Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First Time Gaming System Build

Last response: in Systems
March 21, 2010 8:33:25 PM

I will be attempting to build my first computer and I'm looking to build a midrange gaming rig.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I am looking to begin purchasing parts within the next 3-4 weeks and have begun researching only recently. I would like to keep my budget in the $1100-$1300 range

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: 1. Gaming: particularly World of Warcraft raiding 2. Internet usage 3. Other, like word processing, etc.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I only know about tigerdirect and newegg. I do not have much of a preference. So I'm willing to be flexible to find the best deal.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: I am looking for an Intel i5 processor. I am pretty much flexible with everything else. I will list the specs I am looking at at the end, but I'm always willing to look at other options since i'm new to this.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe. I'm a little wary of overclocking since I would like to have my computer last for as long as possible. I would like to keep my options open for SLI or Crossfire.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200) Not sure. I was looking at getting something between 20-22

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm looking for an affordable mid-range gaming computer. Something that can handle gaming without major issues, but not break the bank. I'm also looking for what will be compatible with my choices that I have found.

Ideas for current setup:
CPU: Intel Core i5-750
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
RAM: OCZ Platinum
Videocard: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB
or XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB
Hard Drive: Western Digtal Caviar Black 500GB
Optical Drive: LG DVD/RW Drive
Cooling: CoolerMaster V8
PSU: Corsair TX750W
Case: Antec 300

I am open to suggestions. I am also looking for a wireless network adapter and a nice 20-22" monitor.
I would like a motherboard that has Crossfire compatibility. I am going with a Core i5. Any suggestions would be helpful. My main concern is that everything that I have chosen is compatible. I am new to this and want to make sure that the motherboard, videocard, memory, PSU, etc. will work with each other without problems. Thank you for the help.

March 21, 2010 9:04:29 PM

shenkty5 said:
I will be attempting to build my first computer and I'm looking to build a midrange gaming rig.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I am looking to begin purchasing parts within the next 3-4 weeks and have begun researching only recently. I would like to keep my budget in the $1100-$1300 range

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: 1. Gaming: particularly World of Warcraft raiding 2. Internet usage 3. Other, like word processing, etc.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I only know about tigerdirect and newegg. I do not have much of a preference. So I'm willing to be flexible to find the best deal.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: I am looking for an Intel i5 processor. I am pretty much flexible with everything else. I will list the specs I am looking at at the end, but I'm always willing to look at other options since i'm new to this.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe. I'm a little wary of overclocking since I would like to have my computer last for as long as possible. I would like to keep my options open for SLI or Crossfire.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200) Not sure. I was looking at getting something between 20-22

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm looking for an affordable mid-range gaming computer. Something that can handle gaming without major issues, but not break the bank. I'm also looking for what will be compatible with my choices that I have found.

Ideas for current setup:

I am open to suggestions. I am also looking for a wireless network adapter and a nice 20-22" monitor.
I would like a motherboard that has Crossfire compatibility. I am going with a Core i5. Any suggestions would be helpful. My main concern is that everything that I have chosen is compatible. I am new to this and want to make sure that the motherboard, videocard, memory, PSU, etc. will work with each other without problems. Thank you for the help.

I would go with:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $214.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $69.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $99.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $88.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $54.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $89.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $19.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $29.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $179.99

The only thing I didn't add was the HARDDRIVE CAUSE THATS YOUR CHOICE OF WHAT SIZE OR RPM!

m
l
March 21, 2010 9:57:37 PM

Erm, I don't mean to be rude, but this is a pretty poor selection of parts.
You're basing a lot of this around an Nvidia theme. Been out of the loop long? ATI is dominating the market across the board.
An HD 5770 provides the same performance as a 260, at $40-50 less, while also supporting DX11, Eyefinity, and HD audio bitstreaming, none of which the 260 does.
While ASUS does offer great monitors, that particular model is rather overpriced.
That Dynatron heatsink is probably no better that the stock; kind of a waste of money, really. The CM Hyper 212+ is the same price and infinitely superior.
XFX is only good for graphics cards; their mobos are outclassed by many other manufacturers'. I'm guessing this choice was esp based on color. Also, an AM2+/AM2 nForce board? Really?? PSU is the same. XFX isn't known for their power supplies. Go with Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, or OCZ.
DDR2 RAM shouldn't even be considered. DDR3 isn't much more expensive (and at one point it was cheaper).
The X2 6000+ is also outdated. Go with an AII, PII, i5, or i7.
Case is, again, obviously based on color and not worth the money. The CM690 II Advanced is a great case though.

