Sign in with
Your question

New Mouse Necessary?

Last response: in Components
May 31, 2010 7:05:45 AM

Hi, as you might know, there are a lot of deals due to the memorial day weekend sale. This is my Logitech Optical Mouse. First of all do you think I need to upgrade the mouse?

If I had to choose, I would choose the Logitech G500 which is on sale on Amazon for $54.99 (grand total) plus a $20 mail in rebate . I use my computer for a lot of school work/productivity (documents, powerpoint, the high school stuff), multimedia/entertainment (online forums, websites, youtube videos, my movies, pictures, downloaded vids, etc.), and gaming, now that summer is around the corner (Halo series and Crysis series).

The only thing is I am unsure whether to buy the Logitech G500 or not as I have $80 right now (I'm not very willing to spend my accumulated amount of money on 1 mouse) and I still need a graphics card (I will probably get a XFX Radeon HD 5850 by default depending on my final semester grades) and I plan to buy some video games
([rebuy]Halo (and possibly buy Halo 2 Vista), and I'm weighing Crysis/C.W./Crysis 2 this winter).

I am open to suggestions too, but the mouse should preferably be corded, comfortable, durable, not cumbersome, and be versatile in a lot of areas.

More about : mouse

May 31, 2010 8:10:26 AM

I wouldn't spent the money on a mouse if it's not necessary and if you only have $80 available. I'm using a $20 or something Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo, and I play games fine and everything.
m
l
May 31, 2010 9:03:12 AM

In my opinion spending $ 50 on a gaming mouse is a worthwhile investment.
Night and day difference if you ask me compared to a regular optical just make sure you add a decent pad.
Saves wear and tear on the feet.
A regular steelseries works fine for $10 or less.
I use a Logitech mx-518 on one rig and a Razer DeathAdder 3500dpi on another.
Both are excellent mice and can be found for under $50.
From all accounts the G-500 would perform similiarly it's definitely in the same price and performance category.
My mx-518 is 5+ years old and performs the same as the day i bought it other then the feet had to be replaced(wore out from use on desk/no pad).
I prefer to run my mice without the manufactuerers software just the microsoft drivers.
Less problems and same functionality.
A mouse is a very personal choice however you can't go wrong with a Logitech.
m
l
Related resources
May 31, 2010 9:27:58 AM

I'd second the recommendation on the logitech MX518.. I too had one from past 5 years.. Recently had problems with the left click (i game a lot and play mostly fps).. Have bought the same again.. Its good looking, precise and comfortable and the pricing makes it even more desirable..
m
l
May 31, 2010 3:44:12 PM

The Logitech MX 518 is slightly higher priced than the Logitech G500 if you take into account the Mail in rebate though. I don't know what to do now. This seems like a really good deal albeit the fact that it's a luxury.
m
l
May 31, 2010 6:39:43 PM

If both are at the same pricing then you rather get the G500.. Its from the same stable, is newer tech and looks good too..
m
l
May 31, 2010 8:45:49 PM

Bleh, I told my parents and they disapproved of my decision and told me I should save up for something else in the future since money won't be easily earned anymore (I earned that $80 by tutoring). Well, thanks you guys, if they had approved of my decision, I would have most definitely chosen the G500.
m
l
!