Routing Hot Air Outside

I've researched and haven't found much saying this has been done before, so here goes...

My desktop computer produces too much heat. Its a Core i5 2500K with 4 HDDs, 2 GTX 465's in SLI, etc, running on a 850W power supply.

In winter its nice, practically heats the entire house....the problem is summer. With the room closed it'll heat the room to 80-85*F even with a/c on a decent amount. That's too hot and it seems I'm stuck with either a higher a/c bill, no privacy, or sweating in the heat.

That's where this idea comes in. As it is, I have my case setup so everything exhausts out the back. It seems like I could just create a type of....plenum, that attaches to the rear of the case (to collect the hot air), then attach dryer ducting or something similar to the plenum, and route that outside through a window? Times when something like this has been mentioned before, people have dismissed it because of case fans not being enough to flow air through the tube, heat/water/condensation could flow back through, etc. With this: http://www.boatersplus.com/attwood-turbo-3000-in-line-bilge-blower.html?utm_source=googlepla&utm_medium=cse&utm_content=EB-6001862&utm_campaign=googlepla&gclid=CKXi7faaj7UCFYGpPAodCVEA-g or 2-3 80mm case fans placed inline in the tube, I think it would flow plenty of air to pull air off the back of the case and flow plenty out the window to keep water/etc out.

I pretty much already know how to construct the tube/ducting, and the window mount, but I was wondering about building the "plenum"? I don't have any good ideas for doing that.
1 answer Last reply
More about routing outside
  1. Yes your idea will work fine. Be prepared for some noise problems. One way to combat the noise issue is to install the blower mid-stream, away from the computer or the room.

Make-up air will be necessary. Plan for this. It may be as simple as a window cracked open.

In the past I have suggested similar blowers (not fans) from Grainger, as you have linked.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Heat Overclocking