shenkty5, X58 boards are for LGA 1366 processors. i5s aren't compatible with them. For your budget and purposes, I suggest getting the i5-750, along with a P55 board.
The OCZ RAM link directs to the mobo. Regardless, I'd avoid OCZ RAM unless the particular set has strong ratings. OCZ is known to have fickle RAM.
Take the 5770 over the 4870. More features + better efficiency + same price = better value. I do not recommend getting a reference-based 5770 though. Consider this one.
WD has been falling behind. Go with a Samsung Spinpoint F3 or Seagate 7200.12 500GB. Both are based on a 500GB/platter design (so 1 platter each), so they run faster and more efficiently. Surprisingly, they cost $15 less, too.
Don't get an IDE burner. SATA drives, like the one iholbrookv2 recommended, are the standard.
Don't spend more on a HSF than on your case. I suggest the CM690II and Lancool K62 cases, and the CM Hyper 212+ heatsink.

Be sure to do some research on your own before purchasing.
m
l
Related resources
March 21, 2010 10:22:39 PM

Is the monitor included in the price?
If not, then:
m
l
March 21, 2010 10:34:43 PM

blackjellognomes said:
Erm, I don't mean to be rude, but this is a pretty poor selection of parts.
You're basing a lot of this around an Nvidia theme. Been out of the loop long? ATI is dominating the market across the board.
An HD 5770 provides the same performance as a 260, at $40-50 less, while also supporting DX11, Eyefinity, and HD audio bitstreaming, none of which the 260 does.
While ASUS does offer great monitors, that particular model is rather overpriced.
That Dynatron heatsink is probably no better that the stock; kind of a waste of money, really. The CM Hyper 212+ is the same price and infinitely superior.
XFX is only good for graphics cards; their mobos are outclassed by many other manufacturers'. I'm guessing this choice was esp based on color. Also, an AM2+/AM2 nForce board? Really?? PSU is the same. XFX isn't known for their power supplies. Go with Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, or OCZ.
DDR2 RAM shouldn't even be considered. DDR3 isn't much more expensive (and at one point it was cheaper).
The X2 6000+ is also outdated. Go with an AII, PII, i5, or i7.
Case is, again, obviously based on color and not worth the money. The CM690 II Advanced is a great case though.

shenkty5, X58 boards are for LGA 1366 processors. i5s aren't compatible with them. For your budget and purposes, I suggest getting the i5-750, along with a P55 board.
The OCZ RAM link directs to the mobo. Regardless, I'd avoid OCZ RAM unless the particular set has strong ratings. OCZ is known to have fickle RAM.
Take the 5770 over the 4870. More features + better efficiency + same price = better value. I do not recommend getting a reference-based 5770 though. Consider this one.
WD has been falling behind. Go with a Samsung Spinpoint F3 or Seagate 7200.12 500GB. Both are based on a 500GB/platter design (so 1 platter each), so they run faster and more efficiently. Surprisingly, they cost $15 less, too.
Don't get an IDE burner. SATA drives, like the one iholbrookv2 recommended, are the standard.
Don't spend more on a HSF than on your case. I suggest the CM690II and Lancool K62 cases, and the CM Hyper 212+ heatsink.

Be sure to do some research on your own before purchasing.

