutting perhaps.
We can all see what you meant and what he meant - I don't think it justified closing the thread over and driving a long term member away from this part of the forum.

Maybe a little easier on that tough love for spring eh :bounce: 
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 12:23:08 PM

Pailin said:
Maybe a little easier on that tough love for spring eh :bounce: 

Good morning to to you as well (although it's a tad later than that in my part of the world) I can make no promises on the tough love bit though. :ange: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 12:34:52 PM

hehe

well, I am sure things will turn out just great

Spring n Summer on its way should light up a few more smiles hopefully

Now.. just gotta finish up my work and make some extra free time so I can get out and enjoy it more with everyone :sol: 

m
l
!