Sign in with
Your question

Mixing 2 Sets of Ram?

Last response: in Memory
November 22, 2010 9:02:00 PM

Currently i have an i7-930 so i need the triple channel memory, i originally bought the Mushkin Redline Memory 6gb.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Everything is fine with it, although sometimes when i'm running a lot of stuff, it says memory low even though its around 60-70% full. Thats still a safe amount isn't it? Is there a way to up the limit so it stops bringing up that message that i'm running low?

My main question though is, if i buy another set of RAM, does it have to be close to the specs of that ram? What happens if the ram is worse in spec? Thanks!

More about : mixing sets ram

a b } Memory
November 22, 2010 9:24:19 PM

Hmm... are you getting a virtual memory message? I'm curious as the exact wording of the "low memory" message. Anyway, if you got the i7 because you NEED the Triple Channel tech, then I'd venture to say you are using the system for something that is heavily RAM dependant, such as video/photo editing. I would check Resource Monitor to see:

1. what's hogging your RAM; and
2. How much, if any, of your RAM is "hardware reserved"

Edit: Forgot to answer your questions...

Generally, you shouldn't mix RAM, unless the specs are exactly the same (Timing, Frequency, and Voltage); however, if you must mix, then get them as close as possible. Be mindful of RAM QVL for your mobo, and understand that the mixed set of RAM will run at:

1. the lowest of the mixed frequencies
2. the loosest (slower) timings
3. the higher voltage

You gotta be careful when mixing, as the voltage is very important. You don't want to buy/install RAM with a large voltage gap. For example, if your RAM requires 1.5v to operate properly, you don't want to install RAM that needs 1.8v to operate properly. Doing this will likely overvolt your initial set of RAM.

m
l
November 23, 2010 12:37:32 PM

+1 T_T

As an added note, if the specs of the ram are identical (ie: 1600Mhz, CAS 8-8-8-24, 1.65V), you can mix vendors without having any problems
m
l
Related resources
a c 347 } Memory
November 23, 2010 2:49:19 PM

If you Mix-Match you ONLY get the WORST of each!

The 'BEST' solution is to buy another set -> Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model 998805

Example:
1600 6-8-6-24 @ 1.65V
1600 7-8-7-22 @ 1.65V
=================
1600 7-8-7-24 @ 1.65V + Keep you fingers crossed.

To verify a problem, open your Apps that results in the "60-70%" and post the following:
m
l
November 24, 2010 2:48:47 AM

Well i built the computer assuming i could Web cam, watch a video and play a game pretty comfortably. And things have been running fine, except lately on CoD Black Ops and when i run WoW i get that error message. I don't actually know how to upload pictures on the forums, i'm kind of a fourm n00b!

Anyways the error i get says

"Close Programs to prevent information loss

Your computer is low on memory, Save your files and close these programs:
BlackOpsMP.exe"

Hardware Reserved: 9mb
In Use: 4396
Modified : 310
Standby: 891
Free: 538

I had Blackops open, IE, Skype, another IE, Snagit, WMP, etc. etc.

Thanks! I guess i will watch that mushkin redline, this ram is good though right? I read good reviews, but i guess i need more space?
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
November 24, 2010 10:58:09 AM

Something's odd, please post the Resource Monitor 'image' above.
m
l
a b } Memory
November 24, 2010 3:32:01 PM

I suspect your Windows Media Player and Skype are your heavy hitters. Have you ever turned on Windows Media Center? One of the bugs with that thing is the program hogs RAM even when not in use. The reason for this is that the network service stays active. If this sounds like your issue, disable the service.

Start->Run->services.msc->Enter. Look for the wmpnetwk.exe service. Set that bad boy to disabled and see if that helps clear up your RAM usage.

As for Skype, I haven't kept up to date with this software, but I once allowed my sister to install it, as a result to the open port, lots of malware found a nice home on my hard drive. Scan your system to make sure you're not losing RAM (among other things) to spyware.
m
l
November 24, 2010 9:08:18 PM

Here is the picture from last night:

And here is the Error that i recieved:

m
l
November 24, 2010 9:18:00 PM

?? Wait what? Whats ridiculous the memory hogging?
m
l
November 24, 2010 9:28:45 PM

haha well what should i do? should i be just upgrading RAM if i want to continue doing what i'm doing?
m
l
November 24, 2010 9:53:44 PM

yeah something does feel funny, especially since like, i built this computer to be pretty damn good haha.
m
l
a b } Memory
November 24, 2010 10:02:43 PM

Good. Now do a screenshot of Resource Monitor w/o any of those apps running and repost.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
November 24, 2010 10:08:00 PM

Start here -> http://segmentnext.com/2010/11/09/call-of-duty-black-op...

I assume if you don't have ALL that crap running in the background you run okay? You ran out of RAM...poof. In addition or before to those 'fixes' run MSCONFIG -> Diagnostic + Services +Microsoft. How do she run now?
m
l
November 30, 2010 2:09:37 AM

Sorry guys!! Thanksgiving break has been long, but i'm back working on my comp again. Here is the post with nothing running except a few other things.

When i run msconfig you want me to check those or not check those?
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
November 30, 2010 11:31:05 AM

Clearly you've got several background and startup Apps taking up ~1GB+, but otherwise it 'seems' okay. So you've got a couple of options:
1. Prior to Gaming run MSCONFIG select Diagnostic and add Microsoft Services.
2. Purchase another 6GB of the SAME EXACT RAM {Mushkin Redline Memory 6gb} that you have installed and leave all that 'other stuff' running.

Do NOT mix-match RAM.
m
l
November 30, 2010 4:48:46 PM

Alright most likely i will just purchase another 12GB, i can't believe 6 can't cover what i need, as opposed to when i had 3GB before and i was running fine.

What does selecting Diagnostic and addeding Microsoft services do? Won't that add even more memory usage?
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
November 30, 2010 5:06:31 PM

If you have a conflict or memory leaking App that is the Diagnostic method to 'easily' determine the problem. There are a lot of 'inept' programmers and sometimes (2) or more Apps misbehave when running together.

"Diagnostic and addeding Microsoft services do?" -> Frees-up RAM and reduces process and the MS Services allows for online play.
m
l
December 1, 2010 11:28:00 AM

excellent idea
m
l
December 2, 2010 3:29:28 PM

i tried looking for the leaks but i didn't see anything, but i might be inept at finding how to use the diagonistic thing as i've never used it before!
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
December 2, 2010 8:25:03 PM

A 'memory leak' doesn't come out and jump at you, you have to keep an eye on the Resource Manager and look to see if Applications are 'growing' in size while you're Testing {running other Apps}. Conflicts typically show-up in the Event Manager as: Critical or Errors {see image below}; also to make it more complex App 'A' may show-up as Critical or Errors, but App 'B' may be the cause. This is where experience comes into play. I could write a book about this, but generally Googling {App 'A' +conflict or go to the OEM site} to find Known Problems is the best choice.

Remotely and in Posts it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to diagnose.

GOOD TIP -> I mentioned a third reason - "Frees-up RAM and reduces process and the MS Services allows for online play." Looking at this post it seems the biggest problem is lack of available memory when you're playing a Game. As soon as the free memory runs out the Game crashes.

m
l
!