Hey man I look at theme, price, and performance. Just because ATI has the neck this month dosn't and I MEAN DOSN'T mean that their by any means better then NVIDIA!
m
l
March 21, 2010 10:58:37 PM

Thank you for the comments so far. The biggest problem I have found in terms of researching is the amount of information that is out there. It gets overwhelming quickly for a noob like me. As for price... I was thinking in the $1200 range (give or take) for the computer only and was not including monitor costs in that.
m
l
March 21, 2010 11:02:12 PM

To be honest, it looks terrible.
Looking down the list:
260: overpriced, performance is ~ the 5770 at 50-60$ more
You also could get a 4890 for better performance than the 275 at less money than the 260.
Your motherboard is extremely outdated and is incompatible with your CPU... XFX is hardly a leading motherboard manufacturer also.
XFX is not really a brand I would trust for a PSU- corsair or antec are both better along with other brands.
Your ram is DDR2 which is not that much cheaper than DDR3 and is not really upgradeable.
The CPU is really old, and isn’t even compatible with your motherboard.
The case is decent, although why you would go for the nvidia edition is beyond me instead of the cm690 II advanced for 10$ more or a 40$ cheaper cm 690.
The DVD burner is fine.
The CPU heatsink is bad. Go for a hyper 212+ for much better performance at the same price.
The monitor is fine I guess.
And you didn't even fulfill the requirement of using an i5.
EDIT: And this is for "iholbrookv2"
EDITx2: I can try and trim 60$ from my build if you like.
m
l
March 21, 2010 11:06:38 PM

shenkty5 said:

Ideas for current setup:

CPU is good choice. Go for it.
Motherboard - Must be X55 Boards. Here is good review of such boards:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-motherboar...
VideoCard - Go for the HD5770.
Monitor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
March 21, 2010 11:15:52 PM

duk3 said:
Looking down the list:
You also could get a 4890 for better performance than the 275 at less money than the 260.
Your motherboard is extremely outdated and is incompatible with your CPU... XFX is hardly a leading motherboard manufacturer also.
XFX is not really a brand I would trust for a PSU- corsair or antec are both better along with other brands.
Your ram is DDR2 which is not that much cheaper than DDR3 and is not really upgradeable.
The case is decent, although why you would go for the nvidia edition is beyond me instead of the cm690 II advanced for 10$ more or a 40$ cheaper cm 690.
The DVD burner is fine.
The CPU heatsink is bad. Go for a hyper 212+ for much better performance at the same price.

lol... It's okay that was one of my first build. My current setup is nice and under $1,000.00. I will post it on here!
m
l
March 21, 2010 11:54:14 PM

randomkid said:
CPU is good choice. Go for it.
Motherboard - Must be X55 Boards. Here is good review of such boards:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-motherboar...
VideoCard - Go for the HD5770.
Monitor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm assuming you meant P55. It sounds like the P55 board would be adequate. I would like it to be crossfire compatible, just in case I decide to add another GPU later on. Is this Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P able to handle Crossfire? I saw it listed as compatible, but i'm having a difficult time confirming this.
m
l
March 21, 2010 11:54:26 PM

iholbrookv2 said:
Hey man I look at theme, price, and performance. Just because ATI has the neck this month dosn't and I MEAN DOSN'T mean that their by any means better then NVIDIA!

This month? I think you mean the past half year. Even if that doesn't mean that ATI's better than Nvidia, you can't say that Nvidia is a good option atm.

duk3 said:
Looking down the list:
The DVD burner is fine.

Glad you read my post, duk3. /facepalm
But I like the build you posted.
m
l
March 21, 2010 11:56:48 PM

blackjellognomes said:
This month? I think you mean the past half year. Even if that doesn't mean that ATI's better than Nvidia, you can't say that Nvidia is a good option atm.

Glad you read my post, duk3. /facepalm
But I like the build you posted.

ATI FANBOY! FIGURES!
m
l
March 22, 2010 12:04:00 AM

shenkty5 said:
I'm assuming you meant P55. It sounds like the P55 board would be adequate. I would like it to be crossfire compatible, just in case I decide to add another GPU later on. Is this Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P able to handle Crossfire? I saw it listed as compatible, but i'm having a difficult time confirming this.

