New Build for Heavy Work

astronomeric210

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1 month BUDGET RANGE: 300-400 Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Work, Heavy Program Usage, Internet, No gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg or tigerdirect

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to use an AMD CPU & Biostar mobo with a 24" LCD and full tower case)

OVERCLOCKING: no SLI OR CROSSFIRE: I dont know

MONITOR RESOLUTION: whatever the default is for a 22in wide, I am not near the monitor atm

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Needs lots of power, I run many programs at once, heavy programs. Need as much RAM as possible for a deal.

Thanks in advance

Ben_M

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
Hunter is right. You don't have the budget to build a serious "heavy program usage" computer. This is the best I could come up with in your general budget, though. It'll be quite good at general multitasking, some multi-threaded work, and respectable at CPU-based rendering, if you use 3D software like Blender, 3DS Max, or Maya.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Y4sNK8

Essentially, it's a AMD FX-8320 8-core CPU with 16GB DDR3/1600 RAM and a 1TB hard drive.
Going with your bit about not playing games, I more or less threw the GPU out the window and chose a AMD HD 5450 1GB. I used to have one of these, and it worked just fine for general life.
The only thing it is missing is the operating system. If you use Linux, then it's free, while if you use Windows, it's $100ish.
As I post, the system cost is $420 before rebates and promos. With Windows, it becomes $520.