Can't Overclock Second 5770

NGen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I have two Radeon HD 5770's in CrossFire. They run games fine, and I get the performance boost that I expect. However, since my second card is starved for air (using a mid-tower and the positioning of the PCI-E slots on my motherboard isn't very good), it runs fairly hot. So I'm doing two things, first trying to increase the fan speed on the GPU and second making a custom intake/outtake fan rig on the ventilation holes in the back of my case.

The latter is irrelevant, but when I go to increase fan speed on my second 5770 nothing happens. Not to mention that everything is shown as 0. My clock speed, memory speed, and temperature are all at 0 on my second card. Overclocking my first card runs fine, however.

When selecting the card, I'm using the drop-down menu with the label "Select the GPU to configure:". I don't use the top-most drop-down menu since my second card doesn't appear there. I don't know why, but that's just the way it is.

It might be that I'm using cards from two different manufacturers. I got one from Sapphire on Newegg (w00t) and the other from Best Buy (I get to pay an extra $40 to avoid waiting). They both have the same GPU fan if it means anything, the Sapphire one just has the logo on it.

I haven't tried to switch the slots that the cards are in, but I will if someone suggests trying it. I have my first card in my PCI-E 1 slot, and my second card in my PCI-E 4 slot. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have them both in adjacent spots, but I don't think that should matter.

Screenshots of ATI Overdrive:

ccc1.png

ccc2m.png

notty22

Distinguished
Your going to want to tell the forum your hardware specs.
What motherboard
You want to be using the fastest two pci-e slots.
Thats usually your first two.

Hopefully your not running/forced to run in pci-4 slot, thats less than ideal.

NGen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I'm using an ASUS M4A79T Deluxe (yes, I memorized it!):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131363

I use one of the PCI slots for a wireless card since my computer is upstairs and the router and modem are downstairs. If I used the first 2 PCI-E slots, I couldn't use my wireless card since the 5770 covers 2 slots.

My PSU is a Thermaltake Toughpower XT 750W, and if I remember correctly I'm running ~50-100W short of its capacity.

EDIT: Wait, I'm running in PCI-E 3. Not 4. It wouldn't fit in 4.

notty22

Distinguished
There are others here that are running crossfire that can help you better. But first thought? I would uninstall/reboot- install ccc again if you have not. A install with crossfire vs adding one might show the menu options missing ?

NGen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I'm not entirely sure on the rules for double-posting, but I think that having 1 day (going to sleep and waking up) in between posts would be fine.

Re-installing the drivers didn't help. Neither did moving my PCI-E 1 card to my PCI-E 2 slot so that the 2 cards are in adjacent slots. I can't get my second card out since it appears to be stuck, so I'll just live with my second card heating up and see if I can get that fan setup on the back soon.