Video card bracket sizes

creativeone1

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
Hello,
I have pretty hard question for me ,but probably easy for you!
I want to buy a videocard - HD 4550 - but , I dont know if i got correct size bracket, becouse there are normal profile and low profile ... and I dont think that every developer will inclute all thouse changable brackets !
So - I want to know , which size i got - bracket is around 10,5 CM long ( IDK how much in inches ) and that is not the case lenght , case is bigger!

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
You need to be more specific.

What type of case do you have? Make/Model if possible.

What specific make model of the video card are you looking to purchase?

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Roughly, about 12cm as measured on the card.

Unless you have a low profile case this shouldn't be an issue.

If you do have a low profile case, then you need to know specifically what is included in the manufacturers package. So we would need a link to the product or the specific make/model.

Collie147

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
What case have you got? Low profile is about 8cm so you have a full size card there. Maybe it's the case that's the problem i.e. there should be a bracket holding in the rear of the card?

creativeone1

Distinguished
May 31, 2010

Whell , i dont know what case i got :D You could tell me where I could get info on that... + I dont have the card yet...

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Describe the case, is it a tower or is it flat with the monitor on top of it? Is it really slim and standing on its side (CD/DVD player opens vertically?)

You need to provide us with details. Can you provide us with a picture? Even one taken from a cell phone cam would do.

The card doesn't include a LP Bracket. You can buy a seperate one HERE IS AN EXAMPLE

This is only required if you actually have a low profile case.

creativeone1

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
no , not like that... I'd post a pic , just let me find a strange shaped camera ( it's supposed to be somewhere in my desk ( it's small ) )

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
That case should measure approx 20cm across the back. standard ATX case, you only need to make sure that you have an available PCIE slot to install the card into. To know that consult your motherboard manual.

You will also need to disable the onboard video card in the BIOS once your new card is installed.

creativeone1

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
about that that i have PCI-E x16 , i know i have it :D about the disabling - I turn off PC , put in v-card , go to BIOS , disable ( i think i know where i can disable , as i have been increasing and decreasing my onboard v-card memory so i could play Portal :D ) , but when i disable , what next ? Please tell me , if you can!

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Yep, although I would clean the old drivers out first, then reboot, BIOS, disable onboard video, save and reboot. Insert new video card driver CD. It will reboot in VGA mode, detect the card and ask for the drivers.

creativeone1

Distinguished
May 31, 2010

uhh.. So I need to turn off PC , put in V-card , turn in PC, clean drivers , reboot PC, enter BIOS , disable onboard , save , reboot and than insert CD ?

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Delete current video card under windows device manager
turn off computer
install new video card
turn on and enter BIOS (do not boot to windows)
disable "onboard video" save and exit
machine will reboot, detect new video card and ask for drivers
Insert driver cd and select 'find drivers automatically'.