Crossfire and SLI do not require any special hardware or anything on modern boards beyond that they have 2 (or more) PCIe 2.0 slots. So yes, that Gigabyte board is fine for CF. Just know that, atm, all P55 Gigabyte boards supporting USB 3.0 and SATA III will have those controllers running at "normal mode" (USB 2.0 and SATA II speeds) if you are using the 2nd PCIe 2.0 slot (necessary for CF). If you want to avoid that, you'll have to look at a different board, like this ASUS.
m
l
March 22, 2010 12:08:36 AM

blackjellognomes said:
Crossfire and SLI do not require any special hardware or anything on modern boards beyond that they have 2 (or more) PCIe 2.0 slots. So yes, that Gigabyte board is fine for CF. Just know that, atm, all P55 Gigabyte boards supporting USB 3.0 and SATA III will have those controllers running at "normal mode" (USB 2.0 and SATA II speeds) if you are using the 2nd PCIe 2.0 slot (necessary for CF). If you want to avoid that, you'll have to look at a different board, like this ASUS.

It all depends on your motherboard chipset!
m
l
March 22, 2010 12:14:09 AM

iholbrookv2 said:
ATI FANBOY! FIGURES!

I have three systems running Nvidia GPUs right now, and only one running an ATI GPU. Me, an ATI fanboy? Oh, definitely. :whistle: 

If you go back and look at Tom's Best Graphics Cards for the Money articles, ATI has dominated since the release of its 5xxx series. And real ATI fanboys would probably even argue that the turnover started with ATI's 4xxx series. Have a look around the forums, too. New System Builds, Graphics Cards, anywhere. But see if you can come back and tell me I'm an ATI fanboy then.
m
l
March 22, 2010 12:21:13 AM

blackjellognomes said:
I have three systems running Nvidia GPUs right now, and only one running an ATI GPU. Me, an ATI fanboy? Oh, definitely. :whistle: 

If you go back and look at Tom's Best Graphics Cards for the Money articles, ATI has dominated since the release of its 5xxx series. And real ATI fanboys would probably even argue that the turnover started with ATI's 4xxx series. Have a look around the forums, too. New System Builds, Graphics Cards, anywhere. But see if you can come back and tell me I'm an ATI fanboy then.

I don't need this forum to tell me about alot of hardware stuff, Only little things cause I'm not claiming I know everything. The fact that ATI has a disorder of cards and a lot of people who buy from ATI are souly disappointed for the fact the order of ATI cards has been wrong from the start. The main reason I like NVIDIA is for the fact the series are really easy to read off of like 6-S 7-S 8-S 9-S GTX-s GTS-S.
m
l
March 22, 2010 12:28:53 AM

Lol sorry jello :p 
I read your post I just didn't really realize that I was restating it until I looked back and...
And if the only reason for using nvidia gpus is since the designations make sense, why did the last three generations go 9XXX to 2XX to 4XX?
And why have the last 2 ati generations gone 4XXX to 5XXX?
Tell me that 5 doesn't come after 4, please :p 
m
l
March 22, 2010 12:47:44 AM

shenkty5 said:

Oh yes, I mean P55. Glad you caught that.

Actually if you are really keen about Crossfire and concerned that it may not work well in an Intel Platform, consider getting an AMD Phenom II + 890 motherboard. I think it will generally lower the cost so you can up the videocard to an HD5830.
The advantage of an AMD platform over the Intel 1156 is that Crossfire will work x16 & x16 whereas it will only work x8 &x8 in 1156.
The Phenom is sufficient for any game at the moment.
m
l
March 22, 2010 12:53:22 AM

http://i41.tinypic.com/sdfam8.jpg

I picked the wrong ram but I think you can base your build off of that. It's got a 5850 and an i5. It'll run WoW with no problems whatsoever. Also, you can run ALOT of games at max settings on 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. If you plan on getting a 22" like it says on the first post, that would be a 1680x1050 resolution, get a 5770, as it is good enough for that resolution. But to take advantage of eyefinity, get the 5850 with 1080p.
m
l
March 22, 2010 1:30:57 AM

randomkid said:
Oh yes, I mean P55. Glad you caught that.

Actually if you are really keen about Crossfire and concerned that it may not work well in an Intel Platform, consider getting an AMD Phenom II + 890 motherboard. I think it will generally lower the cost so you can up the videocard to an HD5830.
The advantage of an AMD platform over the Intel 1156 is that Crossfire will work x16 & x16 whereas it will only work x8 &x8 in 1156.
The Phenom is sufficient for any game at the moment.

