Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Recover NTFS Partition on RAW Drive

Last response: in Storage
Share
April 19, 2012 4:31:29 PM

Hello,

Recently my seagate freeagent GO 500gb drive malfunctioned somehow and now I can't access it. Having tried many things over the past few days and trying it on different machines, both internally and via USB, I just discovered that the partition has been deleted and the drive is now RAW. For some reason windows 7 machines very very rarely detect the drive, but windows xp seems to do so and keep it detected.

The files are still on the drive. I've scanned it with Recuva and all the files are still there. Since the partition has been deleted, if I use software such as Easeus Partition Recovery to recover the entire partition, will all the data be restored to? And also will recovering the partition cause any data loss, since it is being written to the drive?
a c 383 G Storage
April 19, 2012 5:04:01 PM

Anytime partition changes are made, you risk losing data which is why you should always backup first when possible.

Try running easeus partition recovery and see what it finds. If the partition information looks correct then let it make the changes. If the software lets you make a backup of the current partition table, do this first.
a b G Storage
May 8, 2012 3:44:35 AM

CoreyRS said:
Hello,

Recently my seagate freeagent GO 500gb drive malfunctioned somehow and now I can't access it. Having tried many things over the past few days and trying it on different machines, both internally and via USB, I just discovered that the partition has been deleted and the drive is now RAW. For some reason windows 7 machines very very rarely detect the drive, but windows xp seems to do so and keep it detected.

The files are still on the drive. I've scanned it with Recuva and all the files are still there. Since the partition has been deleted, if I use software such as Easeus Partition Recovery to recover the entire partition, will all the data be restored to? And also will recovering the partition cause any data loss, since it is being written to the drive?


I think the issue is on the partition table, you'd better fix the partition table first, before use third party recovery software you should notice that, the more times of rewriting to your hard disk the harder it will be recovered.
Related resources
September 19, 2012 8:17:11 AM

quesionboy said:
I think the issue is on the partition table, you'd better fix the partition table first, before use third party recovery software you should notice that, the more times of rewriting to your hard disk the harder it will be recovered.



I have a similar problem
Can you please explain how to fix the partition table?
a c 76 G Storage
May 2, 2013 11:38:10 AM

Quote:
...For some reason windows 7 machines very very rarely detect the drive, but windows xp seems to do so and keep it detected.

Often enough this is an easy fix.
Note: No matter what DO NOT format the drive.

Go to Disk Manager, Right click at the long bar, where is stated RAW
Select Option "Change Drive Letter an Path"; Select "Add" function to assign a driver letter
Once you assign a drive letter, you should be able to acces the drive
June 12, 2013 11:32:56 AM

FireWire2 said:
Quote:
...For some reason windows 7 machines very very rarely detect the drive, but windows xp seems to do so and keep it detected.

Often enough this is an easy fix.
Note: No matter what DO NOT format the drive.

Go to Disk Manager, Right click at the long bar, where is stated RAW
Select Option "Change Drive Letter an Path"; Select "Add" function to assign a driver letter
Once you assign a drive letter, you should be able to acces the drive


FireWire2 is correct. I have an external storage device with 7TB of data on it, showing up as RAW. I just assigned it a drive letter, and all the data is again accessible. Thanks FireWire2!
a c 76 G Storage
June 12, 2013 4:39:13 PM

I'm glad that help... BTW this does apply to USB drive too
June 15, 2013 6:55:30 AM

I'm having a similar problem and EASUS PR finds my deleted partition but the proceed button is greyed out and I cannot continue.

I also tried using ACRONIS, but the program wouldn't even open unless I unplugged my hard drive.

Any ideas?

Edit: JK I didn't realize that was a progress bar at the bottom because it was moving so slow.
August 7, 2013 6:07:15 AM

mykl_74 said:
FireWire2 said:
Quote:
...For some reason windows 7 machines very very rarely detect the drive, but windows xp seems to do so and keep it detected.

Often enough this is an easy fix.
Note: No matter what DO NOT format the drive.

Go to Disk Manager, Right click at the long bar, where is stated RAW
Select Option "Change Drive Letter an Path"; Select "Add" function to assign a driver letter
Once you assign a drive letter, you should be able to acces the drive


FireWire2 is correct. I have an external storage device with 7TB of data on it, showing up as RAW. I just assigned it a drive letter, and all the data is again accessible. Thanks FireWire2!


Sorry guys, but when trying to assign a new letter, the option is not available. Its there but not clickable. what to do next then? I have a 500GB USB HDD and in risk of losing a lot valuable data in there. thxs
a c 76 G Storage
August 7, 2013 2:53:02 PM

cb3000 said:
mykl_74 said:
FireWire2 said:
Quote:
...For some reason windows 7 machines very very rarely detect the drive, but windows xp seems to do so and keep it detected.

Often enough this is an easy fix.
Note: No matter what DO NOT format the drive.

Go to Disk Manager, Right click at the long bar, where is stated RAW
Select Option "Change Drive Letter an Path"; Select "Add" function to assign a driver letter
Once you assign a drive letter, you should be able to acces the drive


FireWire2 is correct. I have an external storage device with 7TB of data on it, showing up as RAW. I just assigned it a drive letter, and all the data is again accessible. Thanks FireWire2!


Sorry guys, but when trying to assign a new letter, the option is not available. Its there but not clickable. what to do next then? I have a 500GB USB HDD and in risk of losing a lot valuable data in there. thxs


It shows up in DM, then you should able to assign the drive letter
There much more than what you said...
Does the drive show as offline?
Does the drive show as RAW?
Does the drive show as Unavailable?

A capture image would be good


August 12, 2014 11:06:51 PM

FireWire2 said:
cb3000 said:
mykl_74 said:
FireWire2 said:
Quote:
...For some reason windows 7 machines very very rarely detect the drive, but windows xp seems to do so and keep it detected.

Often enough this is an easy fix.
Note: No matter what DO NOT format the drive.

Go to Disk Manager, Right click at the long bar, where is stated RAW
Select Option "Change Drive Letter an Path"; Select "Add" function to assign a driver letter
Once you assign a drive letter, you should be able to acces the drive


FireWire2 is correct. I have an external storage device with 7TB of data on it, showing up as RAW. I just assigned it a drive letter, and all the data is again accessible. Thanks FireWire2!


Sorry guys, but when trying to assign a new letter, the option is not available. Its there but not clickable. what to do next then? I have a 500GB USB HDD and in risk of losing a lot valuable data in there. thxs


It shows up in DM, then you should able to assign the drive letter
There much more than what you said...
Does the drive show as offline?
Does the drive show as RAW?
Does the drive show as Unavailable?

A capture image would be good




I have the same problem, my partitions shows unallocated, please advise how to fix this and restore partition table.
a c 76 G Storage
August 21, 2014 11:30:52 AM

If you have an unallocated HDD, time to look for a recovery tools like R-Stutio or other data recovery utiltity. The above procedure only for partition shows as "RAW"
!