Love Hate relationship w/ 5770

clamor

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Gotta be honest. I'm actually an Nvidia fanboi. However, after reading some reviews I decided to buy an xfx radeon hd 5770. All is well and dandy till I got those "grey lines of death." I've known about this problem but I figured most of those posts were months old and ati would've already fixed those problems... or so I thought.

Don't get me wrong. I really like the card. Great performance for the price plus it runs really cool and does not use that much power. I've gone through 2-3 days without experiencing any difficulty. But every time those grey lines appears, I just want to pull my hair out. This never happened to my old 9500 gt.

I just started learning about computer hardwares. I wanted to know if driver issues on vid cards are common and how long does it usually take before they fix it? (or will they ever fix it) I'd like a vid card that would last me for a couple of years (i got this because of dx11) without being too pricey (being only a part-timer).

I have a week left before I can RMA this card. I really like the card but hate the crashing part. I can't decide whether or not to return it.

I would really like to get a 275 gtx but I heard it gets hot plus I can't really afford a new psu (currently have 550w). If I did decide to replace my 5770 w/ a 275, will it last me a couple of years?

clamor

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I got the 10.2 one. Checked again this morning and I still have the updated one.

Did I just get a bad card? I just assumed it was a driver issue since a number of people are having similar problems.

I have personally found that with the memory underclocked by 50, and the core overclocked by 50, I have no vertical lines ever, on my 5870's and it performs better than stock.

You might want to try it and see if it helps (the overclocked core isn't needed, it's just it works nicely).

nfail

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

you really missed the point didnt you?

the gsod issue affects a tiny number of people, and those it affects can send the card back for RMA. Also, GSOD isnt killing cards, they still work most of the time, its just an annoying bug.

what you tried to do was pretend there was nothing wrong with the 196.75 drivers just because you havent had any issues. what did you say, you used rivatuner for fan control? how many nVidia users use rivatuner do you think???

your stupid fanboyism probably led to people losing their cards. ATI fanboys aren't making people lose their graphics cards. the fact that you cant even grasp this simple point proves you arent fit to be a moderator.

According to JofaMang you can't say that kind of thing.

welshmousepk

Distinguished

saying that an overheat issue can be solved by manually adjusting fan speeds is a valid point.

saying a problem doesn't exist just because you don't experience it, is not.

You missed the point buddy, I said that I was not having a problem and asked what the problem was to which all you can come back with is that it's the driver, it's the driver, it's the driver and no, I don't us Rivatuner to control my fans which if you had read any of my posts you would have seen.

nfail

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
it doesnt annoy me, i just think its sad that somebody like you has the power to close or delete threads that can help save peoples money. you should know better, and petty vendettas should be put aside for common sense.

They guy has a problem. I have a solution that might work. I'm passing on that info. If it works great, if not, not so great.

I'm not being some sort of fanboy telling anyone there is no problem. Please go somewhere else if you are going to act like this.

nfail

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
you used real people's problems as a way to get back at ati fanboys, even though you knew it was dangerous and could cost them dearly.

the ati fanboys who didnt accept the gsod problems weren't doing that. they were just being fanboys, but you are making comments that can cost people dearly Mousemonkey. all because of some petty vendetta. you ARE NOT FIT TO BE A MOD.

And I too have a solution to the problem with the Nvidia drivers that was worked out very quickly between myself and some other users, which we have tried to share with those who wish to read.

People were having the problem before I became aware of it, I don't see how I cost anyone anything. If you have proof to the contrary then I'd like to see it.

clamor

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I will probably RMA the card and if the problem persists on the new card. I'll probably switch back to nvidia. But I really really want the 5770.

I also read somewhere that this happens more often on xfx versions of the card. I kinda don't want to believe this since I really like xfx and their warranty.

There was a post a couple of days ago,where the poster said that they had been on the phone to ATi tech support and was told to go to the XFX site to download a new BIOS for their card, if you are comfortable with that sort of thing you might want to give it a go.

Did you see me arguing with you about that?

I may find it tacky that you like to pop up in threads like this to further some adgenda about ATi, but I'm not one of those that are even arguing with you. If you want to fight with nFail, go for it. I find his posts to be annoying too, but I have not been stalking your posts.

I use both Nvidia and ATi. I've liked both. I generally go with the best cards at the time, or at least the best value at the time I purchase a card. Most the time I've chosen Nvidia and was satisfied, but I have also chosen ATi.

Right now, I have two ATi cards and two Nviida cards. One system has 5870s CF with a dedicated physX card (8800gts) and another that has a 9800GT.

I believe the 5000 series is a good series of cards. I believed the 8800 was a great card as well as several Geforce's before that. If I am to give a recommendation now, I would normally give a 5000 series card the nod but you will rarely find a post where I do, as I find there are a lot of zealous fans already doing that. If a person wants a physX card, I will either recommend using their old physX card as a dedicated card with a new 5000 or a Geforce card.

If they ask the value of DX11 vs PhysX, I would favor Dx11, as it's going to be a standard, physX is limited to one company.

There you know where I stand, you should have no problems with my opinions, as I do state them as opinion.