I suppose that the better question would be whether going for Crossfire is worth it, or if I should go for a better GPU to start out with. I'm beginning to think that Crossfire is not necessary, particularly since I'm only really basing that on possible future needs and not anything I really need right now.
m
l
March 22, 2010 1:32:53 AM

iholbrookv2 said:
I don't need this forum to tell me about alot of hardware stuff, Only little things cause I'm not claiming I know everything. The fact that ATI has a disorder of cards and a lot of people who buy from ATI are souly disappointed for the fact the order of ATI cards has been wrong from the start. The main reason I like NVIDIA is for the fact the series are really easy to read off of like 6-S 7-S 8-S 9-S GTX-s GTS-S.

duk3 said:
I read your post I just didn't really realize that I was restating it until I looked back and...
And if the only reason for using nvidia gpus is since the designations make sense, why did the last three generations go 9XXX to 2XX to 4XX?

Besides that, iholbrookv2, can you explain why the 8800GTX was rebranded as the 9800GTX+? And then a second time as the GTS 250? I wouldn't be too surprised if Nvidia rebadged it yet again as a GTX 3xx card. :pt1cable: 
m
l
March 22, 2010 1:41:15 AM

Good lord I don't think I've ever seen some one suggest as bad of parts as iholbrookv2. He even suggest a bunch of crappy parts to another guy a few minutes ago.

Go do some research first please, then once your sure you know what the best setup's are you're more then welcome to help others out =)
m
l
March 22, 2010 1:41:57 AM

I think the GTX 3XX series is reserved for renaming like that.
The GT 310 is the 1st of its kind, being a simple renaming of the GT 210 :lol: 
m
l

Best solution

March 22, 2010 1:51:20 AM

Alrighty...

March 22, 2010 2:01:50 AM

After looking through some of these posts I've come up with this. The board is definitely something that I'm not sure about, and I suppose I could throw in the RAM and GPU as others that I just don't know about. It seems to me that a rig like this would be able to run pretty fast, particularly with the powerful ram and gpu, though i could wrong.

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4
CPU: i5-750
HSF: CM 212+
RAM: G.Skills DDR3 1600 (4gb)
GPU: Diamond Radeon 5850
HDD: Seagate Barracude 500gb
PSU: Corsair TX750
Case: Antec 900
or CM 690II Advanced
DVD: Samsung DVD/RW
Compound: Arctic Silver 5
m
l
March 22, 2010 2:09:47 AM

Shentkty that build is good except a couple of things.

The mobo / processor I selected is much better. Don't get a micro atx mobo. Mine has USB 3.0 Sata 6gb's, is full atx. OC's better.

That ram is a bit pricey, I would get this instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Other then that it looks great.
m
l
March 22, 2010 2:10:17 AM

shenkty5 said:
After looking through some of these posts I've come up with this. The board is definitely something that I'm not sure about, and I suppose I could throw in the RAM and GPU as others that I just don't know about. It seems to me that a rig like this would be able to run pretty fast, particularly with the powerful ram and gpu, though i could wrong.

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4
CPU: i5-750
HSF: CM 212+
RAM: G.Skills DDR3 1600 (4gb)
GPU: Diamond Radeon 5850
HDD: Seagate Barracude 500gb
PSU: Corsair TX750
Case: Antec 900
or CM 690II Advanced
DVD: Samsung DVD/RW
Compound: Arctic Silver 5

Cheaper RAM, same timings and bus.
Go with the CM690 II. The A900 is narrow (8.1" width), lacks a mobo tray cutout (priceless when installing HSF), and has its 3.5" bays facing the back of the case (rather annoying IMO). The A900 also lacks the CM690 II's beautiful black interior. :D 
m
l
March 22, 2010 2:10:17 AM

whitefang said:
Alrighty...

http://i42.tinypic.com/fay2ra.png

Well, that is certainly an interesting configuration. I like the combo deals as well. I really feel like choosing a motherboard has been the most difficult part in all of this since there are so many different options available out there. It seems that each company has multiple versions of basically the same board (i.e. Asus having multiple P55 boards).
m
l
March 22, 2010 2:17:34 AM

I'd like to add that I really appreciate the help I've received so far.
m
l
March 22, 2010 2:31:54 AM

duk3 said:
Motherboards are pretty simple IMO.
You go down this list
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
And see that as you go down, motherboards go MicroATX-> ATX, 1 pci-e slot-> 2+ pci-e slots and usb 3.0 and sata 6 sort of vary.

