Cheap board vs Expensive board

parasight

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Hi, I'm planning to buy a new gaming-pc with the 3570k.. now many people suggested Z77 board, which will be good for overclocking.
I wanted to ask, which differences will I see between 3.4ghz and 4.5ghz?
I will be gaming, mostly..
I'm asking because z77 boards are quite expensive for me.. there are boards like Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H which recieved alot of good reviews and their price is half of z77, but it's not good for overclocking. I don't know if I'll even need to overclock.
can anyone help me with my dilemma? cheap board with no overclocking vs z77 board with overclocking. and will I really need to overclock a CPU like the 3570k?
thanks.

EzioAs

Distinguished
For gaming, there's really no point in overclocking the 3570K, it's capable even at stock speed. Most people just did it because they can. CPUs with "K" suffix and Z77/Z75 motherboards are requirement for overclocking current Intel CPUs.

If you're not into overclocking, might as well get the cheaper i5-3470 and a B75/H77 motherboard. For gaming, it's more than enough.

parasight

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
I do want my rig to last long.. and I want the option to overclock in the future..
can't B75 boards be slightly overclocked?
will they hold turbo-boost without being damaged?

With a 3570K, it would be silly to not buy a Z77 based motherboard. They are not significantly more expensive. Here is a ASRock Z77M that costs $15 more than the B75 board you listed: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157325

For your $15, you get the ability to conservatively raise the multiplier from 3.4 to 4.3 or so, a 25% cpu improvement for a trivial delta cost.
You may not need to oc initially, but the cpu on your gaming rig will last you 4 years if you can OC.

The graphics card is the most important component for a gaming pc.
You did not say what your graphics card will be. My rule of thumb is to spend twice my cpu budget on the graphics card.
That means you should be looking at a GTX670 class card.

EzioAs

Distinguished
You'll be limited to base clock adjustments and it's very limited. If you want to overclock get a Z77 board. Some of them aren't really expensive (be aware, they might/will not overclock as good as the more expensive ones.)

parasight

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
the cheap ones are not available on my country, sadly.. every board that's available here costs double than the B75. I'd purchase from overseas but i'm afraid it will get damaged.
I will have the Gigabyte 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4102).

The only overclock available on B75 is via BCLK. The potential is in the 2-4% range, and it affects all parts of the cpu so one needs to be very careful.
I would really discount it. The integrated graphics can be overclocked on a B75, but that is irrelevant for a gamer with a discrete graphics card.

Possibly a Z75 based motherboard could do the job since it is capable of cpu overclocking. But, read the specs very carefully on the specific motherboard since the bios may not give you that option.
For your reference, there is a nice summary of the various chipset capabilities:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155

With what you are spending in total, I think you are being penny wise and pound foolish not to buy a Z77 based motherboard.

Look elsewhere for savings. A cheaper case perhaps?

List the rest of your specs and a link to where you might purchase from.
I imagine you can get some good suggestions.

parasight

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
I wanted the 3570k with 7970 OC
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM
LanCool K63 + SeaSonic S12II 620W (bundle and it's cheap)
Scythe Mugen 3 cooler which I already own
Kingston 4x2 1600mhz 1.5V
I could go with 3470 and B75 board, or 3570k and z77 board. the cheapest z77 available in my country are Gigabyte GAZ77D3H, Gigabyte GAZ77MXD3H, Asrock Z77 Pro3 which are about 80$ more expensive than the B75M-D3L, plus I'll have to order them from a different store and that means i'll have to build the rig by myself.
what do you think?

EzioAs

Distinguished
Everything else looks nice. Again, seriously, if you don't want to overclock, get the 3470 and B75 board. If you want to, then you'll probably have to spend some more. It's normal really, Z77 motherboards are mostly expensive than any B75 boards although in your case, it seems a bit too much.

parasight

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

It really sucks that everything is so expensive in here.. the 1K build from your signature comes out 1370$ for me..
anyway I built this, tell me what you think.
-
Intel Quad-Core i5 3570K 3.4Ghz 6MB Tray
Scythe Mugen 3
MSI Z77A-GD55 Sata3 Usb3 VGA/DVI/HDMI
Kingston Kit (4Gx2) Hyper-X XMP (extreme memory profile)
Seagate 1TB SATA3, Barracuda 7200.14
Gigabyte 7950 Winforce OC 3GB, GDDR5
LanCool K63
Seasonic S12II 620W

I do not see the B75-M-D3L listed on the Gigabyte web site.
The cheaper models will have only 2 ram slots. Make certain that your ram kit is 2 x 4gb, not 4 x 2gb.

If the shop is willing to use your cpu cooler(it does have a 1155 mount kit?), perhaps they would be willing to use a motherboard you needed to purchase elsewhere.
Try your negotiating skills.
If all else fails, it is not difficult to assemble a pc on your own.
In fact, there is a definite value in the learning process. You will still get the manufacturer's warranty, or a return to the shop in the unlikely chance that you have a defective part.