My FX-8350 lags upon under AND over clocking in a strange way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

industrialdonut

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
So basically when I change the speed of my FX-8350 from anything but stock speed, it causes this really weird lag in games. I have a WONDERFUL H100 CPU cooler so cooling is fine and it's not a problem for me to overclock, but it makes for really strange lag in BF3 upon both under or over clocking like it makes the mini-map blink and flash and spazz out and it basically makes it impossible to play because the fps also drops really low it seems. In Minecraft, it lags in a way where you can't really jump or move in a fluid manner, and like, I don't know how to describe it but if it would help someone to help me fix this I could possibly film it with Fraps. Anyways, any help would be appreciated for I really was wanting to over clock my CPU to like 5 GHz since I just got a new cooler.

Solution
Seriously, replace your motherboard

Leaving it on the default factory settings with Turo mode would overclock it to 4.2. The fact your not stable means either you have a defect processor, or an issue with the motherboard.

I already clearly stated your cpu is not supported on your board.

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
What is the rest of your pc specs?

Might be that you are doing it wrong, your motherboard or CPU can't handle the overclocking.

And why overclock? Your CPU will overclock itself automatically if needed.

industrialdonut

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

Well I have a nice motherboard, Pro 970 that is, and it, I assure you, is perfect for overclocking because when I had my Phenom II x4 I overclocked it a lot with only performance increase and not strange lag like I get now. I have an HD 7870, 8 Gigs of PNY RAM which has served me well, a 500 GB Seagate HDD and I have a 600W Corsair PSU. Oh and an H100 as I previously said. Ok so anyways I must say that even though you ask me "Why overclock?" it's not that I really need to or anything, but I mean it's just that I have an H100 why would I NOT overclock? My CPU won't even reach temps of above 25C when running Prime95 at stock clock so I figure a little overclock would do nothing but give more speed honestly. Also my CPU doesn't overclock itself more than 0.2GHz automatically so like that makes much of a difference. I have overclocked many times before so I'm sure I'm not doing it wrong, and even MORE sure because of the whole problem with underclocking as well. Please help me

valkain

Honorable
May 27, 2012
Your Overclock/Underclocks don't sound stable. There's a lot more to it than simply slappin on a sealed water cooler and expecting phenomenal results. It's already obvious your overclocking isn't being done right. Detailed symptoms in game won't help fix that.

What is your current highest stable Overclock?
Whats your hardware? Provide details on your settings when you successful, and when you failed to overclock.

Settings? Voltage? FSB? Multi? Temperatures? Results in Prime 95? OCCT? etc etc

valkain

Honorable
May 27, 2012

Skimmed through it, doesn't tell us anything useful. The only thing semi useful was Pro 970. Are you referring to the Asrock Pro 970

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Pro/?cat=CPU

As in not having a bios update for piledriver?

valkain

Honorable
May 27, 2012
Not trying to be funny. I have an 8350 and Ive had simiilar lag issues and I know its an unstable overclock.

You've provided no information whatsoever about your settings for anyone to try to figure out what you are doing wrong with your over clock. The only thing that is certain, is your motherboard does not have a bios updated for piledriver. How much it affects your ability to overclock is a massive uncertainty.

industrialdonut

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

Ok so here's the thing, I really only "overclocked" my processor by moving the core multiplayer in AMD Overdrive from the stock setting of 20x to 20.5x and then I ran Prime95 for a while to make sure it was all good... It was. I had however, BEFORE I got my H100, been underclocking it to about 18x (3.4~GHz) because my old CPU Fan was really REALLY cheap and it would crash if I didn't underclock (when playing games like BF3, that is). I am CERTAIN my overclocks and underclocks were stable and my only question is just what is up with this weird lag because the other thing I should probably mention is that in DayZ (Arma 2) it DOES NOT experience the strange lag, only BF3, Minecraft, and the newest Ghost Recon game lag like I had said. I did not change the voltage at all in AMD Overdrive because it won't let me, and I have only been using AMD Overdrive to overclock. I really would appreciate help if any can be given with the information I have now provided.

valkain

Honorable
May 27, 2012
Seriously, replace your motherboard

Leaving it on the default factory settings with Turo mode would overclock it to 4.2. The fact your not stable means either you have a defect processor, or an issue with the motherboard.

I already clearly stated your cpu is not supported on your board.

Solution

valkain

Honorable
May 27, 2012

I linked the CPU Support List for his motherboard which he confirmed was his His motherboard HAS NO BIOS UPDATE for Piledriver hence why I advised to replace his board.

Edit: Hell, I just checked the bios list and the only bios they have is 1.0 dated 9/24! Two months before Piledriver was out and no bios updates available as of 1/31.

In short, the board is running likely because the similarities between Piledriver and Bulldozer. Any differences between those the motherboard probably can't handle without an update.

industrialdonut

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
So guess what everyone, I think I solved the problem. The current motherboard I have as you all know now is the AsRock Pro 970, it only supports my processor to go to speeds of 4000MHz (the stock clock) and so what was happening was TURBO CORE was making the clock speed go slightly, EVER SO SLIGHTLY higher than that limit of 4GHz and thus making my computer, well, crash. WOOHOO I THINK I DESERVE COOKIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.