What confuses you?

lol, that this is my first time doing this and I had no idea there were so many choices. this is also the first time i've really used newegg.com as well.
m
l
March 22, 2010 2:58:47 AM

Feel free to check out other sites like TigerDirect. If you live in CA, the sales tax will add on to your NewEgg total. Just take the time to look around for the lowest price, and don't think twice about visiting brick & mortar establishments!
m
l
March 22, 2010 3:05:35 AM

True.
Shopping around for the best prices and checking for combo deals can save you some money :D 
EDIT: And if you are anywhere near a microcenter, I think they have a great deal on the i5-750.
m
l
March 22, 2010 3:18:35 AM

blackjellognomes said:
... PSU is the same. XFX isn't known for their power supplies. Go with Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, or OCZ....

duk3 said:

...XFX is not really a brand I would trust for a PSU- corsair or antec are both better along with other brands...

While I would agree with most of what both of you have said, I have to take exception with the above statements.

XFX doesn't have a reputation for PSUs because they just started selling them. However, all of them are high quality Seasonic built units with all Japanese caps and 5 year warranties. The 850w model in particular is one of the elite PSUs on the market and better than any PSU OCZ has ever made(jonnyguru review, HardOCP review). Granted, jonnyguru had to ding the 650w model on principle for having out of spec ripple on the 5v rail when the 12v rail was crossloaded with less than 1.3A but noted that it wouldn't be an issue for the modern 12v based systems we use today. I would still buy one of those over say... the Antec EA-650 or Corsair 650TX since it's performance and features are otherwise similar to the usually more expensive Antec TruePower New TP-650 and Corsair 650HX.
m
l
March 22, 2010 3:52:29 AM

blackjellognomes said:
Besides that, iholbrookv2, can you explain why the 8800GTX was rebranded as the 9800GTX+? And then a second time as the GTS 250? I wouldn't be too surprised if Nvidia rebadged it yet again as a GTX 3xx card. :pt1cable: 

The fact that there is a big difference between the series knowing the fact that nano-meters change and core-die size and clocks all around! The fact when you minimize die size and nano-meter size you are aloud to maximize your dedicated memory! There you go did I answer your question?
m
l
March 22, 2010 4:04:50 AM

logan the huge said:
While I would agree with most of what both of you have said, I have to take exception with the above statements.

XFX doesn't have a reputation for PSUs because they just started selling them. However, all of them are high quality Seasonic built units with all Japanese caps and 5 year warranties. The 850w model in particular is one of the elite PSUs on the market and better than any PSU OCZ has ever made(jonnyguru review, HardOCP review). Granted, jonnyguru had to ding the 650w model on principle for having out of spec ripple on the 5v rail when the 12v rail was crossloaded with less than 1.3A but noted that it wouldn't be an issue for the modern 12v based systems we use today. I would still buy one of those over say... the Antec EA-650 or Corsair 650TX since it's performance and features are otherwise similar to the usually more expensive Antec TruePower New TP-650 and Corsair 650HX.

Wow, I'm impressed. Looks like I haven't been keeping up either.
It actually seems to mirror Corsair's HX series, in pricing, warranty, features, and even efficiency ratings. But between Corsair and XFX PSUs, I would go with Corsair just for the aesthetic value. :kaola: 
m
l
March 22, 2010 4:15:51 AM

duk3 said:

It went 8800gt 8800gtx 9800gt 9800gtx 9800gtx+ gtx260 gtx295 gts220 gts250 NVIDIA Qaudro! Wow pretty simple and the hardware performance of any of the cards I posted are A-MAZING! Should I post you links of 3D Mark Scores? I mean the only ATI Card I would ever use is the ATI 4870x2 Thats the only ATI card that is worth any amount of money!

m
l
March 22, 2010 4:17:48 AM

shenkty5 said:
I suppose that the better question would be whether going for Crossfire is worth it, or if I should go for a better GPU to start out with. I'm beginning to think that Crossfire is not necessary, particularly since I'm only really basing that on possible future needs and not anything I really need right now.

