PSU Cooling upgrade?

acer0169

Distinguished
So spring/summer is rolling in and my temps are going up 1-2C a week. I've never had any problems with components over heating as I don't mind a loud computer if it keeps it as cool as it can. I have 8 high-airflow fans (between 65CFM and 110CFM) all over my cosmos s. Thing is now.. my PSU is now getting warmer than it ever has. The top of the PSU gets quite warm to the touch which it doesn't in the winter. Issue is my new ASUS motherboard puts my second GTX 260 only about 12mm away from the PSU meaning it's constantly 8C warmer than my other GTX 260. At idle my prime (top) card runs at about 36C but my second cards runs at 44C.

I know this isn't a huuuge problem as I've seen many people with smaller cases with idle temps in the low 40's anyway.. but I was just wondering if there was anyway I could get rid of that heat?

There isn't a PCI expansion slot under my bottom graphics card otherwise taking the cover off it would probably solve the issue. I haven't got the side fan on my Cosmos S as it hits my CPU cooler and even with modification like I've seen some people do.. the fan blades would be smacking the heatsink.

I'm not sure if either getting a new fan for the PSU would be a good move and if it would actually make much of a difference?
I was also thinking maybe if I attach a fan to the rear of the PSU (proud of the case) to "suck" the hot air out of it as there isn't much airflow coming out of the back. Would that solve the issue?

Just after some thoughts and suggestions :]
Thanks in advance.

ace

My primary idles at 45, the secondary at 41, on a tech bench, there's nothing wrong with your temps.
An 1100 watt psu shouldn't be heating up, you'll put less than a 50% load on it when running one of the power viruses.

acer0169

Distinguished
Thanks to both of you. I didn't realise low 40's was all that common. I've been trying to keep my cards around 35C if I can ha! Maybe I'm just used to older graphic cards that ran cool. My old 8600GTS cards idle at 25C (aftermarket cooler) and load around 40C.

My PSU warms up over a few hours if I'm working, or warms quickly I'm running GTA4 or Crysis for a while. Maybe it's time I got it out and cleaned the fan and heatsinks etc.

acer0169

Distinguished
Tell me about it. I want to try placing a fan on the back of the PSU as put in my first post so I'll report back with results after. I'm hoping to keep both GPU's at the same temps so I don't have to have the second GTX's fan so high. :]