5800k maximum memory speeds

mcchase

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Hi guys,

Before I start I'd like to make it clear I have NO experience whatsoever with memory overclocking, so please forgive me when I sound like an idiot - that being said, I'm currently looking at building a system utilising the 5800k APU. Everything I have read so far stresses the importance of memory speed to obtain the most from the integrated graphics chip, yet I have seen no system running at more than 2133Mhz.

My current thoughts on hardware are the Asrock Fm2a85x mobo (stated capability of 2600Mhz memory speed) combined with 8Gb of Kingston HyperX Predator memory (2400Mhz). But now I'm second guessing as to whether this is a good idea as I'm completely unsure if it's possible to run at these frequencies being as, quite frankly, I have no real idea what I'm doing.

So my question is; is 2400Mhz stable memory speed easy to obtain in this hypothetical system? What BIOS settings would need to be changed?

Thanks in advace,

Chase.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
You seriously dont need memory faster than 1600MHz, anything over 1600MH is kind of pointless right now... If you already have 2400MHz as stock then there shouldnt be any problem but if your overclocking then you shouldn't even other because it takes forever or even a whole week with computer on 24/7 doing test for 100% complete stable... If i were you i spend money on a $100 dedicated graphic card because it'll outperform an integrated by nearly 1000%

mcchase

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I have read that anything over 1600Mhz is pointless for systems that have a dedicated graphics card with their own designation video memory, however, the integrated graphics chip in the APU greatly benefits from faster system memory. Indeed the benchmarks I have seen show that system memory speed is a far more important factor for the 5800k graphics performance than the clockspeed of the graphics chip is.

That CPU has a stock max DDR3 frequency of 1866. Anything over that you will need to overclock. This means voiding your warranty, possibly frying components, or getting a stable system. As each piece of Hardware will overclock differently, even though they are that same exact part, it will be next to impossible to tell you exactly what that system will do. It will depend on the memory controller on the the CPU if it will handle anything above 1866.

My opinion is set it to 1866 and do a desecrate Graphics card. If you insist on OCing then it will be a long process. it took me a month to get to where my machine is at now for an OC.

Some programs excel with higher ram speeds. One is F1 2012. photo shop is another so you cant really say it is pointless any more. At one time that would have been true. here is a link to a test Toms did just recently on games and memory speed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-bandwidth-latency-gaming,3409.html

some games have no performance increase some do so why not go for the gusto?

mcchase

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009

Pointless was a strong word, but this is really beside the point. I was just stating that system memory speed is a large contributing factor to the graphical performance of the APU that is not seen with a dedicated graphics card which will have it's own dedicated amount or GDDR5 (or whatever) memory. I have no interest in a dedicated GPU for this build - it is not an option.

Thanks for the information on the CPU memory controller though. If components are kept cool while voltage is increased, am I to presume that 2400Mhz would be possible?