SLI and Crossfire

Only ever gave me a 5-10 increase in FPS in game! It's worth buying a newer series card all the way around!
m
l
March 22, 2010 4:19:57 AM

whitefang said:
Good lord I don't think I've ever seen some one suggest as bad of parts as iholbrookv2. He even suggest a bunch of crappy parts to another guy a few minutes ago.

Go do some research first please, then once your sure you know what the best setup's are you're more then welcome to help others out =)

WhiteFang I really hope your that spoiled RICH kid that I used to beat up in high school! Cause if your really poor just playing rich on here thats going to be really sad! I know those parts are so crappy only about 500,000 or a 1,000,000 have bought them in the past 6months!
m
l
March 22, 2010 4:24:21 AM

Iholbrookv2 unlike you, I am trying to suggest the best-price/performance for the OP depending on his budget. If he wanted a build priced at what you suggested then he would have asked for it. However he has a budget of $1100-$1300 that means he wants to get the best bang for the buck in that price range.

Btw. 4850 > 9800GTX ($30 cheaper) 4870 > gtx 260 ($50 cheaper) 5870 > Gtx 295 ($130 cheaper)

Yeah, I think ATI is in the leader for price to performance. So I don't know what your going on about. Like I said before "Newcomer" go read up on the new tech before suggesting this crap. Thanks.
m
l
March 22, 2010 4:27:27 AM

whitefang said:
Iholbrookv2 unlike you, I am trying to suggest the best-price/performance for the OP depending on his budget. If he wanted a build priced at what you suggested then he would have asked for it. However he has a budget of $1100-$1300 that means he wants to get the best bang for the buck in that price range.

Btw. 4850 > 9800GTX ($30 cheaper) 4870 > gtx 260 ($50 cheaper) 5870 > Gtx 295 ($130 cheaper)

Yeah, I think ATI is in the leader for price to performance. So I don't know what your going on about. Like I said before "Newcomer" go read up on the new tech before suggesting this crap. Thanks.

Your so ignorant I say that with the least respect towards you! "Sorry"

The 5890 2.5Gig ATI card isn't comparable to the GTX 295!
m
l
March 22, 2010 4:32:30 AM

Sorry Ihool but there's no such thing as a 5890. However the 5870 is comparable.

The GTX 295 and the 5870 go back in forth in benchmark results. However the 5870 is DX11, less power, less heat, better ocing, and it's a single GPU card (GTX 295 two gpus in one)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5870,2422...

Nuff said.
m
l
March 22, 2010 4:34:52 AM

whitefang said:
Sorry Ihool but there's no such thing as a 5890. However the 5870 is comparable.

The GTX 295 and the 5870 go back in forth in benchmark results. However the 5870 is DX11, less power, less heat, better ocing, and it's a single GPU card (GTX 295 two gpus in one)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5870,2422...

Nuff said.

I keep meaning the ATI 5970! Sorry! Fu**!
m
l
March 22, 2010 4:48:25 AM

blackjellognomes said:
Good to know I'm not the only "ATI FANBOY!" here.

Not an ATI fanboy, I just go for whatever is the best bang for your buck =)
m
l
March 22, 2010 5:11:18 AM

blackjellognomes said:
Wow, I'm impressed. Looks like I haven't been keeping up either.
It actually seems to mirror Corsair's HX series, in pricing, warranty, features, and even efficiency ratings. But between Corsair and XFX PSUs, I would go with Corsair just for the aesthetic value. :kaola: 

:lol:  You have a point there. Although, like Oklahoma Wolf(jonnyguru's reviewer), I'm actually starting to warm up a little to the funky radioactive styling.

m
l
March 22, 2010 5:28:21 AM

I sorta like how all the XFX stuff looks myself.
However, does it come in a velvet bag?
m
l
March 22, 2010 5:41:20 AM

whitefang said:
Not an ATI fanboy, I just go for whatever is the best bang for your buck =)

Sorry if that was unclear. I was mocking how iholbrookv2 called me that earlier (hence the quotes...). But you proved my point--ATI offers the best bang for buck atm, and it isn't only fanboys that support ATI.
m
l
!