Sign in with
Your question

Why so many versions of 5770? HELP!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2010 10:47:49 PM

Hi,

I'm building a new system and was planning to use a Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 Vapor-X Video Card. I originally picked this card as it was recommended as a cool/quiet running one by Quiet PC ( http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/vga-cards/sap... ). I googled some reviews and it sounded like the perfect card performance/price wise. Now I've got to the point where I want to order one and I've noticed that there seems to be more than one version of it.

1) Some suppliers are listing this product with SKU 11163-00-20R and others with SKU 1163-05-20R. Can anybody tell me what the difference between these versions is (and which is better)?

2) In fact searching for "radeon HD 5770 1GB" on amazon's website lists many more versions than I was expecting, from companies such as MSI, XFX and Gigabyte:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=radeon+5770...

So it's starting to get a bit confusing. Is it worth considering one of these brands over Sapphire?

Thanks!!!

More about : versions 5770

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 9:33:10 AM

Thanks okini55.

I can see this card is not a "Vapor-x", will it run as cool/quietly one of those types of 5770? Also ...
- is it easy to overclock?
- can be overclocked alot?

Thanks dude!
a c 376 U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 9:41:42 AM

XFX is a decent brand but this guys love for them can safely be ignored. The only real difference between the various HD5770s right now is fan/heatsink and price.
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 9:43:48 AM

Also there are a few 512mb versions which should be avoided unless you use a low resolution monitor. Occasionally the selection of video outputs will differ slightly as well.
a c 376 U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 9:48:32 AM

lol
a c 376 U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 9:55:50 AM

Are you sure the warranty even applies in the UK or are you just ranting?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 2:05:46 PM

Hi all, firstly thanks to all for taking the time to read this thread and post a reply.

So, from what I've read so far, does this mean that both cards perform the same but the XFX brand is better because it has a plastic cover and therefore quieter (I'm not too worried about lifetime guarantee - it's nice to have but not a deal breaker)?

I'm interested in getting whichever will remain cooler when used (ideally passively, with less reliance on a noisy fan). Is this still XFX?

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 2:07:46 PM

p.s. if the Sapphire did end up as the better of the cards, does any body know why there's more than one SKU for this card?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 2:53:35 PM

Hi omgitzfatal, thanks for your recommendation. I'd have to agree with you after reading this article - it's like it was written especially for my question :) 

http://www.elitebastards.com/index.php?option=com_conte...

As for SKU numbers - still don't know what the difference is. I'll go for card marked 1163-05-20R as it sound like a later release.

THANKS ALL!!!
a c 125 U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 2:59:01 PM

Your welcome, enjoy your new card! : )
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 3:08:27 PM

Quote:
an XFX got lifetime warranty!

As fatal has already said, we don't get the full warranty.
Quote:
I'll go for card marked 1163-05-20R as it sound like a later release.

If the ATi cards are anything like their Nvidia line up then that number will denote the clockspeed/settings of the card but it's not a straight forward reading for example if there are more than one flavour of XXX version then you will need to know which one those numbers correspond to so that you get the one that you want.
a c 376 U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 4:42:27 PM

The different models could also have slightly different video outputs.
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 5:00:19 PM

But does it have the " don't disturb me game hanger ! "
lol
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 7, 2010 5:35:08 PM

I have two, one for each ear.
!