Inspiron 3800 &W98SE

Not sure if this might be hardware or software related.

Did not load APM settings, no suspend mode available,
in power settings have disabled screen saver, and never is monitor and
hard drive turn off time. power scheme is AC at all times.

Loads up fine, and works fine as long as you don't leave for better than
15 minutes or so.

Once in a while windows explorer freezes, mouse and touchpad will move
the pointer but that's it. Keyboard is non responsive.

Only way back is cold boot.

Have run Adaware, Spybot S&D, and EZ Cleaner, nothing snooping that I
can find. Defragged, scandisked, and disk cleanup done.

Any particular damaged file I should replace, or reinstall over top of
present?

Or is it a COMMINIST PLOT to take over the world, as Col Jack D. Ripper
thought in Dr. Strangelove. ;)

Thanks
Mark
1 answer Last reply
More about inspiron 3800 w98se

    "pheasant" <kiavan02@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Not sure if this might be hardware or software related.
    >
    > Did not load APM settings, no suspend mode available,
    > in power settings have disabled screen saver, and never is monitor and
    > hard drive turn off time. power scheme is AC at all times.
    >
    > Loads up fine, and works fine as long as you don't leave for better
    > than
    > 15 minutes or so.
    >
    > Once in a while windows explorer freezes, mouse and touchpad will move
    > the pointer but that's it. Keyboard is non responsive.
    >
    > Only way back is cold boot.
    >
    > Have run Adaware, Spybot S&D, and EZ Cleaner, nothing snooping that I
    > can find. Defragged, scandisked, and disk cleanup done.
    >
    > Any particular damaged file I should replace, or reinstall over top of
    > present?
    >
    > Or is it a COMMINIST PLOT to take over the world, as Col Jack D.
    > Ripper
    > thought in Dr. Strangelove. ;)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mark

    With Win98SE, this is one OS that benefits from a reinstall over the
    Checker (Run, sfc) which might find a corrupted or damaged system file,
    but from what I can recall, an install over the top of the current
    install was the first place to start. Norton Utilities WinDoctor was
    good for me to find problems with the OS, etc. RegCleaner 4 (the
    Microsoft cleaner) will fix registry errors. Otherwise, what is running
    in the background? This OS was subject to memory leaks from some loaded
    apps. If something loaded at startup is leaking, the screen lock type
    of failure is typical (again, as I recall. Fortunately, I no longer
    have a Win98 install). You can disable startups from the run command,
    msconfig, startup tab to test startup apps.

Laptops