Samsung 830 or Intel 330?

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Hey guys,

I'm eagerly awaiting the release of Ivy Bridge. Planning to build a completely new system once it drops. I also want to get into SSDs finally, and after doing a whole load of research I've narrowed it down to 2 main choices:

the New Intel 330:
500/450MB/s
22.5k / 33k IOPS

Samsung 830:
520/320MB/s
80K / 30K IOPS

both have 3 year warranties

Will use for OS / few key programs and some games
platform: IB on Z77, GTX 600 series, 8gb ram
other HDD setup: 2x 640gb WD Black raid 0 + 3x WD 2TB for data

I'm looking at the 120/128GB drives, prices are the same ($160-170). I know Johnny always reccomends the 830, but the new intel certainly looks tastey. The only problem I see with the intel is that it uses the problematic Sandforce controller (I'm not certain about the extent of its problems - esp. with it being an Intel).

I haven't found any reviews comparing them, so if anyone could chip in I'd be very grateful!
Cheers - Bara

Solution
Samsung has done a good job of putting out some quality drives but the new Intel® SSD 330 look amazing to me. They are SATA III drives with good performance and an outstanding price. As far as the Sandforce controller there was a reason why we delayed the release of the Intel SSD 520 for almost a year. It was to make sure that any problems with the Sandforce controller was fixed.

Christain Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Hello,

Well Christian wood is correct. Intel pretty much ironed out any problems with the sandforce controller. So the Intel 330 is a decent choice. However I would still go with the Samsung 830. Haven't heard/read any issues with it, and it's been out for a long time now. Plus it has slightly higher specs than the Intel 330.

If you want another reccomendation - The Crucial M4 is pretty solid. I have the 128GB 7mm version and I haven't had any issues with it - not the fastest SSD out there, but very stable and reliable.

If you want to see some comparisons check this link out:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/533?vs=370

Although the only problem is that it does not contain the Intel 330 bench yet, since it's so new.

Solution
Hi!

You're right! Samsung is one of three brands I recommend. Intel and Crucial are the other two brands.

Both the Intel 520 Series and 330 Series ssd's are brand new. Neither series has an established track record so I recommend waiting a few months before purchasing. It might be a while before Ivy Bridge is available anyway. Intel has been experiencing delays.

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Thanks for all the replies!

I'll probably be able to find some hands on reviews for the 330 by the time Ivy rears its head, I won't be pulling the trigger till then anyway.

The other question that crops up is which spec is more important? The write times (intel) or the IOPS (sammy)? I'd assume the IOPS, as I'm only going to write to the disk a few times when I instal programs, and I won't notice the difference in day-to-day use anyway..

TomBrooklyn

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007

The 330 has been out for a while now, so how does everybody feel about it compared to the Samsung 830 now?

Since the Intel 330 is newer, is it better in some ways?