Sign in with
Your question

After i build a computer everything turns on, no video etc.... then i plug i 4 p

Last response: in Systems
March 21, 2010 9:15:11 PM

I just completed (?) a new build on a computer that im building for a friend and have built many computers in the past. I have not built one for a couple of years so im a bit rusty....

Here's the scoop, i put everything together, then i plug in the power, keyboard, mouse, etc (USB) and everything turns on, no monitor display... nothing, then i notice that i did not plug in the 4 pin cpu power right by he processor, so i plug that in, and then start the machine.....

Everything turns on for a split second, then NOTHING, even after turning the power on and off, without the 4 pin connector and with, nothing happens at all....

I do not understand what the hell has happened all of my switchs are in the right position, i have reset the CMOS and done everything i was supposed to, but it still will not turn on? Standoffs are properly there and everything....

Plus the place that sold me the mobo is 120 miles away and i live in a little hicktown..

This is a brand new out of the box system
March 21, 2010 9:31:52 PM

I am going to give you THE BEST troubleshooting document known to mankind (no kidding).

If you do EXACTLY and ALL of what it says, it WILL (GUARANTEED) either solve your problem or isolate it to a single component ! ! ! (seriously).

Make NO assumptions (i.e. "I couldn't do anything that stupid") and SKIP NO STEP, however trivial or unlikely it may seem.

This document will absolutely solve/isolate ANY issues ... believe it !

Feel free to ask for clarifications and consultation at any point but, we cannot improve on this doc ... we can only read it to you and interpret, if need be.

Finally, ... TAKE METHODICAL NOTES and list every swap/iteration/test tried.

Be sure you have investigated each point, herein, before moving to the next or checking it off the list.

Here is the Doc ...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

We are here, if you need clarification.

= G'Luck ! =

m
l
March 21, 2010 9:32:59 PM

Try it ouside the case to make sure it isnt a grounding issue. If the PSU wasnt off when you installed the 4 pin you may have shorted it out, or you may have ruined it via static if you didnt handle it right. Or the PSU might be DOA.
m
l
Related resources
March 21, 2010 9:45:39 PM

... just do the "problems" document ... everything else is just noise, at this juncture.
m
l
March 21, 2010 10:39:13 PM

Thanks, i have gone through some of these steps but not all, im hoping that i wont have to go 150 miles just to swap out the board that im presuming is DOA

Ill let you know when im done, it would be such a pity to have a 1000 dollar paperweight/cat toy
m
l
March 21, 2010 10:41:22 PM

As far as the ESD issue, i was using a wrist strap, but then again i am surrounded by curious cats

But you may be right becuase when i did plug in the 4 pin CPU connector, the PSU switch was on, but not plugged in
m
l
March 21, 2010 11:17:45 PM

I have worked in so many labs and IT centers and even warehouses ... I have not seen any obvious static fails in 35 years. Sure ... static kills, but far less often than some folks believe.

Sure ... I have also seen my share of DOA mobos but I have seen FAR more "solved". ... far, FAR more.

I am "tellin' Ya" ... "There are *SO* many stupid little things that can stifle a new build that (seriously) ... something over 90+% of new build "startup-fail" issues can be attributed to assembly oversight. (There are several ways to literally interpret that last statement ... it remains as true, whichever.)

ASSUME ONLY ONE THING ... Assume that doing that list, and being alert and patient, WILL SOLVE ... of course ... there are exceptions ... tho, really VERY few.

= Alvin =

m
l
March 21, 2010 11:50:18 PM

Thanks guys for your advice

But it to no avail, i have done everything in that checklist step by step, and nothing has happened differently...

What i do not understand is everything was half way working (meaning everything was powering on, fans going, LED's from the fans and cathode's etc.... but it still was not POST'ing or displaying anything) until i put the 4 pin connector into the CPU power (my PSU has an 8/4 connector that splits apart) and im positive that the PSU has enough power to do the job (700w)

After i put the 4 pin in the CPU, thats when everything went to ***, meaning nothing would turn on anymore.... which leads me to believe that it shorted it...

Im going to try the breadboard idea when i get home becuase im gonna go eat some lobster!!!! yum yum, something to take me off the monotony....

Thanks for all your help guys, i have a feeling im gonna become pretty active in these forums, as im getting my AAS in comptuer networking tech hehe
m
l
March 25, 2010 12:17:28 AM

SOLVED

But its probably not the answer you would like to hear.....

After i went through all of those steps, even the bread board idea, nothing happened, after testing the mobo with a DMM i found that it was in fact dead, it had happened after i installed the 4 pin CPU power....

Which also fried the PSU i was using....

So next time (or before if your smart) make sure you connect everything right

Had to drive back to phoenix and buy a new mobo and PSU stupidity cost me about 200 bucks....

Thanks for all your help guys!!!!!!
m
l
March 25, 2010 7:07:02 AM

Sorry for your loss ... live-n-learn.

Thank you for reporting back ... It helps with our statistics.

= Alvin =
m
l
Related resources
!